Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: New to this and about to take Police Check Card to Upper Moreland PD. Advice?

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    If you're denied based upon the local police check, then they would obviously have something on file for you. Denying a valid FOIA request would mean that they are in violation of the Open Records act, and there are penalties for being in violation of that.

PA is a shall issue state, meaning if there's no reason to deny, they shall issue. They would have to provide some reason for the denial, other than you're an asshole.
    I am currently working with him to obtain the reason for his denial. I really want a "poster boy" to fight this issue also. Its a multi front battle, but one that I can not stand seeing happen around here.

The biggest issue is, what is legal, and what is financially available to fight an issue. I have a few people who can help me fund a defense, but I would like to find the right people to fight both issues.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: New to this and about to take Police Check Card to Upper Moreland PD. Advice?

Quote Originally Posted by Glock9mm View Post
    I am currently working with him to obtain the reason for his denial. I really want a "poster boy" to fight this issue also. Its a multi front battle, but one that I can not stand seeing happen around here.

The biggest issue is, what is legal, and what is financially available to fight an issue. I have a few people who can help me fund a defense, but I would like to find the right people to fight both issues.
    FOIA requests I believe are free or relatively cheap. It's worth filing one once you get his denial back.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Montgomery County)

FOIA requests I believe are free or relatively cheap. It's worth filing one once you get his denial back.
    I most certainly will. My belief is that is has to do with his father, and not him. He is a decorated Vet, and the son of a local DB. I am hoping to be able to make a great example with him. Everyone loves a story of taking away freedoms from those tasked with protecting them!

(Lancaster County)

I most certainly will. My belief is that is has to do with his father, and not him. He is a decorated Vet, and the son of a local DB. I am hoping to be able to make a great example with him. Everyone loves a story of taking away freedoms from those tasked with protecting them!
    Just a tip on filing for a FOIA. Be specific as to the information you're requesting, but do not ask for it to be in any specific format. They can deny a request if you're asking for it to be in a format in which they do not currently keep data. This could be a specific file type, or any number of other things.

I wouldn't ask anything more than the following:

Per the denial of an LTCF for John Q. Publick, I am requesting any and all records in any format currently stored on John Q. Publick by the PD that are not directly related to an active or inactive criminal investigation.

(Montgomery County)

Just a tip on filing for a FOIA. Be specific as to the information you're requesting, but do not ask for it to be in any specific format. They can deny a request if you're asking for it to be in a format in which they do not currently keep data. This could be a specific file type, or any number of other things.

I wouldn't ask anything more than the following:

Per the denial of an LTCF for John Q. Publick, I am requesting any and all records in any format currently stored on John Q. Publick by the PD that are not directly related to an active or inactive criminal investigation.
    Thanks for the tip. I printed out that page.

(Lancaster County)

Thanks for the tip. I printed out that page.
    I would also include your friends DOB in the request. That way you're sure they're getting the correct person.

(Montgomery County)

I would also include your friends DOB in the request. That way you're sure they're getting the correct person.
    DOB, SS# and PA DL are being supplied for that reason.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234