Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New M&P 9mm's?

(Berks County)

Default New M&P 9mm's?

I have heard that the new M&P pistols (full size) have better triggers on them then pistols of the past. Is there a certain way I can tell the new production M&P pistols from older models?

Is there a test fire cartridge in the case, if so is it dated?
    Can I tell based on serial number, if so how?
    Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Default Re: New M&P 9mm's?

I just bought one 2 weeks ago and the trigger is nice

(Lawrence County)

Serial numbers are probably your best bet. I'd have to let another member chime in and do some more searching myself, but serial numbers will always get progressively higher with each new gun. This should let you see how new/old a particular gun is.

(Washington County)

I havent heard anything about a change to the triggers, where did you hear that?

There is a test fired and dated shell with new guns

(Pike County)

I got an M&P 9 a month ago and the trigger feels fine to me, smooth IMO. Take that with a grain of salt as this is my first pistol and I only shot a handful of firearms before getting my M&P.
    Sanity, yours if you can keep it.....

(Allegheny County)

I got my information from a S&W LE rep, and some pretty good sources on other forums. Seems October of 2010 S&W improved the sear return spring and detent, and some other small tweaks, across the M&P line. The triggers on my current M&Ps are worlds better than previous. The reset still isn't as distinct as on a Glock for example, but much better than original.
    These improvements also are supposed to help eliminate the sporadic dead trigger issues some high volume users have reported with their M&P pistols.
    A base line to go from is the spent shell casing. My current M&Ps all have fired casings dated from June and July. My wife's are the same. The M&Ps to be avoided, in general, are ones that DO NOT have the stepped rear sight, or serial numbers in the MPxxxxxx range, these being earlier models, more prone to rust issues, mag drop issues, gritty triggers, etc, etc, if they haven't gone back for service. Again, this is what I've gathered from a variety of sources prior to switching back to the M&P platform for EDC. Our 5 M&Ps here are all in the DYxxxxx serial range and are excellent performers.

I handled a 9mm and a 40cal, today, and the trigger is not bad at all. I would shoot with it. I know they are "new" guns because the owner of the shop has been waiting a while for them to come in. I was so disappointed with the Sigma that I never looked at the M&P's, but the pistol, overall, felt very good. Not a bad price for it, either.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by DBZ220 View Post
    I got my information from a S&W LE rep, and some pretty good sources on other forums. Seems October of 2010 S&W improved the sear return spring and detent, and some other small tweaks, across the M&P line. The triggers on my current M&Ps are worlds better than previous. The reset still isn't as distinct as on a Glock for example, but much better than original.
    These improvements also are supposed to help eliminate the sporadic dead trigger issues some high volume users have reported with their M&P pistols.
    A base line to go from is the spent shell casing. My current M&Ps all have fired casings dated from June and July. My wife's are the same. The M&Ps to be avoided, in general, are ones that DO NOT have the stepped rear sight, or serial numbers in the MPxxxxxx range, these being earlier models, more prone to rust issues, mag drop issues, gritty triggers, etc, etc, if they haven't gone back for service. Again, this is what I've gathered from a variety of sources prior to switching back to the M&P platform for EDC. Our 5 M&Ps here are all in the DYxxxxx serial range and are excellent performers.
    Oh ok,
    I thought you ment newer than that, like with the current change over with the frame mold ect...
    I have one after the changes to remedy the dead trigger thing, but the triggers still suck compared to most others imo
    APEX is making a killing fixing the terrible M&P Trigger

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Saddlerocker View Post
    APEX is making a killing fixing the terrible M&P Trigger
    Ha, yea. I have a hard sear and a USB sitting on my work bench for when my M&P 45 gets in next week. Not even gonna bother shooting it until I install those parts.

I have an M&P 9 Pro, I ended up putting the apex competition enhancement kit and an apex RAM in it. I like it. If you weren't so far away, I'd say come over and shoot it. The stock trigger was fine, but I wanted it to be a little lighter and the ram give you a more positive reset.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast