Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Talked to Montco Sherriff Behr about OC

I was at a fundraiser and sat with her. At the end right before I had to go I quickly asked her for her position on Open Carry. She responded she knew it was legal but worried about the training level of the people who do it and suggested it was not a good idea in areas such as Norristown where people didn't know the areas. I pointed out I see it as akin to a warning signal in nature - "You don't want any of this" broadcast to criminals.

Brief conversation but I couldn't find any other posting about her comments and being new in her position I wanted to get some feedback.
    "If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom ... go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels nor arms. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." Samuel Adams

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: Talked to Montco Sherriff Behr about OC

I suppose it's better than nothing. At least she has a valid concern and not just "I don't like it so people shouldn't do it." or something of that nature.

You should have asked her about the local police check card that everyone flips out about.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Totez View Post
    I suppose it's better than nothing. At least she has a valid concern and not just "I don't like it so people shouldn't do it." or something of that nature.
    I wonder if thats how people in california feel about having to carry an unloaded weapon . ehhhh its better than nothing .

booo

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by magras View Post
    I wonder if thats how people in california feel about having to carry an unloaded weapon . ehhhh its better than nothing .

booo
    FYI they can't even do that anymore (except long guns)

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/oct...-guns-20111011

(Philadelphia County)

Wink Re: Talked to Montco Sherriff Behr about OC

Quote Originally Posted by bac0nfat View Post
    FYI they can't even do that anymore (except long guns)

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/oct...-guns-20111011
    hmmmm long guns ehhhhh "better than nothin"

Keep in mind that her office is an elected position. Take whatever ones says, in an elected office (which may soon come up for re-election), with a grain of salt with respect to how they REALLY think about an issue.

Certainly her response could have been worse. It also could have been better (going strictly from what you said in your post).

(Chester County)

The problem I have with officials who enforce the laws, as opposed to the folks who write the laws or judges who interpret the laws is that LEOs are not really supposed to have opinions. They can like a law or dislike a law but it is still the law and they are sworn to uphold it. Her answer should have stopped at "It's legal". Not it's legal anywhere but Norristown or it's legal only if you are trained. The only answer she should give in her position is "It's legal".

This is why we all post about our encounters with LEOs and why OC is still an issue worthy of discussion beyond 'what's the best holster'. LEOs should not be interpreting the law but only enforcing it.

(Chester County)

P.S.

I love people who say it is not really a good idea to carry a gun in areas where you might really need it. Like cities!

DUH!

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by mbinpa View Post
    The problem I have with officials who enforce the laws, as opposed to the folks who write the laws or judges who interpret the laws is that LEOs are not really supposed to have opinions. They can like a law or dislike a law but it is still the law and they are sworn to uphold it. Her answer should have stopped at "It's legal". Not it's legal anywhere but Norristown or it's legal only if you are trained. The only answer she should give in her position is "It's legal".

This is why we all post about our encounters with LEOs and why OC is still an issue worthy of discussion beyond 'what's the best holster'. LEOs should not be interpreting the law but only enforcing it.
    Sure they are. The OP asked her opinion. They aren't supposed to enforce their opinions, but there is nothing wrong with having an opinion. Would you rather the sheriff keep her opinion to herself, or have an open dialect about it, and possibly give the OP a chance to educate her about OC?

I remember having a conversation with a cop about OC about a year ago. He said he knew it was legal, but was very opposed to it. He could have kept his opinion to himself and said, "It's legal, and I don't want to talk about it." But instead, he told me his viewpoints, and gave me an opportunity to counter his arguments.

He told me, "If you are open carrying, and a bad guy comes in here to rob the place, he is going to take you out first, because you have a gun."

I said, "Possibly, but more likely he would see that there is an armed person, and decide it's not worth the risk, and walk away."

He said, "So you are saying it's a crime deterrent? I.....never thought about it that way. That actually makes sense."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast