Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Beginner Pistol Information

So I've got a couple of questions, and it seems like this is the right place to get some well informed answers. I just sold my first deer rifle, a Remington .243, to free up some cash to buy my first handgun. Now, eight years later, (I'm currently 20), I'm pretty far out of the gun purchasing game, so it's safe to say I'm a little overwhelmed by all my options. I don't necessarily trust a Cabela's or Bass Pro salesman to try and sell me something that is too far out of my price range, so I thought I'd come here first. That being said, let's move on to my questions. First off.

If I would walk into Cabela's by myself right now, could they, in following with Pennsylvania handgun laws, sell me a handgun, at age 20?

And secondly, bearing in mind my budget ($300 or less), what is a good beginners handgun to learn and start off with?

Thanks for any and all feedback, I'll be checking back periodically to bounce some more questions off the experts here.

Default Re: Beginner Pistol Information

1. No, you must be 21

2. look for a nice used glock 17 or 19 both of which are 9mm... you'll pay more than you've got saved up now but it will be worth it to save more and get something nice. Try www.budsgunshop.com and look in their used guns section and also look in the police trade ins, right now they have glock 22's (.40s&w) with two mags for 369.99.
    Last edited by SigSauer226; October 25th, 2011 at 10:54 PM.

(Jefferson County)

You have to be 21 to have a dealer transfer a handgun to you regardless of state laws. ...it is federal law.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Cumberland County)

I would have to agree with SigSauer226 ^ ^^ ^

saving up even another $75 -$100 could put you in a much better bracket for buying a quality gun that will serve you well.
    Some of the most common in the $375-450 (used) price range are the Glock's, Springfield XD's, and the Smith&Wesson M&P series.

Since you have some time until you turn 21, I would research all of these and even others you may find you like.

You will quickly learn which brands to generally avoid *cough*Taurus*cough* (flame suit on) and also which brands / models have fantastic reputations.

Let us know what you eventually end up deciding. I would actually recommend that WHEN YOU ARE 21, you look in the classifieds section of this forum to see if you can get a great deal from a fellow member. I have had a bunch of positive experiences buying and selling from these guys. Most are A-O-K.
    The Beauty of the 2nd Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.

(Lancaster County)

Got the age figured out it seems, thankfully I'm 21 in less than two months. I've done some research on the Glock 17's, and the only part I'm gunshy (pun not intended) about is the price, even used, $370 plus applicable taxes seems a lot......

$370 isn't a bad price for a used glock 17. Considering they're just shy of $600 new.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Buying used is a good idea when you're starting out. If you decide it's not the best gun for you, you can sell it on the forum for close to what you paid for it. It's an inexpensive way to "rent".

(Tioga County)

You appear to be quite open-minded about the whole situation, so I would counsel looking into a good revolver.

--Phil

(Lebanon County)

I'll offer my 2¢ here.
    A CZ82 is in your price range and you'll have enough to buy a few boxed of ammo too. It's not too big but it isn't a pocket gun, it's heavy enough to keep the recoil mild but light enough to carry comfortably, it's about as ambidextrous as you'll find, (if you want to trainn using your weak hand), it's very reliable, very accurate and the muzzle velocity is only a little bit shy of 9mm.
    The ammo is 9X18 Makarov. I don't have muzzle velocity and energy specs handy but I know I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of either projectile.

ETA: The triggers on every one I've ever shot have been remarkably smooth. I've fired guns with trigger work done that weren't that nice.

It's not a new pistol, it's Czechoslovakian military surplus and a great value.

I bought my first one and liked it so well I bought 2 more.

You don't have to use the original leather flap type holster, there are more conventional holsters available. I might even venture to say that the original holsters are getting harder to find.

In my opinion it's a great first pistol, especially if your budget is tight.

More about it here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CZ_82
    Last edited by mauser; October 26th, 2011 at 02:03 AM.

I don't have a short temper, I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

(Tioga County)

Save a few dollars from your gun allowance and devote it towards an LTCF. From what I have read here the Lancaster county authorities make it a pretty painless process. With your license in hand you will not have any worries about transporting your handgun.

--Phil

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast