Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Steyr M9-A1

(Lehigh County)

Default Steyr M9-A1

I'm considering adding a Steyr M9-A1 to the family, except that due to it being off import for the past couple years, it's somewhat hard to come by. No range or shop that I've called within an hour radius from me has one. There's always the online option through gunbroker and the like, but I'm somewhat hesitant to buy without a pre-purchase fondle, especially given the gun's...unique aesthetic.

Has anyone who's shot one before able to report on its reliability and ergonomics? Or does anyone know a source in the Lehigh Valley area that carries one?

(Berks County)

Default Re: Steyr M9-A1

I have an original m9 and it it prolly the best pistol I've ever owned. Nice grip, low bore axis nice craftmanship. Only thing is not a lot of parts and accessories . Still thought I haven't gone a day since I bought it that it hasn't been carried. Buy.it love it and deal with the fact that there aren't a lot of accessories for it
    Last edited by billy870m9; October 31st, 2011 at 07:01 PM.

(Allegheny County)

I've handled one. (It was a .40) It's a unique grip angle. You get a real deep grip on that pistol, it's extremely comfortable to me. But the gun is fairly Glock like. I'd say this is more like a Glock with some subtle refinements. (As far as general handling is concerned) But I can't really take you any further as I have not shot one. My guess is that will also be very Glock-like. Low bore axis. Deep grip. Felt recoil is going to be more - straight back, than the kind that likes to rotate at your wrists. The trigger was decent. Much like other polymer guns of it's kind. The sights are goofy. But they do make 3 dot replacements you can get for them. The acc rail is unique, and gay. Much like older HK's. They make picatinny adapters. But they are not cheap. Neither is anything for them due to their slight scarcity. You also forego a healthy aftermarket support for the same reason. (Scarcity) Very unlike a Glock, XD, M&P, etc. Even HK's have more options than these do. But if you are just looking for a pretty decent, durable, 9mm or .40. Most of what I have heard from people who own them, like them a lot.

Just don't plan on doing anything to it but shooting it.

(Centre County)

Euro Optic in Montoursville can get them in $600 shipped. I was considering getting one but I'm putting it off for a bolt action rifle.

http://www.eurooptic.com/

alex@eurooptic.com

Alex was great responding to me thru email. Its a bit out of the way, but they are a option. Also check thru the Steyr USA website,

http://www.steyrarms.com/dealers/

for dealers, it will list shops that carry/can order Steyr guns and such

Really nice pistol to shoot and very well made. Since they are selling them again in the states parts shouldn't be to hard to come by. I also read the new version has a improved trigger.

(Allegheny County)

I did a little looking last night and there is a guy that makes a few parts for these. Striker cups, and springs, as well as steel guide rods.

BT guide rods (big taco ? evidently?)

That's all I could find though. I want one of these some day. So I figured I'd do some looking.
    Last edited by Asmodeus6; November 1st, 2011 at 03:45 PM.

Security Military Depot @ 984 DeHaven Rd. in Home, Pa has them NIB for $399. Their number is (724) 349-9366. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by ReelBig20 View Post
    Security Military Depot @ 984 DeHaven Rd. in Home, Pa has them NIB for $399. Their number is (724) 349-9366. Hope this helps.
    The guns for ca $400 are probably the military contract overrun guns imported by PW Arms of Washington. These are actually slides made in 2004 mated to newer frames. They do NOT have the latest updates which enhance reliability and improve the trigger pull. Not sure what the warranty status is of the PW imported guns either, since they circumvented Steyr USA.

The easiest way to tell if you are getting the latest generation is that there is a cross-pin through the slide, just under and slightly to the rear of the rear sight dovetail. They also do not have the Loaded Chamber Indicator pin that protrudes from the rear of the slide. They do have a hole in the barrel hood to check chamber status.

M-A1 are the full size. S-A1 are the compacts (shorter grip frame and barrel). And the C-A1 is a combination - full-size grip frame with shorter barrel. Average price on the new models should be in the $570 range with two mags. They are available in 9 mm and .40 S&W.

Don't know why you would want to change the sights as that is one of the unique features of these guns - the trapezoidal sights. Triangular front sight with an open top triangle slot bracketed by bars rear sight. Very fast to pick-up.

HTH

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by silvertiger27 View Post
    I'm considering adding a Steyr M9-A1 to the family, except that due to it being off import for the past couple years, it's somewhat hard to come by. No range or shop that I've called within an hour radius from me has one. There's always the online option through gunbroker and the like, but I'm somewhat hesitant to buy without a pre-purchase fondle, especially given the gun's...unique aesthetic.

Has anyone who's shot one before able to report on its reliability and ergonomics? Or does anyone know a source in the Lehigh Valley area that carries one?
    with all the choices in hand guns that are readily available why bother tracking down a steyr m9-a1? the first generation of these pistols were not easy to find and like you i haven't seen any shop that has the new generation in stock. is their any particular reason you want the steyr? if i were to get one it would be just because it's a little unique looking compared to other guns and i've always read good things about them. since they are so hard to come by purchasing one via the internet may be your best option.