Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Cool Russian Mak IJ 70HC

Fellows, yesterday I picked up a Russian Mak but now I have a couple questions. First, it's NIB and has a lot of grease all over it. What's the best way to clean it. I'm hoping you'll say the trigger assembly doesn't have to come out and be cleaned.
    Second, it came with 2 10 round mags, I dropped $225 on it, is that about going price or did I get taken. Thanks for your help. Joe

Default Re: Russian Mak IJ 70HC

If it has the manual with it use it to disassemble the firearm. Then clean it like you would any new handgun. Then reassemble it per the manual.

As far as price goes I think you got an ok deal on it. I believe my dad paid near or $300 on a IJ70 years ago. Shoots like a dream though.

(Cumberland County)

Thumbs up Re: Russian Mak IJ 70HC

your gonna laugh but here goes. i like plain ole paint thinner for cleaning those greased up guns. cheap, user friendly not as toxic as some. strip any wood or plastics and dunk the sucker for a bit then start scrubbing, a tooth brush works great. once it is reasonably clean you can decide if a total tear down is needed for the internals. btw i recommend wearing good safety glasses, keeps the thinner out of your eyes while scrubbing.

(Northampton County)

Make sue you give it good scrubbing and then relube it . The other posters have already give you some good info on how to go about it ,no need to rehash it, These maks are just plain fun to shoot, I have them all except an east german and I have all the non maks-the pa63,p64,p83 and the cz-82, Low cost pistols and ammo just make them a have to have for me. I carry the P-64 every day. Under appreciated is what these 9x18 pistol are!
    www.EastonFirearmsRefinishing.com Owner/Operator, NRA Pistol Instructor

(York County)

+1 on the safety glasses!!!! I use brake cleaner (the jet of cleaner blows stuff out of hard to reach places) to de-gunk my new acquisitions, i've gotten brake cleaner in my eyes twice, (you'd think I would have learned the first time, but I didn't) it isn't fun! Now, before I touch the brake cleaner, safety glasses go on.

(Montgomery County)

The IJ-70 was the Russian Mak "tuned" to overcome the various regulations on military weapons from the East. By putting an adjustable rear sight and calling it the Baikal, it was no longer one of those "evil com-bloc guns". They even made a 0.380 version. Under it all, it is a civilianized army pistol. The East German Maks are usually considered to be the "ne plus ultra" of the genre, with the Russian military versions if you can find one. I was lucky enough many years ago to get one of the first EG Maks when they became C&R. Accurate and fun. Dave_n

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_n View Post
    The IJ-70 was the Russian Mak "tuned" to overcome the various regulations on military weapons from the East. By putting an adjustable rear sight and calling it the Baikal, it was no longer one of those "evil com-bloc guns". They even made a 0.380 version. Under it all, it is a civilianized army pistol. The East German Maks are usually considered to be the "ne plus ultra" of the genre, with the Russian military versions if you can find one. I was lucky enough many years ago to get one of the first EG Maks when they became C&R. Accurate and fun. Dave_n
    I have an EG mak and love it. Rarely shoot it though and don't know why. It's an awesome little gun