Here’s the story: I have an OC hike planned for Brady’s Run Park (Beaver County) for Saturday morning, posted it on POOFA and a local hiking group’s site (the write-up is quoted in the POOFA listing, please no flames about the rules, could be untrained people showing up). We’ll be nearly invisible to the public, sticking to the trails, and the park and local police have been notified, so it’s not hard-core. Background – I’m a well-trained and experienced outdoor trip leader for a few organizations. I love to create unique, fun, adventurous events, and have gotten pretty good at it. Also have gotten some good firearms training, and NRA RSO certification.

Anyway, when I hit “send”, I knew things might get crazy; sure, it’s pretty provocative to some. I figured that a few hikers who were interested would go, the ones that weren’t interested wouldn’t, and a few would vocally disagree on political grounds. Two rsvp’d yes, and 7 or 8 posted favorable comments, like “This sounds great! Too bad I have plans” and “A hike at Gameland in Wexford with range time could be fun”. So far, so good.

Then the shitstorm started. First, “Can't believe you provide a forum for such trash; studies are clear that your chances of being killed or wounded rise dramatically in the presence of any firearm.” (wanted to say “yeah, that’s why I carry”, but I didn’t – had to be respectful), and went downhill from there. A mere three people overran the listing with comments, just like an Occupy group, and also started ranting on the group’s message board. They created quite the hysteria – OMG, armed hikers showing up at any of our events now! The owner of the site and I agreed that it was spiraling out of control, and the listing had to be pulled.

OK, posting it there was pretty ballsy, but probably pretty stupid too. I get that – again, no need to flame. But the “hikers with guns” hysteria got me thinking – maybe this state needs a “PA Hikers With Guns” group. The Meetup platform is great for scheduling and managing events, I already have Organizer access, and it’s free to users. I could very easily have a site up and running in a few days. Can’t OC in state parks yet, but there’s also OC in state forests, county & local parks with trails, city streets, etc.

So how many of yinz would join PA Hikers With Guns? Anyone have a better name for the group? Also, if you’d be interested in volunteering to lead your own hikes for the group, say so in a post here, and tell us what parks you might hike at. It only works with volunteers. Speak up – if there’s a good response, I’ll “make it so.”