Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (Dauphin County)

Default Re: OC Event Crash-and-Burn

Quote Originally Posted by 762xIan View Post
    Sometimes land is given....most times it is purchased...not by the State, but by the Game Commision. It is my understanding NO general funds go to the Game Commision,
    I apologize as it appears I was wrong about that. I thought I had read in the past that historically the game lands started with property donated to the state generally, but I did a google search just now and can't find anything to support that claim. Perhaps I was confusing the history of the Game Lands with that of some state parks and forests.

it is its own entity surviving on License fees, fines and the excise taxes generated that fund the USFWS and apportions out to individual states.
    I pay that excise tax when I buy ammunition even as a nonhunter, don't I?

Game land is Hunter land....any incidental use by the "public" is a privilage to them. There have been quite a few cases brought up where non-hunters wanted (demanded) hiking or biking trails put in game lands, far as I know the Game Commision hasn't allowed it yet.

There are millions of acres of land set aside here in PA, it is essentially a wildlife refuge, you aren't supposed to camp in it or make fires, you want to hike through it during hunting season do so at your own risk, and don't dare disturb a hunter while doing it or you will be fined.
    In that case it should be sold off and operated as a private club. (I had edited my previous comment to suggest this, possibly after you'd read it.) I don't think the state (and the Game Commission is an arm of the state) should be operating a members-only hunting club.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

As I recently moved to this state I took a hunter's safety course to get a good feel on the PA hunting rules/regs and to ask questions in person. Besides a general hunters safety refresher is always a good thing.

It was stated in the class that fees from firearm purchases and money made from sale of hunting licenses provided the funds for the game commision to purchase game lands. Some is donated and some is purchaseed. It was pitched that game lands is YOUR land as a hunter since your license money not only purchased it but maintains it.
    "If guns cause crime then all of mine are defective." -Ted Nugent

(Dauphin County)

I'd join an armed hiking club. I like being armed, and I like hiking/camping/ outdoorsmanship and etc. In fact, I'm going off-roading/camping with a group from my Nissan Xterra club and I shall be OCing =)

I vote yes on an Armed Hikers Club.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by ar15jules View Post
    Did you expect anything less from the "Granola munching" outdoor crowd? Not to stereotype, but much of the hiking crowd is of the left wing mentality. You even knew this going into your venture, as you were apprehensive about your posting. I guess you got the reaction you were expecting.
    Jules
    I wasn't apprehensive, so much as just unsure what would happen. I don't think you're stereotype fits the group; it's a pretty good cross section. Twice as many people posted favorable comments, but the anti's were rabid. Isn't that always the way, with the "tolerant" left? "How dare you hold views WE don't approve of?"

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    Then the shitstorm started. First, “Can't believe you provide a forum for such trash; studies are clear that your chances of being killed or wounded rise dramatically in the presence of any firearm.” (wanted to say “yeah, that’s why I carry”, but I didn’t – had to be respectful), and went downhill from there. A mere three people overran the listing with comments, just like an Occupy group, and also started ranting on the group’s message board. They created quite the hysteria – OMG, armed hikers showing up at any of our events now! The owner of the site and I agreed that it was spiraling out of control, and the listing had to be pulled.
    I wish you would have asked us for some help before pulling the ad.

I think that many here would have posted to educate the uneducated. If nothing else, we would have prevented them from swamping the board.
    Help us restore election integrity in PA. Join PA Voters United

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by longcall911 View Post

I think that many here would have posted to educate the uneducated. If nothing else, we would have prevented them from swamping the board.

^ This.

Good on you Scruff, for trying something, seemed like it had great potential. Now it sounds like the listing and the event have both been pulled, handing a victory to the rabid, idiotic "antis".

And don't we hate that? I know I do. I wish this were closer to me. I am not a hiker, and I live on the other side of the state, but I would support a CC or OC event.

