Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Washington County)

Default I am absolutely done spending money at ace sporting goods.

Never again will I set foot in that store. Well, once more... to return my last purchase. I needed a cleaning kit for my new Mossberg 590A1. I found a shotgun cleaning rod from kleenbore, and I also found a 12 gauge jag, bore mop, and chamber brush... also from kleenbore. When I get to the counter I ask the guy if the rod will work with the accessories. I state that I assumed they would because they are from the same company, but I was not sure. Without even looking at the products he just says 'yea'.

Well lo and behold, I get home, I tear down the gun, open the cleaning rod, and can you guess? It does not work with the accessories. And of course, now the store is closed. So I wont be cleaning my gun tonight.

This may not sound like much to you, and maybe it isn't, but what it is, is the last straw. For years I have been going to Ace because it is close to home and they have a wide selection. I have purchased multiple firearms there. I have spent thousands of dollars there to be sure, but not another cent.

I have been treated sometimes like a moron and others like an asshole, more times than I care to mention. The people who work there are rude, snobby, and talk down to you at all times.

They have refused to transfer a gun for me because they 'could get me the same gun.' Yet, when I mentioned that they do not have one in inventory and asked how much they would charge for one and when they could get one, I was put on hold for ten minutes and then told simply 'I dont know' to both questions.

I have been treated rudely for browsing around the store for a home defense use shotgun, because 'all the home defense shotguns are on the other wall.' All the while I'm staring at a Mossberg field/security combo.

I have been dismissed when browsing firearms and asking questions, presumably because I dress like (and in fact am) a construction worker. Perhaps they thought I didn't have the income to actually make a purchase. Well, that would be incorrect, though anymore I make all my gun purchases elsewhere and only go there for ammo and cleaning supplies, speaking of which...

I have been ignored numerous times when buying a low dollar item such as ammo or cleaning supplies. I have waited, many times, up to 20 minutes for service.

Well, I've had my fill. I'd rather spend my money just about anywhere else, and I will do my best to convince other to do the same.

I would also like to add that there are at least two employees there who have never treated me poorly. According to my records of sale their names are Ken and Greg. When I say that the staff is rude, I do not wish to lump them in with the rest of the bunch. The owner, I believe his name is George, also seems to be a good person.

Nevertheless, I will not be shopping there in the future.
    Last edited by marinville; October 29th, 2011 at 07:08 PM. Reason: I removed a comment about my income level, which in hindsight, was in poor taste.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: I am absolutely done spending money at ace sporting goods.

That's the reason I do 99% of my buying online, and for my gun purchases I have a freind that gets me any gun I want at cost + shipping to my local FFL.

I have been down that road at many gunstores and for the most part I knew more about what I wanted then the guys behind the counter did and they do it for a living.

(Lehigh County)

Let's see,
    • The people who work there are rude, snobby, and talk down to you at all times

• I have been treated rudely for browsing around the store for a home defense use shotgun

• I have been dismissed when browsing firearms and asking questions

• have been ignored numerous times when buying a low dollar item such as ammo or cleaning supplies.

• I have waited, many times, up to 20 minutes for service

• treated sometimes like a moron and others like an asshole, more times than I care to mention
    ... but ...
    • I have purchased multiple firearms there. I have spent thousands of dollars there to be sure
    ... I don't know you from a hole in the wall but based on your comments, either the service is not as bad as you make it sound or .......... (I'll let others fill in the blank).

(Delaware County)

I understand you were treated poorly by some of the employees but were treated well by at least two others. You also stated that the owner seems ok. I was wondering did you complain to the owner? He may not know how his employees are treating customers. If no one ever complained he may think everthing is going along smoothly.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Allegheny County)

ive seen this sort of behavior at so many gun shops around the country. if you arent one of their special crowd they dont want to talk to you. if you are looking for something small they dont want to talk to you. if you are a noob they talk down to you. if you know more than they do they mock you.

in fact ive heard salesmen brag about how rudely they treated someone. the idiot didnt know the difference between a .357 sig and a .357 magnum so i told him that he should go do some research before he hurt someone.

ive also heard customers brag about how rudely their favorite shops treat newbies. ya better not go into buds gun shop and ask a stupid question or they will hand you your head.

these places stay in business because the buying public doesnt know any better
    Last edited by PaBimmerGuy; October 30th, 2011 at 02:59 PM.

(Washington County)

I spend a lot of time at Ace, and I've never had a bad experience. Yeah, sometimes they get swamped and it's hard to get service. But usually it's worth the wait. They've always seemed knowledgable to me. I got a S&W 1911 from them back in July, and they were really helpful when they couldn't get the 1911 I wanted because it is no longer in production. Chris said he had called a few different distributers and even S&W and couldn't get that model. So I found one that I liked they had in stock, and they worked something out with me for the pain in the ass of not being able to get what I had originally wanted. And to be honest, I couldn't be happier! I love that thing. There's a reason I've bought almost every gun I own from them and that's for a reason. I'm not exactly in their special crowd, but not a newbie to them either. My OPINION, and that's just my opinion, you're making a bigger deal than it is. But what do I know. I wasn't there. I'm only going on my personal experiences. And they've all been extremely positive.

(Allegheny County)

My experiences with Ace Sporting Goods has always been positive. I've never been disrespected or ignored. All the employees I've dealt with were always eager to see if I needed anything. The only thing down there is it is always busy and sometimes it seems like there's not enough help, but you have to consider the guys do take lunches and breaks. They are 5 star in my book.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=22341&dateline=139092  6582

(Beaver County)

This thread is full of great comments, that I think bear some further discussion. Let's see...

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Knight View Post
    I don't know you from a hole in the wall but based on your comments, either the service is not as bad as you make it sound
    Or, maybe he is a captive audience. Think of it like this. There used to be a Walmart, Kmart, Target, etc on every block. Now there is a Walmart on every block, and the rest are few and far between. ever shop at Walmart? Conservatively 8 of every 10 Walmart employees would need luck and a strong tail-wind to pass the GED. And their general attitude stops just short of "fuck you this is Walmart." Nobody like Walmart. But I bet you shop there. Why? You pretty much have to. Sure, you could drive balls out of the way to a competitor, and you could decide to pay more on principle (bless you few people that actually do that) but in general you don't.

I'm not saying this is the case, and I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with the OP about Ace at this point. I'm just saying his statement isn't outrageous.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Knight View Post
    or .......... (I'll let others fill in the blank).
    Quick aside... one or three guy. Never more than three. See the GED comment above if you think grammar is too much effort.

Quote Originally Posted by mpan72 View Post
    I understand you were treated poorly by some of the employees but were treated well by at least two others. You also stated that the owner seems ok. I was wondering did you complain to the owner? He may not know how his employees are treating customers. If no one ever complained he may think everthing is going along smoothly.
    This right here, is a fantastic point. If you have a rapport of any kind with the owner, at least shoot him an email. You aren't likely to change the place all in one go, but I've known many a business owner that would respond to something like this story with a quick "hey guys huddle up" moment with the staff. And say "I've been hearing a few grumblings from customers that we might collectively be acting a bit dickish. Let's clean that up a bit." That can work wonders. Sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by PaBimmerGuy View Post
    ive seen this sort of behavior at so many gun shops around the country. if you arent one of their special crowd they dont want to talk to you. if you are looking for something small they dont want to talk to you. if you are a noob they talk down to you. if you know more than they do they mock you.
    To add to the above (very correct) comment, this is the normal way of things in damn near all hobby stores. And let's face it. Gun stores are hobby stores.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveyC View Post
    I spend a lot of time at Ace, and I've never had a bad experience. Yeah, sometimes they get swamped and it's hard to get service. But usually it's worth the wait. They've always seemed knowledgable to me. I got a S&W 1911 from them back in July, and they were really helpful when they couldn't get the 1911 I wanted because it is no longer in production. Chris said he had called a few different distributers and even S&W and couldn't get that model. So I found one that I liked they had in stock, and they worked something out with me for the pain in the ass of not being able to get what I had originally wanted. And to be honest, I couldn't be happier! I love that thing. There's a reason I've bought almost every gun I own from them and that's for a reason. I'm not exactly in their special crowd, but not a newbie to them either. My OPINION, and that's just my opinion, you're making a bigger deal than it is. But what do I know. I wasn't there. I'm only going on my personal experiences. And they've all been extremely positive.
    So what you are saying, is that you are an inside guy, and you get treated like it. This is an agreement in my eyes. Nobody is going to claim that the in crowd guys aren't going to be treated right by their store. The problem is that the not in crowd guys are never going to enjoy the store, and there are never enough inside guys to keep the store flush.
    It has to start someplace... It has to start sometime...
    What better place than here? What better time than now! - RAtM

Quote Originally Posted by Python73 View Post
    This thread is full of great comments, that I think bear some further discussion. Let's see...

Or, maybe he is a captive audience. Think of it like this. There used to be a Walmart, Kmart, Target, etc on every block. Now there is a Walmart on every block, and the rest are few and far between. ever shop at Walmart? Conservatively 8 of every 10 Walmart employees would need luck and a strong tail-wind to pass the GED. And their general attitude stops just short of "fuck you this is Walmart." Nobody like Walmart. But I bet you shop there. Why? You pretty much have to. Sure, you could drive balls out of the way to a competitor, and you could decide to pay more on principle (bless you few people that actually do that) but in general you don't.

I'm not saying this is the case, and I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with the OP about Ace at this point. I'm just saying his statement isn't outrageous.

Quick aside... one or three guy. Never more than three. See the GED comment above if you think grammar is too much effort.

This right here, is a fantastic point. If you have a rapport of any kind with the owner, at least shoot him an email. You aren't likely to change the place all in one go, but I've known many a business owner that would respond to something like this story with a quick "hey guys huddle up" moment with the staff. And say "I've been hearing a few grumblings from customers that we might collectively be acting a bit dickish. Let's clean that up a bit." That can work wonders. Sometimes.

To add to the above (very correct) comment, this is the normal way of things in damn near all hobby stores. And let's face it. Gun stores are hobby stores.

So what you are saying, is that you are an inside guy, and you get treated like it. This is an agreement in my eyes. Nobody is going to claim that the in crowd guys aren't going to be treated right by their store. The problem is that the not in crowd guys are never going to enjoy the store, and there are never enough inside guys to keep the store flush.
    Great post.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Python73 View Post

The point that I was trying to make is that what does it say about a person who CONSISTENTLY receives unacceptable service but still continued to give them THOUSANDS of dollars of his hard earned money?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast