Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Re: New to this and about to take Police Check Card to Upper Moreland PD. Advice?

Quote Originally Posted by SecureOne View Post
    I'm new to PAFOA and our local county forum. I recently renewed my CCW here in Abington Township. I never had a neg thought about getting the local law card completed and wasn't aware Montco was the only county to do so in PA. If you have no record what is the issue? I took my completed card (no cost) to Montco Sheriff and had my CCW in 20 minutes. Having the local law do the check I'm guessing cuts out the middle man at Sheriff's office having to do so. If I'm wrong please enlighten me.
    The Sheriff is required by law to run a criminal background check, making the local check a redundant waste of time and money.

That, and each person's application is of no business of the local police, and firearms license applicants shouldn't be asked to check in with the police in a manner strikingly similar to what sex offenders must do. It's not the same level as that, but it's way too close to it.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: New to this and about to take Police Check Card to Upper Moreland PD. Advice?

UPDATE: Even though it adds an extra step, at least it seems like an easy one. I dropped off my form at UMPD today and it was immediately stamped as received. The woman at the desk was pleasant and told me to call in 5 days to confirm that it is ready for pickup.

Thank you for everyone's input!

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by TuckerRex View Post
    UPDATE: Even though it adds an extra step, at least it seems like an easy one. I dropped off my form at UMPD today and it was immediately stamped as received. The woman at the desk was pleasant and told me to call in 5 days to confirm that it is ready for pickup.

Thank you for everyone's input!
    Everyone's line in the sand is different.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by IronSight View Post
    The Sheriff is required by law to run a criminal background check, making the local check a redundant waste of time and money.

That, and each person's application is of no business of the local police, and firearms license applicants shouldn't be asked to check in with the police in a manner strikingly similar to what sex offenders must do. It's not the same level as that, but it's way too close to it.
    Has anybody spoken with her about this since she took office?

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerJon View Post
    Everyone's line in the sand is different.
    Exactly. And I am comparing this process to the one in my previous state of residence (California, Los Angeles County), making Montgomery County's process seem like a breeze.

(Delaware County)

Exactly. And I am comparing this process to the one in my previous state of residence (California, Los Angeles County), making Montgomery County's process seem like a breeze.
    Just don't complain if asked to fill out an additional card for the FBI and wildlife officer. Or if you are told to pay 46 or 106 dollars instead of 20

You are contributing to their unlawful actions by acceptance and compliance.

Just saying. Give them an inch and they'll take a mile

(Lehigh County)

Ahh what a bunch of crap. The g/f wants to get her LTCF in case she needs to hold one of my firearms in her purse or something, and she's still trying to find time to take off work to bring the check card to her local PD.

It's so easy in Bucks county, you're in an out. Lehigh county was semi-easy although the references needed are BS and it takes about 2 weeks to get.

You'd think at least one of the local police chiefs would object to doing this extra step for the sheriff

(Northampton County)

UPDATE: Even though it adds an extra step, at least it seems like an easy one
    just like a rectal exam, here is the problem complacency at its best. This community needs to continue to stand up to these cowboys, through the legislated process we can insure that all law enforcement agency's in the commonwealth is compliant and adheres to the ufa. This BS has got to stop, municipalities have added this check card and references required to live in the same county is complete BS. the lack of action implies acceptance.

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    You'd think at least one of the local police chiefs would object to doing this extra step for the sheriff
    They love having that power, it's like saying I am raping you and there's nothing you can do about it.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    been going on so long they probably don't know any different.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast