Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Question New to this and about to take Police Check Card to Upper Moreland PD. Advice?

Hi All,

I am new to handgun ownership in Pennsylvania, and I am about to take my Police Check Card to the Upper Moreland Police Department for "approval," before I head to Norristown to get my LTCF.

Does anyone have any experience with Upper Moreland PD? How long for approval? Is there anything specific to say or to avoid saying?

This process should really all be done online in 2011.

Thank you!

-TuckerRex

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: New to this and about to take Police Check Card to Upper Moreland PD. Advice?

Quote Originally Posted by TuckerRex View Post
    Hi All,

I am new to handgun ownership in Pennsylvania, and I am about to take my Police Check Card to the Upper Moreland Police Department for "approval," before I head to Norristown to get my LTCF.

Does anyone have any experience with Upper Moreland PD? How long for approval? Is there anything specific to say or to avoid saying?

This process shouldn't really all be done online in 2011 be done at all, as it isn't required under the UFA.

Thank you!

-TuckerRex
    There fixed that for you.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: New to this and about to take Police Check Card to Upper Moreland PD. Advice?

You are absolutely correct!

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by TuckerRex View Post
    Hi All,

This process should really all be done online in 2011.

Thank you!

-TuckerRex
    You're new, so you might not like this news/advice.

The police check card is ONLY done in your County. No other County in the State has such a requirement and it isn't found anywhere in the law.

18 Pa.C.S. § 6109 states in part : (c) Form of application and content.--The application for a license to carry a firearm shall be uniform throughout this Commonwealth and shall be on a form prescribed by the Pennsylvania State Police. The form may contain provisions, not exceeding one page, to assure compliance with this section. Issuing authorities shall use only the application form prescribed by the Pennsylvania State Police.

Furthermore, it is not the duty of your local police to run a background check on you, but rather a duty of the Sheriff and nothing in 6109 gives the Sheriff any explicit authority to mandate you run through more hoops than 6109 provides for.

My advice, do what no other Montgomery County resident has been willing to do; challenge your Sheriff on it. Stand up at a Commissioners meeting and petition to get the matter before your County Solicitor, for example.

Hell, if you're willing to do that I'll come stand with you, and provide a boatload of documents in support.

Welcome to PAFOA.

(Lancaster County)

...and then the gun owners of Montco need to get together and elect a sheriff that will follow the laws and actually do his fucking job.

Took my local PD about 7 days to complete the check form. I had to call 2 separate times to move them along it seemed. At the time I had no idea there is no legal basis for the check card. Even if I had known about it I would have still went through that process for the sake of expediting the capability to defend my family and self instead of spearheading a political movement to get the sheriff to drop the requirement of a check card.. Bottom line, do what you need to do..

(Delaware County)

Requiring you to get a police check card is unlawful.

My advice? Don't do it, stand your ground and no matter what they say, tell them it's not required and youd like them to promptly process your application as you refuse to follow unlawful requirement they decide to make up.

If they say no, get a lawyer and sue. Your first 100.00 donation is waiting from me

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    ...and then the gun owners of Montco need to get together and elect a sheriff that will follow the laws and actually do his fucking job.
    Stop dreaming.
    The 2A does not GIVE us the right. It tells the gov they can not INFRINGE our right.

(Montgomery County)

I'm new to PAFOA and our local county forum. I recently renewed my CCW here in Abington Township. I never had a neg thought about getting the local law card completed and wasn't aware Montco was the only county to do so in PA. If you have no record what is the issue? I took my completed card (no cost) to Montco Sheriff and had my CCW in 20 minutes. Having the local law do the check I'm guessing cuts out the middle man at Sheriff's office having to do so. If I'm wrong please enlighten me.
    Secure1

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by SecureOne View Post
    I'm new to PAFOA and our local county forum. I recently renewed my CCW here in Abington Township. I never had a neg thought about getting the local law card completed and wasn't aware Montco was the only county to do so in PA. If you have no record what is the issue? I took my completed card (no cost) to Montco Sheriff and had my CCW in 20 minutes. Having the local law do the check I'm guessing cuts out the middle man at Sheriff's office having to do so. If I'm wrong please enlighten me.
    It's an extra hurdle that you as a citizen of PA shouldn't have to do. It's not part of the UFA, the Sheriff is the one that is to be doing the check, no else should be. You took your completed card, at the cost of your time and gas to the sheriff, that's how you should have put it. Everywhere else, other than Montco and Philthy you just walk into the sheriff's office and fill out the paperwork there and in many counties, walk right out with your LTCF.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast