Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Carrying while not at 'full capacity'?

I was wondering if any of you had an opinion on carrying (whether CC OR OC) when you weren't 'at your best'.

Since carrying a firearm IS such a huge responsibility, and it takes extra effort to maintain your situational awareness, should you take the risk to go out when your SA may not be at 100%?

For instance, two weeks ago I was having a real bad run of allergies, then I got a bad cold on top of that. Feeling fuzzy and disoriented I definitely did not feel up to carrying until I started feeling a bit better. Same thing for if you're on any drugs that may cause drowsiness.

I suppose there may be a number of situations where you just can't maintain the kind of SA needed for responsible carry. So in those cases, what do you think?

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: Carrying while not at 'full capacity'?

Quote Originally Posted by TerminusEst View Post
    I was wondering if any of you had an opinion on carrying (whether CC OR OC) when you weren't 'at your best'.

Since carrying a firearm IS such a huge responsibility, and it takes extra effort to maintain your situational awareness, should you take the risk to go out when your SA may not be at 100%?

For instance, two weeks ago I was having a real bad run of allergies, then I got a bad cold on top of that. Feeling fuzzy and disoriented I definitely did not feel up to carrying until I started feeling a bit better. Same thing for if you're on any drugs that may cause drowsiness.

I suppose there may be a number of situations where you just can't maintain the kind of SA needed for responsible carry. So in those cases, what do you think?
    Would you be able to safely operate a motor vehicle in the conditions you're asking about?
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by twency View Post
    Would you be able to safely operate a motor vehicle in the conditions you're asking about?
    When I was sick I still had to drive my own ass to work and back but I still didn't feel up to carrying, but this is EXACTLY the kind of thing I'm thinking of.

If you shouldn't be operating a vehicle, should you not be carrying? Discuss

I haven't been at my best for 30 years. . .

When I'm feeling a little 'off my game' I still carry but try to avoid going out as much as possible. If I must go out, I avoid high risk neighborhoods. Bottom line, I can't leave a weapon home now because I know that will be the one time I really need it.
    Help us restore election integrity in PA. Join PA Voters United

(Mercer County)

No, I don't disarm because because I have a cold and took some Nyquil. Do you not go into public when you have a cold, and your "situational awareness isn't at its best?" If so, life must be pretty exciting for you my friend.
    Last edited by sprrdhawk44; October 26th, 2011 at 09:15 PM.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

(Montgomery County)

When I was super-sick I did not carry, but my girlfriend carried for me and kept me safe form the zombie hordes. If I am well enough to drive, I am well enough to carry, otherwise I am stuck home and don't need to carry anyway, I can always leave my AR leaning against my bed to keep watch over me as I recover.

(York County)

Criminals are conscientious and concerned for your health.
    No criminal would possibly attack you while you're not feeling well!!??!!

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by longcall911 View Post
    I haven't been at my best for 30 years. . .

When I'm feeling a little 'off my game' I still carry but try to avoid going out as much as possible. If I must go out, I avoid high risk neighborhoods. Bottom line, I can't leave a weapon home now because I know that will be the one time I really need it.
    There are days I ask myself "do I REALLY need to carry today?". And then I think about it. The day I don't have it is the day I'll need it. This is why I always have at least one sub-compact type of firearm (just bought a j-frame!!!). I can carry when I don't "feel like it" but still carry.

There are times my SA is way off, but I still carry anyway. If you're SA was 100%, you wouldn't need a firearm because you could avoid 100% of the trouble! Kidding

Driving a car is far more dangerous than carrying a firearm. If you feel you're well enough to drive why would you not carry? Conversely, if you're considering not carrying because of your health please, for everyone else's sake, don't drive!
    I am not a lawyer and nothing I say should be construed as legal advice.

(Lancaster County)

Ok, I get you guys trying to be funny about it, but i'm seriously not trying to be stupid here. I understand that the reason to carry is because things can go wrong at any place, at any time and you need to be prepared for it.

What I'm asking here is if there are any opinions on times when it would NOT be a good idea to carry. Here's a different example:

Over the summer my wife actually broke my neck. 1st cervical vertabra, was a very minor fracture, but I was still in a neck brace for 3 weeks. My wife ended up having to drive me around a lot since I couldn't drive. My neck was totally immobilized, which severely restricted my mobility and awareness. At this point would you say that your probably inability to use it would outweigh your need to carry? Is there such a point? Or is the possibility of being able to defend yourself, no matter how slight, still worth carrying for?

And still in the back of my head is the idea that if you're not on your A-game while you're out carrying, you have more of a chance to make a mistake with disasterous results. No matter your training, ability, or experience there is always a non-zero chance of you making a mistake. When those things are compounded, do you still risk it? Perhaps I'm just being too paranoid here, but that's why I'm bringing this up for debate.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast