Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Butler County)

Default Training in Western PA

Been shooting guns for over 20 years, but was never formally trained. I would like to get back into shooting handguns, but would like to be trained by an expert this time around, the goal being to possibly compete eventually.

Any suggestions in the northern Pittsburgh area?

Thanks

(Butler County)

Default Re: Training in Western PA

Don't have an answer but I am interested as well. Maybe not for serious competition...

Actually there were some IDPA matches being held at PMSC but the guy running them is deployed right now I think.
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

Detroit (but Pittsburgh is always home), Michigan

Check here:

http://www.fireinstitute.org

I don't think they have any more handgun courses scheduled for the year, but when they offer courses again in the Spring, consider taking one. They are first-rate. The only caveat is that they are focused on self-defense, not competition, so this may not be exactly what you are looking for, but it's definitely worthwhile if you're interested in taking a general course.

There is a course on use of lethal force (incl. the new Castle Doctrine) changes coming up in November.
    Last edited by Johannes_Paulsen; October 27th, 2011 at 09:45 AM.

(Butler County)

Thanks jkp. I am looking for a course more designed on teaching and fine-tuning shooting fundamentals, but this one could be a substitute in the interim.

(Lawrence County)

In the meantime, come shoot with us in New Castle. We shoot USPSA and IDPA. We do some random thursday nights until it's too dark to shoot and then in January we shoot indoors until the match schedule starts up in April. We can get you acclimated to the rules, competition and shooting fundamentals.

Lycanonthecheapthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by psustang89 View Post
    Thanks jkp. I am looking for a course more designed on teaching and fine-tuning shooting fundamentals, but this one could be a substitute in the interim.

Teaching and fine-tuning shooting fundamentals (we call them "the basics") is all the FIRE Institute does in any of its shooting courses.

P.S.: Sincere thanks to ikp1187 (whoever you are) for the endorsement. We try hard.

(Allegheny County)

I recently took the Defensive Handgun Module 1 taught by INPAX at PMSC and was very satisfied with it. I felt the curriculum was relevant to developing basic handgun skills for the real world use of a handgun in a defensive situation.

Except for a low light class in November there schedule is done for the season. I assume they will have new classes in the spring. I plan on taking Defensive Handgun Module 2 and possibly SIM City (Invitation Only) next year. Prices are very competitive especially if you and someone else signs up as a pair.

www.LiveWithConfidence.com

Here is the 2011 schedule for historical reference.

http://forum.pafoa.org/training-tact...-schedule.html
    Last edited by QuackXP; October 27th, 2011 at 04:09 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Grey Group is doing a lot in Pittsburgh in 2012.

http://store.greygrouptraining.com/NORTH-VERSAILLES/

There are lots of training opportunities around Pittsburgh.

(Chester County)

Yea, lots of good classes in Pittsburgh these days. You guys are lucky out there. Eastern PA is starting to improve, but we have a lot of catching up to do.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by jkp1187 View Post
    Check here:

http://www.fireinstitute.org

I don't think they have any more handgun courses scheduled for the year, but when they offer courses again in the Spring, consider taking one. They are first-rate. The only caveat is that they are focused on self-defense, not competition, so this may not be exactly what you are looking for, but it's definitely worthwhile if you're interested in taking a general course.

There is a course on use of lethal force (incl. the new Castle Doctrine) changes coming up in November.

The first Level I hand gun course sponsored by the FIRE Institute in 2012 has now been scheduled. It will by "Hand Gun 101," which is run by Randy Cain. The dates are May 11-13, 2012. Enrollment will be handled directly by Cumberalnd Tactics, which is Mr. Cain's company. The web site is www.cumberlandtactics.com.

This was posted on October 31, 2012.

PeteG

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast