Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Question Group Ammo Bulk Buys AND Reloading Question

Just wondering, I know with some bulk things people like to split the cost and product. I was just wondering if that is common here, because man did I go through that 50 round box of .357 sig really fast!

Before anyone suggests reloading, I do not have the room, safe working area, equipment, skill (yet), and possibly even the ability by my lease to have gunpowder in the Apartment. I'd have no problem buying reloads. I did collect all my brass, but I have no idea how one either sells or uses it if no reloading on their own.

Does anyone have any reloading companies that do/sell .357 sig and .40 S&W (though more for the sig) reloads? This is all for target shooting, no need for Personal Defense issues.

Thanks!

Default Re: Group Ammo Bulk Buys AND Reloading Question

I would skip the commercial reloads personally. I have some factory reloaded .357 SIG from Georgia Arms which I bought a few years ago for $300/1000 (don't know what it's at now). It's been fine, but if I had known then what I know now, I would have shopped around for factory fresh ammo for not much more. As an example: here is a link to Federal American Eagle .357 SIG for $200/500 (SGAmmo is good to go). Also consider that many commercial reloaders stick with the more common cartridges and don't do anything else.

Generally i get together with a group of shooting friends and do a thousand dollar ammo order from AIM Surplus. Their prices are always good and shipping is reasonable. Shipping tends to max out at around $70 for the really heavy hauls, which split between a half dozen people ends up being negligible for several thousand rounds of ammunition.

I don't bother with commercial reloads since i have better luck with cheaper russian steel (though you won't be able to find that for 357 sig)

(Montgomery County)

Kings Shooters will take your brass and reload it for you.. I am not sure about 357sig, but worth the call to get a price.

You don't need very much room at all to reload. I have my press on a piece of 2x4 that I clamp to a table, reload, unclamp and store away.

(Delaware County)

You'll probably get more value out of switching to 9mm.
    It's difficult to really reach "bulk" pricing for ammo. You can save some by buying by the case, but to really get a bulk discount you need to be buying 10's of thousands of rounds, and I think you need to be doing it regularly.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pkspawn View Post
    Kings Shooters will take your brass and reload it for you.. I am not sure about 357sig, but worth the call to get a price.
    Kings is actually where I did my transfer, it wasn't on the online site, but I think they had it listed at the store.

You don't need very much room at all to reload. I have my press on a piece of 2x4 that I clamp to a table, reload, unclamp and store away.
    I know it's not space intensive, but the only think close would be a storage closet I have (outside).

Besides I'm still getting my wife used to me with a gun in the house. Gunpowder and reloading is going to take a while! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Helter View Post
    You'll probably get more value out of switching to 9mm.
    I was actually thinking about doing that when I saw the price difference. Since I've had no problem doing barrel swaps, I figure the cost is really in buying the barrel (and a mag) and that's it. That is one think I like about the M&P is just how mod friendly it is. It's a great value for a starting gun considering all the options available.

(Montgomery County)

I would skip the commercial reloads personally. I have some factory reloaded .357 SIG from Georgia Arms which I bought a few years ago for $300/1000 (don't know what it's at now). It's been fine, but if I had known then what I know now, I would have shopped around for factory fresh ammo for not much more. As an example: here is a link to Federal American Eagle .357 SIG for $200/500 (SGAmmo is good to go). Also consider that many commercial reloaders stick with the more common cartridges and don't do anything else.
    I heard something bad about Georgia Arms when googling them, something about exploding guns or the like, so yeah, I'd stick to a deal like the one with Federal. I figure after selling the old video game systems, I'll either get a crap ton of bullets or a 9mm barrel and a decent amount of bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by vicious View Post
    Generally i get together with a group of shooting friends and do a thousand dollar ammo order from AIM Surplus. Their prices are always good and shipping is reasonable. Shipping tends to max out at around $70 for the really heavy hauls, which split between a half dozen people ends up being negligible for several thousand rounds of ammunition.

I don't bother with commercial reloads since i have better luck with cheaper russian steel (though you won't be able to find that for 357 sig)
    Thanks for the links!

(Lehigh County)

Ordered and shot through a 500 count box of 357sig from Georgia arms without any issue.
    That said, I'm cooking my own now, much cheaper once you have the brass

My own experieces with group buys isn't good. If you post wanting to put together such a purchase you find a bunch of people who live far away that want you to front the money till they can arrange a pick-up, and they tend to live 100 miles away. Another issue is one wants brand A, the other brand B and so on. Then you get some moron who wants 79 rounds...."can you take out a few and sell me the rest?". Now, you've researched prices, maybe contacted a vendor for details and settled on a deal. Opps....2 people have opted out, another wants to join, but wants a different caliber.....or brand.....or be fronted till he can get somewhere close to Philly...."Is Collegeville near you?" Then few if any of them will reward you for your efforts by throwing in a few extra dollars when they have just purchased ammo at 30% off retail.

Seek out those close in distance, that have a stable reputation, will get the money to you and will pick up the ammo as agreed.
    When the SHTF......be the fan.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by ErSwnn View Post
    My own experieces with group buys isn't good. If you post wanting to put together such a purchase you find a bunch of people who live far away that want you to front the money till they can arrange a pick-up, and they tend to live 100 miles away. Another issue is one wants brand A, the other brand B and so on. Then you get some moron who wants 79 rounds...."can you take out a few and sell me the rest?". Now, you've researched prices, maybe contacted a vendor for details and settled on a deal. Opps....2 people have opted out, another wants to join, but wants a different caliber.....or brand.....or be fronted till he can get somewhere close to Philly...."Is Collegeville near you?" Then few if any of them will reward you for your efforts by throwing in a few extra dollars when they have just purchased ammo at 30% off retail.

Seek out those close in distance, that have a stable reputation, will get the money to you and will pick up the ammo as agreed.
    Thanks for the advice!

I think I might just start up a thread about doing one, but incorporate some of those lessons into it.