Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Best .38 sp to shoot through a .357 revolver?

Would you guys say that .38 specials are less accurate in a gun chambered for .357 than the same gun chambered in .38?

Kinda like how .223 rem is more accurate in a gun chambered in .223 than a gun chambered in 5.56?

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by bac0nfat View Post
    Would you guys say that .38 specials are less accurate in a gun chambered for .357 than the same gun chambered in .38?

Kinda like how .223 rem is more accurate in a gun chambered in .223 than a gun chambered in 5.56?
    Exactly. I don't think there's anything wrong with the round itself, I always attributed it to the fit in a barrel that's .023 smaller then the round itself.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by silkworm View Post
    Exactly. I don't think there's anything wrong with the round itself, I always attributed it to the fit in a barrel that's .023 smaller then the round itself.
    Huh? The barrels should be the same diameter.

From Wikipedia:

Though .38 and .357 would seem to be different-diameter chamberings, they are in fact identical. 0.357 inch is the true bullet diameter of the .38 Special cartridge.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.357_Magnum
    Last edited by bac0nfat; November 1st, 2011 at 01:39 PM.

(Chester County)

Huh? The barrels should be the same diameter.

From Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.357_Magnum
    Interesting, I had always been told otherwise. This is why I read these forums, it clears up a lot of myths.

(Bucks County)

Interesting, I had always been told otherwise. This is why I read these forums, it clears up a lot of myths.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.38_Special

Despite its name, the .38 Special caliber is actually .357–.358 inches (9.0678 mm), with the ".38" referring to the approximate diameter of the loaded brass case. This came about because the original .38-caliber cartridge, the .38 Short Colt, was designed for use in converted .36-caliber cap-and-ball (muzzleloading) Navy revolvers, which had cylindrical firing chambers of approximately 0.374-inch (9.5 mm) diameter, requiring heeled bullets, the exposed portion of which was the same diameter as the cartridge case (see the section on the .38 Long Colt).
    Except for case length, the .38 Special is identical to that of the .38 Long Colt, and the .357 Magnum. This allows the .38 Special round to be safely fired in revolvers chambered for the .357 Magnum, and the .38 Long Colt to be fired in revolvers chambered for .38 Special, increasing the versatility of this cartridge. However, the longer and more powerful .357 Magnum cartridge will not chamber and fire in weapons rated specifically for 38 Special (e. g. all versions of the Smith & Wesson Model 10), which are not designed for the greatly increased pressure of the magnum rounds.
    Anyway I thought maybe accuracy would suffer from shooting a .38 special out of a .357 chambered gun because of the bullet travelling loosely through the cylinder before reaching the barrel. But I could be way off base there.

(Chester County)

It's possible, because my brother noticed the same thing out of his snubbed-nose ruger. Either way if I'm looking to have a good time at the range I'll usually buy 6 or so boxes of .38 target for fun, and 2 .357 hollow point to make sure my defensive shots stay accurate. And to get back to the origional post I've had no problems with UMC in either caliber.

(Clearfield County)

I have a K38 (model 14), 6" and a model 52 WC gun in addition to the 27 I had in the picture. Me personally, I am not good enough to see any difference. All three are easily capable of 100s from the 50 yard line shooting the NMC. However, someone else may have a different experience. It is a good question.

(Tioga County)

It's possible, because my brother noticed the same thing out of his snubbed-nose ruger.
    I wouldn't use a short-barreled revolver to compare accuracy. Get a 686 with a 6" barrel or the like and try it. Better yet, compare a 686 firing a 158 gr. magnum to a 6" K-frame chambered in .38 Spl. firing a similar .38 Spl. round. That way you'll eliminate the difference in cylinder length; the bullet will engage the rifling in a similar distance. I think you'll find there is no measurable difference.

--Phil

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12