Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Re: Closing the News forum

http://pazrt.com/forum is a zombie survival forum and pafoa user nineseven runs a great forum dedicated specifically to survival at http://www.neardeathexperiments.com/smf/index.php
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by andrewjs18 View Post
    http://pazrt.com/forum is a zombie survival forum and pafoa user nineseven runs a great forum dedicated specifically to survival at http://www.neardeathexperiments.com/smf/index.php
    I've never really liked the ZRT forum, it's way too dead (bad pun). PAFOA is much more active and has a better layout.

Quote Originally Posted by ChamberedRound View Post
    Please keep the discussion on topic, and refrain from personal attacks.
    Did you forget where you are?

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    NASCAR, Drag, F1, or Midget?

Noah
    LOL, funny how that doesn't work the same way as someone who can play piano.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by mingomom View Post
    1. You can still give negative rep. The system is still in place.

2. You can criticize another member; you just can't call them names or start ad hominem attacks. Stick to the facts of the thread and you'll be fine.

3. And you can still post news. It's just that instead of it being all over the place and posted in more than one location, the redundancy in the system is removed.

4. Why is it whenever there are changes made, someone claims the sky is falling? [sigh]
    I'm not claiming the sky is falling Mingo, I just think the site is going to shit with all the PC bullshit and pulling of topics that bring out real emotions in people. The site has gotten more and more restrictive since I first joined and I enjoy/ frequent it less. It seems to go against the grain of a blog wherein the two biggest ideals are free speech and gun rights.

And FYI the rep system is totally different now, but being the "super member" you are, I'm sure that would fly in the face of the status you are trying to uphold

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Spishack357 View Post
    And FYI the rep system is totally different now, but being the "super member" you are, I'm sure that would fly in the face of the status you are trying to uphold
    Lol! wut?

Those status lines mean absolutely nothing, much like the entire rep system. It just numbers on the inturwebs.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

I'm not claiming the sky is falling Mingo, I just think the site is going to shit with all the PC bullshit and pulling of topics that bring out real emotions in people. The site has gotten more and more restrictive since I first joined and I enjoy/ frequent it less. It seems to go against the grain of a blog wherein the two biggest ideals are free speech and gun rights.

I had no idea I was a "super member" because it means nothing. I don't have any extra power or status. I don't even know what determines a super member or a grand member. How is the rep system any different? You have positive and negative rep. Did there used to be other options? I think the only thing that is different is that you have to have a certain number of posts before you can post negative rep to prevent trolls from trashing people. The only status I am trying to uphold is my reputation as a decent person who speaks truth with respect. I hold no position with the forum and have no clout at all.

PC?? Really??? This forum is the most un-PC place I know. Say whatever you want to say, just put it in the right thread and be respectful of others' opinions when you disagree with them. There are many people on this forum with whom I disagree over a number of things. We still manage to carry on a decent discourse. Some of them I have great respect for, even though I vehemently disagree with them - they have the ability to put forth their ideas coherently and consistently.

Free speech still exists. Ad hominem attacks or calling people names is pretty much the only thing that is prohibited. In my opinion, that just means we need to act like grown ups.

If you're upset because one forum was eliminated, even though the topics that could be posted in that forum are able to be posted in other forums, you're obsessing over nothing. Save your energy to fight real battles in life. It's less stressful.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Lol! wut?
    Those status lines mean absolutely nothing, much like the entire rep system. It just numbers on the inturwebs.
    Streaker, I'm jealous. I want to be a Grand Member, too.

(Berks County)

Although almost all of the discussion in the last few pages is completely off-topic, I'll address a few points so the Staff at PAFOA aren't once again generalized as evil oppressors who stifle discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by bac0nfat View Post
    I've never really liked the ZRT forum, it's way too dead (bad pun). PAFOA is much more active and has a better layout.
    Previous posters are correct in that the idea of a Survival forum was discussed at one point, and Dan decided he didn't want one on PAFOA. Andrew is offering up suggestions, there's no need to criticize those alternatives, especially when he's trying to help out those who might be looking for something PAFOA doesn't provide.

As far as forums of our size go, I think we're fairly forgiving in what we allow and don't allow. We rarely pull a thread within the 1st page simply because we're trying to censor or stifle discussion. We don't arbitrarily close threads that are controversial or bring out real emotion, until of course that reality and emotion turns into incessant bickering, personal attacks, and circular arguments that are going nowhere. Unfortunately, on many topics (like religion), these discussions almost always go that route when left open long enough, but to say that we're censoring because of that is silly. It's just as silly for those not arguing to read thread after thread and page after page of arguments.

If you can a find another forum that:

- Discusses similar topics in breadth and depth as PAFOA
    - Has a similar amount of activity, number of active discussions, and active users
    - Is less restrictive than PAFOA

I'd love to hear about it.

You can think that all you want, but from a site features perspective it's simply not true. When Dan originally turned off neg-rep, he flipped a switch in the Admin Control Panel. When we turned it on again, we flipped a switch in the Admin Control Panel. It really was that simple.

As to the USE of reputation, that, like many other things on this site, is what the users of PAFOA collectively make of it. While the Staff does their best to make sure all the features of the vBulletin are used as they were intended, at the end of the day we can't police every post.

Quote Originally Posted by P89 View Post
    Did you forget where you are?
    No, I didn't. Now that I've addressed some of the issues above in an attempt to be reasonable, I'm asking as an Admin, and the OP, that the discussion stay on-topic, as I would ask for any other thread posted on this site.

Furthermore, Just because I posted a new thread in the Announcements forum for a SPECIFIC reason doesn't mean that this is a roundtable discussion for every single idea, suggestion, or problem you think we have here at PAFOA. As always, if you have a suggestion, search the Support and Suggestions forum to see if anyone has already made a similar suggestion, and to determine if we've addressed it. If so, join the discussion; if not, post a new thread.
    Last edited by ChamberedRound; November 2nd, 2011 at 10:57 AM.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

i've seen some pretty nasty attacks coming from people scattered all about the forum.
    nothing against closing the news section.

hope it works out.
    99% and i buy my own doughnuts
    i need a pafoa sticker for my car.

(Lebanon County)

As a member here for just shy of 5 years I'd like to add my 2¢.
    When the staff here sees a problem, (or potential problem), they address it with forethought and logic rather than an emotional knee-jerk reaction. I've seen many things change, most were for the better and those that weren't or were questionable were discussed, people's opinions were considered and reasonable decisions were made. Some things were returned to original, some were modified and some changed considerably. Those decisions may not have been popular and certainly couldn't please everyone but is shows that even though this forum is a privately owned entity and could be run any way the owner chooses to run it, the thoughts and opinions of the members are considered.
    I've been on enough gun/shooting/hunting themed forums to see the difference. I've left some because of heavy-handed moderation that in my opinion really hurt the quality and content of the site. I've left others because of lack of moderation where trolls, bullies and idiots run rampant and make the overall experience of reading and posting on those forums unpleasant to downright disgusting, and I maintain my membership on a few that seem to strike a reasonable balance, PAFOA is one of the latter.
    After reading the reasons and thoughts behind closing the news forum I'd say that it has merit to accomplish the desired outcome. It wasn't here originally, it was tried, problems started to surface, those problems were apparently discussed more than just briefly by the staff, and a decision was made. It's been closed but is still available temporarily and there's been an explanation posted. Sounds reasonable to me.

I don't have a short temper, I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

I for one will miss the news forum. Gave up on the lounge a while back because it was to dilute allowing almost any topic, so finding something you had interest in was a chore. I watched the news forum and when used properly (Gun related news) thought it was great info. It was always my last read before closing out of PAFOA. Maybe a sub forum of the lounge would suffice in that arena, but if not implemented, oh well all things must Pass.
    Last edited by indianjack; November 10th, 2011 at 01:17 PM.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast