Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

View Poll Results: Worth it or Not? $5000+ custom built guns like the Wilson Combat Super-Grade.

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, completely worth it, you will never see a better 1911.

11 23.91%
  • Maybe, if I knew that it would be worth more in a given period of time.

1 2.17%
  • Not a snowball's chance in hell! There is no point to spending $5000+ on a 1911!

34 73.91%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Wilson Combat Super-Grade.

So here's a question for the masses. Do you think that it would be / is worth it to spend $5000 on a Wilson Combat Super-Grade of some type because it is beyond any doubt, one of the very best made guns on the planet. Or is it a total Rip-off because one can get the same kind of functionality out of a Dan Wesson 1911 or even some other Sub-$1000 guns.

I Vote "worth it" for the intrinsic value.

Addendum:
    For clarification; I'm not going to buy one of these, I wasn't even considering it. It was a purely philosophical exercise.

Oh, no question about it. The shooter is the determining factor of accuracy. RIA Mil-spec or Wilson Super-Grade. That doesn't change, if the shooter can shoot straight, he'll hit with either, once he is familiar with them.
    Last edited by SCBaldr; November 2nd, 2011 at 07:10 PM. Reason: People not reading the whole thread.
    The M1. Smackin' the bastards since 1932.

(Northumberland County)

Default Re: Wilson Combat Super-Grade.

Why not, if you can afford it and you want one do it. I hope to have a Volkmann in my collection one day, and I don't care if a Dan Wesson is just as good or better. Some people look at art on a wall and think "$5,000 what a bargain, it would great on my wall" I look at a Volkmann and say " but baby I can shoot it too" to each his/her own!
    I shot a $70,000 Holland and Holland O/U in California and it was one of the best shooting experiences I ever had, and I couldn't hit shit with it. I blamed it on the paper shells the owner made me use!! It was an honor to swing a piece of art like that and hit, nothing. Do it.
    "You never lived till you almost died, for those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know"

(Cumberland County)

I said no, with a caveat. I'd settle for a CQB. Then I have 2k to use for a few cases of .45 acp so I can try to break the CQB. When it comes down it I'd still feel that I was getting one of the world finest 1911s.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

I personally would never spend that much on a single firearm 1911 or not. Unless I won the POWERBALL and only if I won $100,000,000 plus after taxes.

IMO if you have it spend it how you like to. It's just like Mosin Nagant purists that say don't sporterize a Mosin Nagant. If you have the money and you want to sporterize it do it. Don't let others hate on you for doing it.

Now my question becomes this...

$5,000+ 1911 Vs. a $500-$1,000 1911 how much of a performance difference is there going to truly be? I am sure the craftsmanship of he $5,000+ 1911 will be far superior to a $500 1911 and even a $1,000 1911 for that much there better be.

(Mercer County)

My vote is spend the $5,000 for the Wilson if you want it and can afford it.

It just like a car or home:

I can live in a $10,000 shack in the bad part of town or I spend $150K and move to a better area. IMHO you can sleep in either.

A car is transportation and you can get from point A to point B in a $500 beater; but I chose to drive a classic Caddy.
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

(Monroe County)

Hey , The Dutch paid $26 for Manhattan, its a matter of perception, - what you percieve as WORTH, as with any product after a while you reach the point of zero returns, what in the world can Wilson do to a 100 year old gun to make it worth $5000? A 1911 is a 1911 even if says Wilson on it.

(Delaware County)

It's on my bucket list. I already have a CQB Elite and let me tell you,,, all 1911's are not created equal. I want one with Turnbull blueing and a couple of other details.

Saving my dollars...........
    George,
    So many guns, so little money.

(Montgomery County)

I have four Wilsons and I must say that there are marked differences between these weapons and other 1911s. Having said that: I also have a Dan Wesson Valor and believe it is very well built with outstanding parts and very accurate. I consider it the bargain of the 1911 world. I think there are diminishing returns between the Valor and a CQB but there are differences.

I would spend 5k on a 1911 but it wouldn't be on a Wilson Super-Grade. If I had the money in the bank I would send a 70 series Colt to these folks:

http://www.heirloomprecision.com/inf...re_grade.shtml

(Indiana County)

Will it allow you to shoot better, or will it still shoot better than you can?

Are you looking for an attention getter so the 1911 crowd will "wow" at your pistol and make you one of the club?

When I was shooting USPSA, I witnessed some pretty damn good scores from guys shooting guns way under $5000.

If you are looking for attention, go for it, If you are looking for a well made pistol, there are plenty out there for less money IMO.
    As an investment, I suppose there might be a certain pool of buyers that will pay a premium for it later, but it's still not a Colt. As an investment, there are better things to spend 5K on, again IMO.

People that have money see this as no big deal they buy $250K Ferriras, Lambos and elite Porsches like the average person buys Chevys, Dodge and Fords. If you got the money and can afford the best of the best why not.

But is there really that much difference in performance in the CQB and the CSG I don't think so, I think most of the upgrade is in material and workmanship. The question has to asked could the average shooter see the difference at 7-15-25 or 50 yards, most probably not. But just like some people that enjoy soft ball or golf will pay $500 for a certain bat/putter if they can see use out of it then it's worth it to them.

Or as I stated people that are use to driving and shooting what the world consider the BEST, it no big deal because they have stamps worth $5k and more.

I personally would not because I fall in that group that couldn't see the difference in performance at 7-15-25-50 yards. I always wanted a LB or Wilson maybe used someday, probably not the CSG.
    Last edited by Neko456; November 1st, 2011 at 09:07 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast