Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Default Brady's Run Hike (with protection)

OC hike this Saturday, 9:00 am, Brady's Run Park, near Beaver Falls. I'm a volunteer trip leader for a few local outdoors organizations, and I've posted this on the Meetup.com Pittsburgh Hiking Group's site. Not sure how it will be received there, but I'll find out soon enough! See the Meetup write-up below for details (please no griping about the rules - I have no idea who might show up). If you plan on coming, please reply here. You can also join the Meetup group for free at http://www.meetup.com/pittsburghhikers/, and RSVP there.

If this is well attended, I'll do another in the spring. There's lots of non-state parks with good trails - Forbes State Forest, North Park, Riverview Park, etc. Hope this becomes a regular thing!

This Saturday, join us for an unusual 6-mile hike on the rugged trails of Beaver County’s Brady’s Run Park. What's so unusual about a 6-mile Fall hike at Brady's Run? We'll be exercising our legs, but some of us will also be exercising our 2nd Amendment rights by openly carrying our side arms. Everyone is welcome, whether or not they’re a gun owner. This hike will be cross-posted with the Pennsylvania Firearms Owners Association (PAFOA). We’ll no doubt have some interesting discussions along the way.

IS THAT LEGAL?

You may be surprised to learn that it’s perfectly legal. In Pennsylvania, a License to Carry Firearms (LTCF) is required for concealed carry, but anyone who can legally own a firearm can open carry their firearm without a license.

IS THAT SAFE?

Yes! Guns don’t “just go off”. With rare exception, “accidental” shootings aren’t really accidents, but negligent shootings by people who aren’t properly trained. To ensure everyone’s safety, we’ll review the basic gun safety rules at the start, and we’ll follow rules specific to this event:

• Holster your gun at home or at your car, before you approach the group.
    • The guns must be carried in a safe condition, i.e. safeties on where appropriate.
    • The guns will remain holstered at all times.
    • Your holster must cover the trigger guard, and it must retain the firearm in the case of a slip or fall. Many one-size-fits-all holsters are inappropriate. If the holster won’t hold the gun when inverted, it will not be allowed. The hike leader will be the judge.
    • Anyone not following the rules will be immediately asked to leave the group.

HOW MANY PEOPLE AROUND HERE CArry a gun ?

One of every 13 Pennsylvanians have a LTCF. People around you are safely carrying concealed firearms every day, but they are “in the closet.” Millions of Americans carry every day. Why? Because they can’t carry a cop! They have decided that they’d like to be better able to protect themselves and their families. They don’t expect to be attacked today; they don’t expect their house to burn down today either. But they choose to arm themselves for that possibility, just as they feel safer having working smoke detectors in the house. Most seek formal training, and many practice regularly. It’s also a proven fact that the crime rate goes down significantly in every state that institutes the right to carry – criminals are more hesitant to commit a crime if they know there’s a real chance that their victim might be armed. Therefore, everyone becomes safer.

Why would someone OC?

There are many reasons. Carrying in the open can be more comfortable than CC. In some instances, OC prevents crimes, when a criminal sees the gun and abandons his plans. For many OC’ers, however, “coming out of the closet” is a way to demonstrate that carrying a firearm is safe, common, and nothing to be ashamed of.

What kind of people DON’T OC?

Criminals! Let’s face it, anyone openly carrying a side arm sticks out like a sore thumb. Criminals run from that kind of attention. If you see someone with a side arm in line at Wal-Mart buying diapers, he or she is certainly not a threat.

Do I need a LTCF to bring my gun?

Yes, and no…. A LTCF is not needed to hike with your gun showing. However, if you put a coat on over your holster, or otherwise cover it up, you’ll need a license. Also, a LTCF is needed to transport your gun in your car, even unloaded. If you don’t have a license, you’ll have to arrange other transportation (perhaps with a friend who has a license).

IS THIS POLITICAL ACTIVISIM?

I suppose some might take it that way, but that’s not the intent. I’ve always tried to come up with unusual and adventurous hikes, and this fits that mold. No one will be evangelizing, and the event itself will be noticed by few people, as we’ll be deep in the woods most of the time. People of all political persuasions are truly welcome, and all viewpoints will be treated respectfully. You’re free to agree or disagree, and free to attend or not. I only ask that comments here be limited to information and questions about the event itself. Any political discussions should take place in a separate thread on the message board, not in the event listing.

About the hike-

We’ll meet in the recreation center parking lot, and we’ll start at 9:00 AM – please show up a little early. From Rt. 51, turn into the park’s main entrance at Brady's Run Rd, and then make the first left into the recreation center driveway. Bring snacks and water. Hiking boots are recommended, as there will be muddy spots.

Whether you bring your own gun, come to learn something new, come to disagree, or just come for the adventure of it, I can guarantee we’ll have a fun bunch and a really unusual event. Hope you can make it!

(Beaver County)

Default Re: Brady's Run Hike (with protection)

pending on the weather and my kids mood me and my 3 kids should be there
    Never go face to face with a gunslinger. Wait until he turns his back.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Last Gunfighter View Post
    pending on the weather and my kids mood me and my 3 kids should be there
    Good deal Last Gunfighter, I plan to give the police a heads-up, so this should be a little easier for you than last week! Hope yinz all can make it.

(Beaver County)

Im definitely gonna try to make this...pending my job doesn't kill me beforehand.

(Butler County)

bump - anyone else?

(Beaver County)

don't know how far we'll go but we'll be there
    Never go face to face with a gunslinger. Wait until he turns his back.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Last Gunfighter View Post
    don't know how far we'll go but we'll be there
    Sounds good. We'll have a small group, you guys, Spartakus, a couple of others from the hiking group site who RSVP'd before that listing was taken down, and myself. It'll be fun.

Did you see my thread about the sheriff & parks dept being so cool about it? Unlike Cranberry, guaranteed no OC hassles tomorrow!

(Butler County)

Are there any plans for another one of these OC hikes in the near future. I live right in the area and would be interested in going.
    Thank you.