Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lehigh County)

Default looking for reference

I have been coming here for a few years getting sources to learn my rights. I posted once last year thanking the site (cant seem to remember my old user name). I don't post too often because so many other members are more knowledgeable and many topics seem to be posted over and over again.

Well time to get to the point... I am finally applying for my LTCF because I think I need the ability to carry concealed in situations that the law doesn't allow me to openly carry.

I would not ask someone I don't know to be my reference but I come from Delaware County and read that I cant use my police buddies as references because they aren't from Lehigh county.

I was thinking that if anyone is able to be my reference and will be able to go to The Firing Line Saturday (the 5th). Then we could meet and have excuse to go to the range.

Default Re: looking for reference

Quote Originally Posted by diablojdUSP45 View Post
    I have been coming here for a few years getting sources to learn my rights. I posted once last year thanking the site (cant seem to remember my old user name). I don't post too often because so many other members are more knowledgeable and many topics seem to be posted over and over again.

Well time to get to the point... I am finally applying for my LTCF because I think I need the ability to carry concealed in situations that the law doesn't allow me to openly carry.

I would not ask someone I don't know to be my reference but I come from Delaware County and read that I cant use my police buddies as references because they aren't from Lehigh county.

I was thinking that if anyone is able to be my reference and will be able to go to The Firing Line Saturday (the 5th). Then we could meet and have excuse to go to the range.
    If Lehigh County sheriff followed the law, your references could be from anywhere in the state, country (or world for that matter).

All the LTCF application says is that they not be family members.
    Last edited by HiredGoon; October 27th, 2011 at 09:28 PM.

(Lehigh County)

You are correct.... "if" they followed the law.

http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-car...in-county.html

There are a lot of people saying they don't and I kind of wanted to not waste more time unarmed trying to fight an injustice. I hope someone takes up this fight but I have a newborn and really want to pick and chose my fights. So I think its easier to just get new references.

(Lehigh County)

Some people have put references from outside the county, as long they are in the state, and it was approved, but it seems a case-by-case basis

(Montgomery County)

I'd put them as references anyways.
    List them with their professional title.
    Officer John Doe, Springfield Police Dept .....
    Sgt. Tom Smith, Croyden Police Dept .....

If they refuse, just fill out a new form and use the other refs.
    The 2A does not GIVE us the right. It tells the gov they can not INFRINGE our right.

(Lawrence County)

Oh, hey, that's the tread I started. Had to laugh a little at that.

On topic... you should put whoever you're most comfortable with. If your neighbors are happy and willing you could always use them if they won't accept your first application. I was fortunate enough that my neighbors all endorsed my application happily. Try asking around and see if they'd be willing to help you out if all else fails.

On another note... it seems that the sheriffs have a lot of leeway in how they handle the applications. Some are very lenient, others are somewhat strict. From what I've read and looked up, the references can be from anywhere. But we all know what should happen and what does happen are two different things.

I'll follow up on when this became a requirement and why next week. My work schedule gives me some time to ask about it in the morning, and I'll drop by the sheriff's office to inquire about it.