Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Re: New to this and about to take Police Check Card to Upper Moreland PD. Advice?

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    ...and then the gun owners of Montco need to get together and elect a sheriff that will follow the laws and actually do his fucking job.
    There's the problem, the guys currently running for MONTCO Sheriff won't answer the question of this check card.

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    You'd think at least one of the local police chiefs would object to doing this extra step for the sheriff
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    been going on so long they probably don't know any different.
    Not to mention that the Sheriff of a county is (sometimes?)considered the top law enforcement official in the county, so the locals are just following orders. Oh, and HG, you're assuming that the local PDs in this state, of which there are many, know all the statutes the way we do because the issue is close to us. Hell, until recently most cops didn't (and some still don't) know that OC is not against the law.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: New to this and about to take Police Check Card to Upper Moreland PD. Advice?

Quote Originally Posted by TuckerRex View Post
    Hi All,

I am new to handgun ownership in Pennsylvania, and I am about to take my Police Check Card to the Upper Moreland Police Department for "approval," before I head to Norristown to get my LTCF.

Does anyone have any experience with Upper Moreland PD? How long for approval? Is there anything specific to say or to avoid saying?

This process should really all be done online in 2011.

Thank you!

-TuckerRex
    I recently got my carry license and the police check took about 2 days. I dropped it off on Tuesday, had it back on Thursday and dropped it off in Norristown that same day, and in 20 minutes had my carry license.

It would be interesting to know if a person who was otherwise eligible for a LTCF (able to pass PICS) was denied by the sheriff due to his local PD giving a negative report on the check card.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    It would be interesting to know if a person who was otherwise eligible for a LTCF (able to pass PICS) was denied by the sheriff due to his local PD giving a negative report on the check card.
    I would imagine the "character and reputation" clause is the reason they involve the local PD, the sheriff probably still does the PICS check. So yes, it may have happened.

(Montgomery County)

In Montgomery County people have been denied that would have otherwise passed through with a PICS check. The local police do the check to keep guns out of hands of local assholes who slipped through rules that they could be charged and convicted of. While this is disgusting, and not following the law, who is going to support it?

For every one person out there fighting for gun rights, there are two fighting against it. The number is greater in liberal areas that lie inside of Montgomery County.

If someone wants to stand up for it, I would be more than willing to go as a Montogomery County resident. It just needs to be a show of many, not just a few.

Personally I don't care much anymore since I can just renew my permit without my local storm troopers signing my papers to carry in their kingdom, but I would love to others to not have to go through it.

I would even be willing to donate and raise money to fight it if we have a lawyer who thinks they can make the case. Anyone else care to take up the cause? Montgomery County residents are prefered to carry weight, but anyone is welcome.

Side note: I have e-mailed and called Sheriff Baer numerous times and have had no response from her office on the matter. This is a highly political issue, and if nothing else getting a little squirm in the seat from them on making it very public would be great.
    Last edited by Glock9mm; February 3rd, 2012 at 03:21 PM.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Glock9mm View Post
    In Montgomery County people have been denied that would have otherwise passed through with a PICS check. The local police do the check to keep guns out of hands of local assholes who slipped through rules that they could be charged and convicted of. While this is disgusting, and not following the law, who is going to support it?
    That sounds like the police are using their "Contact Database" in regards to their check on the applicant. I know many PD's have been keeping such a database for many years. Basically anyone that they come into contact with, whether they've been charged with a crime or not, if they've made contact with an officer in an official capacity, the details of that contact go into the database.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Montgomery County)

That sounds like the police are using their "Contact Database" in regards to their check on the applicant. I know many PD's have been keeping such a database for many years. Basically anyone that they come into contact with, whether they've been charged with a crime or not, if they've made contact with an officer in an official capacity, the details of that contact go into the database.
    Sure does, doesn't it. The person I know purchased a handgun, went the next day to drop off the check card, and within a week was told it could not be approved. Not even a speeding ticket in that time, and only a resident of that town for 3 months after getting out of the military.

I think some cops fail to remember when off duty they are no different then the rest of us, and on duty they work for us.

(Lancaster County)

Sure does, doesn't it. The person I know purchased a handgun, went the next day to drop off the check card, and within a week was told it could not be approved. Not even a speeding ticket in that time, and only a resident of that town for 3 months after getting out of the military.

I think some cops fail to remember when off duty they are no different then the rest of us, and on duty they work for us.
    I wonder if one can file a FOIA request for all information that the PD currently has on a person that doesn't directly relate to an active investigation into a criminal matter.

(Montgomery County)

I wonder if one can file a FOIA request for all information that the PD currently has on a person that doesn't directly relate to an active investigation into a criminal matter.
    You can go into a bank and request $1,000,000 in cash from an account holding $50. My guess is the answer would be just the same. My guess is no one in the local government would want you to know what is in those files.

(Lancaster County)

You can go into a bank and request $1,000,000 in cash from an account holding $50. My guess is the answer would be just the same. My guess is no one in the local government would want you to know what is in those files.
    If you're denied based upon the local police check, then they would obviously have something on file for you. Denying a valid FOIA request would mean that they are in violation of the Open Records act, and there are penalties for being in violation of that.

PA is a shall issue state, meaning if there's no reason to deny, they shall issue. They would have to provide some reason for the denial, other than you're an asshole.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast