Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Monroe County)

Default PA minimum age limit MYH for crows?

Ok here is my question, I often go crow hunting with my friends and my son who is 8 thinks its a blast and wants to try it,he has shown lots of interest in hunting,he has all his camo and i take him to watch but he wants to do some shooting,he has shot my 5.56 AR,7.62x39 AK, savage .22 bolt action,and my .22 AR, so he is well versed in firearm safety, proper handling and aiming a firearm, I took him to the local gun store and let him hold and aim the new mossberg .20 gauge camo mini (model 510)and he was very comfortable with it, we're going back this week and pick it up (it weighs 5 lbs and has a 10.5 LOP and is only 34.75 overall length) so i have done many searchs and looked on the PGC website and i have found nothing on MYH for crows! just squirrels dear and turkey. thanks for any advice in advance...........fred

oh! and here is the specs on the little .20 gauge we are going to buy, if anyone is interested in a nice shotgun for small shooters this gun is perfect.

Specifications
    Type: Pump
    Gauge: .410 or .20 gauge
    Stock: Synthetic/matte blackSynthetic/Mossy Oak Break-Up Infinity
    Material/Finish: Steel/blue
    Barrel Length: 18.5"
    Weight: 5 pounds
    Length of Pull: 10.5 to 11.5"
    Overall Length: 34.75"
    Sights: Dual bead sights
    Chokes: FixedFull, modified, or improved cylinder
    Capacity: 3- .20 gauge
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by freddy g; October 30th, 2011 at 09:37 AM. Reason: picture

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: PA minimum age limit MYH for crows?

12 is the minimum age for hunting overall. However there are some mentor programs that allow younger kids to participate. ...I'm not sure what all game allows mentor hunting.

edit: quick search resulted in this. So the 8yo will either have to wait until he is 12 and gets his own hunting license, or attend as YOU hunt crow - but he cannot have an active part in the hunt(he is only allowed to observe).

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...=622413&mode=2

What Species Can Be Taken By a Youth Participating in the Program? The species identified as legal for the Mentored Youth Hunting Program are squirrels, woodchucks (groundhogs), antlered and antlerless deer, spring gobbler and coyotes. When hunting for antlered deer, those youth participating in the Mentored Youth Hunting Program are required to follow the same antler restrictions as a junior license holder, which is one antler of three or more inches in length or one antler with at least two points.
    Last edited by knight0334; October 30th, 2011 at 12:01 PM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!