Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default My 45ACP SHORT OF EACH GUN REVIEW

My SHORT REVIEW OF EACH 45ACP GUN

I bought the 70 series Colt Commander in the 1980s it was a solid built pistol I added another $460 to get semi pro tuned and it became a very reliable and comfortable gun to shoot. I carried it as a duty weapon and Cc for a time. It probably still has the best trigger and will load cigar butts. But still fall short of having all the features of the Kimber. It’s still my sentimental favorite because we been through so much together.

The Kimber was one of there first series it was called the classic. It was a feature packed pistol but with a parkerized finish. I modified the sights with some red paint giving it the dot over post look like on my 92fs. The Kimber has all the features a 1911 shooter would want it’s accurate and reliable but not as reliable as the tuned Colt.

Then I founded the EAA witness 97 in a pawn shop. I came in three times asking to see it and worked the action all three times. I researched it over the internet. The price on this compact 45 ACP was $189 it seems to be in good shape it was being sold cheap because it didn’t have a magazine. I bought a Pro mag 10 shot magazine and began testing. The pro mag was tested to be reliable when loaded with 6 rounds and 1 in the chamber. I’ve yet to go inside the mag to correct this problem looking for a Mec gar.

While at a military surplus shop I found the customized SAM 1911 45acp it was two toned and loaded with features including checkering on the front and back of the grips. The trigger seemed light and controllable the sights were modified, visible and high. It was bought with 3 magazine one an ss Wilson combat. The gun shot fast and accurate the checkering a bit sharp in rapid fire probably better shot with gloves on. Nice gun for the money. The Sams is so tight it hard to field strip.

Years later I bought the Glock 21 sf, I’d always like the reviews and what people thought of the Glock21. I was always impressed with the ammo capacity, accuracy and reliability of this gun. But never liked the way it felt when I held it. Then came the sf and I had to have one. After taking it to the range several times it impressed me by being a Glock, controllable, reliable, accurate, fast shooting and durable. Almost as accurate as my 1911s but far more reliable ate JHPs all day long from day one.

While looking at the Glock 21sf I ran across the Beretta Px4 in 45 ACP. I had been looking for the Stoeger in the same caliber but it wasn’t available yet. I examined the PX4 held it and fell head over heels for it. I did my usually internet research found that some had a love hate relationship with its new ergo looks. I personally like the way the gun feels and look. It is accurate and reliable and from day one ate everything I shot in it from fmj to JHPs. The PX4 is an impressive firearm.

The Ruger SR1911 came out and was receiving excellent reviews and it was made in the USA. There was a waiting list of a month on this piece not only I was impressed with it. I came in to check on my position in the polling and spoke with the owner. He said one had came in and one person was in front of me. He called him at the phone number he left no answer and told me it was for sell. I took the Ruger home it was impressive 1911 everything was were it suppose to be and none of this Ruger over engineering or prioritizing. It was just a finely made SS 1911. On the range the same could be said of it. After buying the S&W E series the Ruger still held it’s on, where as my custom Sam was exposed.

The S&W E series 1911 was bought after seeing another member of this forums Smith E series 1911. I was taken by its innovation and beauty and just had to have one. I had been saving for a Les Baer or Wilson used or NIB $1800-$2400 pistol to have some thing that set it a part from my other 1911s. The Smith E series fit this bill for less and I think is prettier then the LB and Wilson basic Custom pistols. The Smith E series is an amazing pistol everything is made so solid and smooth. The checkering is done just right not over done like the Sams and theSmith operates far smoother. Now the Sam is tight and smooth. But what you feel and see in the difference of professional custom gunsmith and DIY gunsmith. The S&W E series is my favorite 1911 pistol when I look at Bang for Bucks and workmanship. The Les Baer and Wilson probably has more custom features and value for the longterm, but I’m satisfied with the Smith.
    That’s the end of me buying 45acp Guns, but I said that after the SAM.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Neko456; November 10th, 2011 at 03:28 PM.

(Lycoming County)

Default Re: My 45ACP SHORT OF EACH GUN REVIEW

If this was properly formatted into paragraphs I may have read more than the first sentence...

EDIT: Just as I posted this and went back to the post it was formatted haha.
    United States Air Force 2010-2016

There is a clearer picture of the Serie E 1911 S&W on this forum, this is a impressive gun. I'm going try to take a like picture of each of my guns. The E series is the only one that really stands out in regards to workmanship the others are just good protectors.

(Bucks County)

Thumbs up Re: My 45ACP SHORT OF EACH GUN REVIEW

+1 ... You have a sickness!

(Chester County)

I was just considering the sr1911 as my first 1911. I like how it's stainless steel, has a titanium firing pin, and is 100% US made. For that money I kind of wish it had a rail on it but they sometimes make 1911's look a little too "buck rogers" cheesy. Glad to hear you like it though, I think I'm ordering one this weekend.

Thanks Python73 for this photo, this is the Photo that sold me on the E series S&W. My gun looks just like his.

The SR1911 is a great looking and shooting 1911 also both of these pistols are made in the USA 3 out of 5 of mines are.
    Where is Kimber made? Maybe 4 out 5 are made right here.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Neko456; October 31st, 2011 at 04:58 PM.

Dude, I don't mean to sound mean, but if you are LE, I would hate to have to read your reports.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    Dude, I don't mean to sound mean, but if you are LE, I would hate to have to read your reports.
    456 - That was years ago when I was young and Dumb. It's a thankless job with everything has to be right and forgotten when 1 thing is wrong. I'm a programmer Now more concern with making a living then living a job. This thread was composed between designing a system, guess where my prority was. I've read worst on this forum but I just try to understand it and go on.

So you are not only a H&K and Sig owner you are a grammar teacher too. Do you teach poster to with that stick up your ...

By the way what do you think about my Glock 21sf? LOL. I know that's a favorite of yours. And my choice of 1911s, I know I should have bought a Wilson or Les Baer, you highlander.
    Last edited by Neko456; November 2nd, 2011 at 08:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Neko456 View Post
    So you are not only a H&K and Sig owner you are a grammar teacher too. Do you teach poster to with that stick up your ...
    Good one, I got a chuckle out that. I home schooled my kids, (three of them) so it brings out the worst in me, at times. It's all good, though.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

By the way what do you think about my Glock 21sf? LOL. I know that's a favorite of yours. And my choice o 1911s, I know I should have bought a Wilson or Les Baer, you highlander.

456 - I can't figure you out I thought this line would make you laugh.

Home schooled your kids (along with teaching them how to be hitmen) you are a talented young man. A bit tight collared but talented.

How about that Glock 21sf, I'm try to impress YOU. LOL