Among rational and reasonable adults, screeching mindless hysteria should not rule the day.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Originally Posted by longcall911

No, couldn't do that; it's a private site. I know and respect the owner of the site, and as a trip leader, I'm a representative of the group, so I wasn't going to fan the flames. I tried to take control of the listing by cutting & pasting the rants from the event's comment section to the discussion forum, but the crybabies started screaming "censorship", even though not one of their comments were deleted. Typical childish leftist behavior.
    Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    Among rational and reasonable adults, screeching mindless hysteria should not rule the day.
    But it often does, Curmudgeon. I tried real hard to deal with them respectfully, and it's left me mentally exhausted and somewhat demoralized. Even your shining, smiling baby face isn't cheering me up today.
    Last edited by scruff; November 3rd, 2011 at 12:02 PM.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post

But it often does, Curmudgeon. I tried real hard to deal with them respectfully, and it's left me mentally exhausted and somewhat demoralized. Even your shining, smiling baby face isn't cheering me up today.

So do it again, only this time maybe start it here, get it developed into something with participation and support from the members here. Then, once it looks solid, drop it on the other forum/site with a "we're doing this, join us or not" invitation. Then it won't matter what they say or do. You can't stop their mindless blather, but you can prevent it from having any effect.

Again, I just wish I lived closer. As I said, I don't hike, but I'd be all over this.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by twency View Post
    You may have meant this as a joke, and I'm sorry if I'm overreacting, but this statement bothers me.

It's like saying "I've encountered enough of the rightwing wackos out there who think that carrying a gun is some sort of God-given right even in the stupidest and most dangerous of places, to feel that a firearm license should be required to even own a gun, let alone carry it." You don't like other people's opinions, so you want to restrict their rights/privileges.
    Sorry to offend you, but you've already been set straight on the origins of the Game lands, now let me give three examples of why I feel this way, and it has nothing to do about feelings, but safety, and preservation.

Several years ago, I was introducing my new bride and her daughter to the great outdoor at my local hunting grounds, I was also scouting the area. It was a BEAUTIFUL fall Sunday. part way into the game lands, we encounter an older woman and her dog. Her comment was "I can't wait for hunting time to be over, and all those nasty hunters leave, so me and my dog can have our park back" WTF, THEIR PARK? Nasty hunters? Well I did politely explain this was Game Lands, not a park, and it was the license fees and ammo taxes that those NASTY hunters (of which I am one) pay that bought the land so they can have a place to practice their sport, and out of generosity, the Game Lands are open to the public for all to enjoy as long as they obey the rules and don't disrupt the hunt. Her come back was 'well I moved here from Jersey and never heard of such a thing, I don't like it'.

A time later while small game hunting, I was in an open meadow, stalking a squirrel in a tree, I heard some leaves rustle, out of the corner of my eyes, I see some brown fur moving behind a tree along a trail. As I start turning, I see two women on horse back, dressed in brown, not a spot of orange on them. 'Ohh is it hunting season', 'Yes mam', 'Is the trail still open to the public?' 'Yes, mam, but I really recommend wearing bright colors, or better safety orange' 'Naw, we don't need it, we're not hunting'.

And the last one, maybe two years ago, Rifle deer season, I'm in my blind, and hear noise coming up the hill behind me, I slowly reposition so I have a shot, and here comes this little dog followed by a woman. I say 'excuse me, do you know it's hunting season and you need to have orange on in the game lands?' her reply was ' Ohh, no, it's ok, I just live over there, and am going over there, it's not that far'. Well, if you don't know Posted at the entrance to the game lands are the rules, which state between a time in November, and end of December any day that's not a Sunday you MUST have minimum safety orange if you're on the Game Lands, for your OWN safety.

Now since they insist on treating it like it's THEIR private domain, contributing nothing to the upkeep and maintenance, and ignoring the posted rules, why shouldn't I have the right to feel how I do??

(Montgomery County)

Granola bars are usually made of wood pulp which offers absolutely no nutritional value whatsoever.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast