Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Default OC Event Crash-and-Burn

Here’s the story: I have an OC hike planned for Brady’s Run Park (Beaver County) for Saturday morning, posted it on POOFA and a local hiking group’s site (the write-up is quoted in the POOFA listing, please no flames about the rules, could be untrained people showing up). We’ll be nearly invisible to the public, sticking to the trails, and the park and local police have been notified, so it’s not hard-core. Background – I’m a well-trained and experienced outdoor trip leader for a few organizations. I love to create unique, fun, adventurous events, and have gotten pretty good at it. Also have gotten some good firearms training, and NRA RSO certification.

Anyway, when I hit “send”, I knew things might get crazy; sure, it’s pretty provocative to some. I figured that a few hikers who were interested would go, the ones that weren’t interested wouldn’t, and a few would vocally disagree on political grounds. Two rsvp’d yes, and 7 or 8 posted favorable comments, like “This sounds great! Too bad I have plans” and “A hike at Gameland in Wexford with range time could be fun”. So far, so good.

Then the shitstorm started. First, “Can't believe you provide a forum for such trash; studies are clear that your chances of being killed or wounded rise dramatically in the presence of any firearm.” (wanted to say “yeah, that’s why I carry”, but I didn’t – had to be respectful), and went downhill from there. A mere three people overran the listing with comments, just like an Occupy group, and also started ranting on the group’s message board. They created quite the hysteria – OMG, armed hikers showing up at any of our events now! The owner of the site and I agreed that it was spiraling out of control, and the listing had to be pulled.

OK, posting it there was pretty ballsy, but probably pretty stupid too. I get that – again, no need to flame. But the “hikers with guns” hysteria got me thinking – maybe this state needs a “PA Hikers With Guns” group. The Meetup platform is great for scheduling and managing events, I already have Organizer access, and it’s free to users. I could very easily have a site up and running in a few days. Can’t OC in state parks yet, but there’s also OC in state forests, county & local parks with trails, city streets, etc.

So how many of yinz would join PA Hikers With Guns? Anyone have a better name for the group? Also, if you’d be interested in volunteering to lead your own hikes for the group, say so in a post here, and tell us what parks you might hike at. It only works with volunteers. Speak up – if there’s a good response, I’ll “make it so.”

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: OC Event Crash-and-Burn

that all goes along with why would you need a gun at a restaurant mindset.

Did you expect anything less from the "Granola munching" outdoor crowd? Not to stereotype, but much of the hiking crowd is of the left wing mentality. You even knew this going into your venture, as you were apprehensive about your posting. I guess you got the reaction you were expecting.
    Jules

Quote Originally Posted by ar15jules View Post
    Did you expect anything less from the "Granola munching" outdoor crowd? Not to stereotype, but much of the hiking crowd is of the left wing mentality. You even knew this going into your venture, as you were apprehensive about your posting. I guess you got the reaction you were expecting.
    Jules
    Jules you left out tree hugging, com by ya singing, dirt worshiping, pot smoking, VW van driving left wingers~!
    Any how OP I hike armed and thats about that. I dont know that a group is needed. However I am only one opinion. I say go for it make a group and see what happens!
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Allegheny County)

i had read your post i actually liked it, but then again im one of those gun toting whackos
    I dislike the diamond commercials, give me something useful like guns, ammo or cookware.

Start a group in the ZRT, a lot of them like survivalist hiking outdoorsy things (like me) I actually hike a LOT, down here in Delco, we have a few decent trails that aren't too turfed up by the quad and dirtbike crowd.
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

(Lebanon County)

I enjoy taking family and friends hiking, but now is hunting season. either way I ALWAYS have a defensive firearm with me. Most time the round in the pipe is snake shot (the rest are regular defensive rounds). I've encountered enough of the yuppie hikers out there who think that the hunters need to be out of the "Nice Park" we call the game lands to feel that a hunting license should be required to set foot on game lands, in or out of season. Either way, I wouldn't mind being a local guide, more people we introduce to the woods the better.

(Lancaster County)

For the idiots that can't comprehend why you'd possibly need a firearm in a park or along trails, point them to this: http://www.wgal.com/news/29669368/detail.html

Police said Lynette Wilhelm, 44, was entering a hiking trail and was on the phone with her mother when the pit bull came out of the trees and attacked her.Her mother drove to the area immediately and along the way flagged down a state trooper for help.
    Good thing the woman was able to flag down a cop, or things could have been a lot worse. If she had a firearm with her, chances are, she might not have been hurt at all.

Or maybe this one:

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?se...les&id=8234883

Or this:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xjc...ley-trail_news

I bet I could go on for a long time digging times where a firearm could be handy along a trail.
    Last edited by streaker69; November 3rd, 2011 at 08:42 AM.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by theshadow View Post
    I've encountered enough of the yuppie hikers out there who think that the hunters need to be out of the "Nice Park" we call the game lands to feel that a hunting license should be required to set foot on game lands, in or out of season.
    You may have meant this as a joke, and I'm sorry if I'm overreacting, but this statement bothers me.

It's like saying "I've encountered enough of the rightwing wackos out there who think that carrying a gun is some sort of God-given right even in the stupidest and most dangerous of places, to feel that a firearm license should be required to even own a gun, let alone carry it." You don't like other people's opinions, so you want to restrict their rights/privileges.

State Game Lands are set aside primarily for hunting, but it's my understanding that in many cases older Game Lands plots were given to the state for the general benefit of the commonwealth (often they were old worked-out mineral rights stakes and the like). They should be available for the safe enjoyment of all, hunters and nonhunters alike.

(The closet libertarian in me wants to sell off all the state game lands lands and turn them into privately managed hunting reserves for paying members because the state shouldn't be in the business of operating what amounts to a statewide sportsmen's club anymore than it should be in the booze business, but the "compassionate conservative" in me says to keep the Game Lands as long as they are open for all to enjoy and benefit from, like parks.)
    Last edited by twency; November 3rd, 2011 at 09:40 AM.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

(Berks County)

State Game lands are set aside primarily for hunting, but it's my understanding that in many cases older Game Lands plots were given to the state
    Sometimes land is given....most times it is purchased...not by the State, but by the Game Commision. It is my understanding NO general funds go to the Game Commision, it is its own entity surviving on License fees, fines and the excise taxes generated that fund the USFWS and apportions out to individual states.

Game land is Hunter land....any incidental use by the "public" is a privilage to them. There have been quite a few cases brought up where non-hunters wanted (demanded) hiking or biking trails put in game lands, far as I know the Game Commision hasn't allowed it yet.

There are millions of acres of land set aside here in PA, it is essentially a wildlife refuge, you aren't supposed to camp in it or make fires, you want to hike through it during hunting season do so at your own risk, and don't dare disturb a hunter while doing it or you will be fined.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast