Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Northampton County)

Default Trying to get Act 235 application passed

Does anyone know the answer to the following?

I have an arrest for theft from back in 1991 which I have to be honest I dont remember the disposition on it, but will that keep me from qualifying for Act 235? I have been asked of it just now from Lethal Weapons certification in Harrisburg, so I will get the info this Monday, I was just wondering if anyone knew if it would hinder me from getting qualified?

Thanks for the help.
    "Our government has no power except that granted it by the people."

President Ronald Reagan

Default Re: Trying to get Act 235 application passed

You should go to the UJS portal and find the case, or spend $10 and run you criminal history on the PSP PATCH system - you'll get an instant answer there. Do you have a LTCF, that might answer some of the questions you have.

(Northampton County)

I have had my LTCF for the past 6 years now, and didnt have a hiccup with that for the first license or the renewal license, so they must not do as detailed a check as for the Act application.

President Ronald Reagan

(Lycoming County)

The issue is twofold. First, if you may lawfully possess a firearm, you should be able to be LWTA Certified. What was the grade of the Theft offense?

Secondly, being hired with a theft conviction is another matter. It is difficult to convince a Client that you are going to protect their interest while employing an individual that has a theft conviction. The Private Detective Act of 1953 Section 23 Employes (b)(4) states:(4) That he has not been convicted of a felony, or of any offense involving moral turpitude, or of any of the misdemeanors or offenses described in subsection (a) of this section;

The application states right on it what prohibits and individual from being Certified. http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...cedures/517655

Be safe (and good luck).

Scott

(Northampton County)

Scott, thanks for the reply, the only thing I know right now since so much time has passed is that it was CC3929A1 which I dont know what that is other than Retail Theft. I can remember that is was for about $50.00 if my memory serves me correctly.

That was 20 years ago, and if anyone here knows that I was a dumb 19 year old then and made a dumb mistake, so I hope that they dont penalize me for that.

I would also say that i think an employer could look past an infraction like that from such a distant past, or at least I would hope so.

Thanks for the info.

President Ronald Reagan

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by bradjc72 View Post
    Scott, thanks for the reply, the only thing I know right now since so much time has passed is that it was CC3929A1 which I dont know what that is other than Retail Theft. I can remember that is was for about $50.00 if my memory serves me correctly.
    First offense for that value would be a Summary. I am fairly certain that it will not get in the way of Certification. I knew a PA Trooper who was accepted to the PSP Academy with a Summary Retail Theft.

I do a lot of Background Checks and have advised Clients to look past a Summary Retail Theft, depending on the position. You are correct, that could be explained to an employer if the opportunity should arise.

I wish you the best.

Be safe (and not that offensive).

Scott