Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default First Handgun/First Post

Hello Everyone,

Just brought home my first handgun, a Glock 17 Gen 4. I have been researching and shopping around since the summer. I had narrowed it down to the Glock, S&W M&P, and Springfield XD. I decided on 9mm, figured it would be a good place to start with ownership since I have been shooting a number of times previously and wasn't a terrible shot.

I went to my local range/shop and was able to try out the three models I wanted to. Started with the XD which felt good to me, then I tried the M&P and that felt better. Then I tried the Glock 17 and fell in love and wanted to buy one on the spot. On a side note buying a handgun is a lot like buying a set of darts. You are going to spending hours at a store trying to find somethings that feels good in your hands and you consistently make go the same place.

Anyway, I wasn't hasty with my desire to leave the store with my first handgun and went home for a week to read up a little more on my selection. I finally decided to just go ahead and make it happen and finally purchased my new Glock 17. I know it wont be my last purchase either, from going to different stores and looking in the cases and reading posts on this forum I now want one of everything.

I just want to express how helpful this forum has been, I have never posted anywhere on the internet before but found everyone's experiences to be so helpful to me I wanted to share mine.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: First Handgun/First Post

Congrats on the gun. The G17 is very popular gun. Make sure you take it to range and put plenty of rounds through it before you use it for self defense or home defense. A small number of Gen 4 G17s have had some issues so its always good to make sure the gun works 100%. Plus shooting stuff is fun.

welcome! congratulations on the Nice new Glock! now we need a range report!! with pictures!
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

(Lehigh County)

welcome to the forum. this is a warning: gun collecting can be habit forming and may become an addiction, just ask my wife.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by littleartie View Post
    Hello Everyone,

Just brought home my first handgun, a Glock 17 Gen 4. I have been researching and shopping around since the summer. I had narrowed it down to the Glock, S&W M&P, and Springfield XD. I decided on 9mm, figured it would be a good place to start with ownership since I have been shooting a number of times previously and wasn't a terrible shot.

I went to my local range/shop and was able to try out the three models I wanted to. Started with the XD which felt good to me, then I tried the M&P and that felt better. Then I tried the Glock 17 and fell in love and wanted to buy one on the spot. On a side note buying a handgun is a lot like buying a set of darts. You are going to spending hours at a store trying to find somethings that feels good in your hands and you consistently make go the same place.

Anyway, I wasn't hasty with my desire to leave the store with my first handgun and went home for a week to read up a little more on my selection. I finally decided to just go ahead and make it happen and finally purchased my new Glock 17. I know it wont be my last purchase either, from going to different stores and looking in the cases and reading posts on this forum I now want one of everything.

I just want to express how helpful this forum has been, I have never posted anywhere on the internet before but found everyone's experiences to be so helpful to me I wanted to share mine.
    Welcome to PAFOA, firearm ownership, the Glock family and most important of all - Taking your safety into your own hands.

Richland Township (Bucks County) PA, Pennsylvania
    (Bucks County)

Congratulations on your new glock and welcome to the forums. Your obviously a pretty bright guy from your writing ability - looking forward to more of your posts!
    "More is lost through indecision than wrong decision"

(Lehigh County)

I see your location is Phoenixville, did you get it from French Creek? If so they usually give you a free hour at the range when you purchase a new one there

(Cumberland County)

Wink Re: First Handgun/First Post

congrats and welcome to the forum as well as gun ownership as well. you have entered the realm of a addictive hobby, not a bad thing. just remember it is a hobby where safety is paramount and responsible behavior follows a close second. you now represent millions of other gun owners. keeping in mind the above statement you represent all of us where ever you go, please keep this in mind and make us proud. shoot often, shoot straight, have fun, red dog. ps look forward to additional posts as you enjoy your new hobby.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Storm88000 View Post
    I see your location is Phoenixville, did you get it from French Creek? If so they usually give you a free hour at the range when you purchase a new one there
    Hopefully you got it there during Glock Fest if you got it there...that's where I got all mine, and they have great deals!

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by NAV3 View Post
    Hopefully you got it there during Glock Fest if you got it there...that's where I got all mine, and they have great deals!
    I did go to French Creek and received my free pass for an hour of range time. Unfortunately I was unaware of Glock Fest so I probably did not get the best deal I could.

I appreciate all the welcoming words and want to let everyone know I plan to represent the community well. I was familiar with firearm safety before but went and took another intro safety course before I made a purchase. I live with my girlfriend and even had her take one, that way everyone in the home was familiar with the safety procedures. I am currently scouring the forum to find some locations and reviews for ongoing training, so if anyone has suggestions for training in Philadelphia suburbs let me know. I am a big believer in ongoing education in both my professional life and with my hobbies.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast