Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Sighting in an AR

Hey y'all. I am having issues sighting in my AR-15 at 100 yards without magnification. My problem is that I can't see my hits. I guess my only option would be to buy a better spotting scope, but hoping someone has some suggestions. Thanks.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Sighting in an AR

This is what I do, which speeds me up when I do this.

Zero your windage at 10 yards. Get it close, doesn't need to be surgical... but leave your elevation ~2" low.

Take it out to 25 yards, fine tune windage, get yourself close to the 2" low mark at 25 yards.

Set up a target that you can see, then shoot the best 5 round ground you can... then walk and adjust.

1 click gives you maybe .3 -.5" of elevation change, depending on your sight radius and what not.

Doing this, I've never taken more than 15 rounds to zero an AR. Doing the rough work at 10 and 25 saves you walking back as much at 100.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by synergy View Post

Zero your windage at 10 yards. Get it close, doesn't need to be surgical... but leave your elevation ~2" low.

Take it out to 25 yards, fine tune windage, get yourself close to the 2" low mark at 25 yards.

Set up a target that you can see, then shoot the best 5 round ground you can... then walk and adjust.

1 click gives you maybe .3 -.5" of elevation change, depending on your sight radius and what not.

Doing this, I've never taken more than 15 rounds to zero an AR. Doing the rough work at 10 and 25 saves you walking back as much at 100.
    good points, start close and then work out if need be.

I prefer to take my upper off and lay it on a flat bench with BCG removed. Look down the bore to line up with a NRA bullsye target at whatver distance you want to zero at. Then look through your sights to see it aligned with the same target without touching /moving the upper. Adjust until its on.

Then shoot it and adjust.

I can get within a few inches at 100 like this on the first shots and then just tune it in.

For the OP, Im not clear why "seeing your hits" is an issue. You should shoot the tightest group you can, and then if you have to walk out, patse, walk back, adjust, and then shoot another group oh well. But dont go chasing each single shot with a spotting scope. Shoot groups, and adjust the groups.

If I shoot a 5 round group and 4 of them are 2 inches high in a nice group for the gun/ammo/optic combo and one is way off low and right I know that one way off was ME and Im adjusting to the group, not the flyer, I'll do fine. But if the one way down and right was the first shot and then I adjust because I see it in the spotting scope Im only going to frustrate myself.

Shhot the group with the same point of aim, then check and adjust.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by rickybobby1099 View Post
    Hey y'all. I am having issues sighting in my AR-15 at 100 yards without magnification. My problem is that I can't see my hits. I guess my only option would be to buy a better spotting scope, but hoping someone has some suggestions. Thanks.
    You can try some shoot-n-see targets.

http://sport.birchwoodcasey.com/Targets.aspx
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

Pick one you like

http://ar15zeroing.com/

I personally don't use any of these because big dots work differently, but any of the methods on that page should serve you well.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by synergy View Post

Thank you. This worked extremely well.