Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Default Re: Closing the News forum

I guess my point is, its gonna be more of a pain in the ass to navigate through stuff to find what youre looking for.

Kinda like how the Rifles section is (which I suggested changing). So you want Garand info. Start searching through 10 pages of stuff about AR's before you find one thread concerning Garands. Oh, you want some Bolt Action info, start paging through, youll find it eventually.

Curious about the shooting that took place down the street from your house last night. Well, there used to be a News section but we dont have that anymore. Try looking in Law and Politics, you'll find it eventually.

Get the point??

Let me know if theres a more appropriate place for this discussion, I'll ask a mod to move it
    and to the dust you shall return

Quote Originally Posted by brownman View Post
    I guess my point is, its gonna be more of a pain in the ass to navigate through stuff to find what youre looking for.
    For the firearms-related topics, you're right: Slogging through all the threads is a pain in the butt. I would recommend using the search box, but it's worthless (a topic unto itself). Try vBulletin's builtin search tool (http://forum.pafoa.org/search.php). It's actually useful, and may help you find what you're looking for more easily.

Curious about the shooting that took place down the street from your house last night. Well, there used to be a News section but we dont have that anymore. Try looking in Law and Politics, you'll find it eventually.
    A more appropriate place is your local news affiliate or newspaper. Just because a gun a factor in an event doesn't, itself, make PAFOA the right place to talk about it.

Quote Originally Posted by FNG19 View Post
    Forgive me. I was under the misapprehension that you wanted to be informed and that your complaints were based on that. I see now that your complaints are based on the fact that you might actually have to actively participate in the process.

When you're serious about getting informed, let us know. I'm absolutely positive that the people here can point you at more than a dozen news sites that will inform you on non-firearms issues much more broadly, insightfully, and usefully than does PAFOA on its best day. Hell, I bet we could even satisfy your political leanings in the process, whatever those might be.
    The news that USED (I guess it still is here, except now we're all just gonna have to look a little harder to find it) to be on here was firearm related about 90% of the time. Thats why I liked it. I dont and never did expect to get random non-firearm related news from PAFOA. Why would I ? Last I heard its a frearms forum not a random news forum.

A more appropriate place is your local news affiliate or newspaper. Just because a gun a factor in an event doesn't, itself, make PAFOA the right place to talk about it.
    Are you kidding me? The newspaper, TV news. Yeah cuz they dont spin everything that comes out of their mouths or pens. C'mon, seriously, how many times have you heard around here how anti, agenda-ing and, spun the news is.

I couldnt think of a better place to discuss such firearm news and related topics with LIKE MINDED individuals. Isnt that what we do around here? Talk about guns.
    Last edited by brownman; November 29th, 2011 at 10:31 PM.

Are you kidding me?
    No, I'm quite serious. An article about firearms? Sure. An article where firearms figure prominently? Sure. An article where the word 'pistol' is mentioned once, in the third of seven paragraphs? No.

Just because the gun is there doesn't make it the story. That's my point. "Having firearms" is not the same as "being about firearms" any more than, say, a story about someone fixing their own plumbing being about their Craftsman wrench.

(Philadelphia County)

Are you kidding me?

I couldnt think of a better place to discuss such firearm news and related topics. Isnt that what we do around here? Talk about guns.
    Here's what the guidelines said about the News forum.

http://forum.pafoa.org/news-123/8130...ews-forum.html

At least three of these were routinely violated:

1. Dupes happened often
    2. People posted OT stuff (if you didn't see them, it's because the mods were busily moving them)
    3. People posted random stories that involved a gun in some tangential way.

I note the last point, because you mentioned earlier that you went to the News forum to look for info on shootings. But the guidelines said "Please note, however that we also don't want the news forum to become a police blotter of every gunshot that is fired."

Altogether, this got to be more trouble than it was worth. If the current setup is unsatisfactory you might want to suggest a new sub-forum that is focused on what you want. But I don't think the vaguely themed and redundant "news" forum is coming back (not that I am in charge, but based upon my observations of what the staff have said in this thread).

Quote Originally Posted by Philbert View Post
    Here's what the guidelines said about the News forum.

http://forum.pafoa.org/news-123/8130...ews-forum.html

At least three of these were routinely violated:

1. Dupes happened often
    2. People posted OT stuff (if you didn't see them, it's because the mods were busily moving them)
    3. People posted random stories that involved a gun in some tangential way.

I note the last point, because you mentioned earlier that you went to the News forum to look for info on shootings. But the guidelines said "Please note, however that we also don't want the news forum to become a police blotter of every gunshot that is fired."

Altogether, this got to be more trouble than it was worth. If the current setup is unsatisfactory you might want to suggest a new sub-forum that is focused on what you want. But I don't think the vaguely themed and redundant "news" forum is coming back (not that I am in charge, but based upon my observations of what the staff have said in this thread).
    That was just a badly worded example on my part I guess. I just liked the firearm related news in general. Whatever its topic may have been. Whether it was about the guy who was wrongfully arrested for OC or the robbery that happened yesterday or the state that just passed OC. Didnt matter to me as long as it was somehow firearm related, it held some interest to me. If it started to go way off topic I'd quit reading, simple as that. I think certain threads would have been better off being deleted if it went that far rather than deleting a whole section of the forum. If you've been reading my posts you know why.

As for your last part. The system was fine until someone decided to go messing with shit.
    Last edited by brownman; November 29th, 2011 at 11:12 PM.

No, I'm quite serious. An article about firearms? Sure. An article where firearms figure prominently? Sure. An article where the word 'pistol' is mentioned once, in the third of seven paragraphs? No.

Just because the gun is there doesn't make it the story. That's my point. "Having firearms" is not the same as "being about firearms" any more than, say, a story about someone fixing their own plumbing being about their Craftsman wrench.
    Point taken, somewhat

(Lancaster County)

Looks like the "News" is back. Just noticed.

Why the change of heart to leave it the way it was? (maybe it was all my bitching)
    It's still locked from where I sit.
    Can you post a reply or start a new thread in that forum?

Quote Originally Posted by CZ_Collector View Post
    It's still locked from where I sit.
    Can you post a reply or start a new thread in that forum?
    Never mind, scratch that. All the threads that are there are from Sep.

Before, everything had the moved icon next to it. Now they dont, they are just old threads. They must have just moved all the most recent ones. Not sure about replying to what is there now, didnt try.

Edit- I've deleted my post youve quoted so as to not mislead anyone.
    Last edited by brownman; December 11th, 2011 at 08:22 PM.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456