Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Reciprocity of FL and AZ non-resident permits in AL

I am planning a trip in which I will traveling by air from Philly to TX and then driving through LA, MS and AL before returning by air to Philly. I have a PA resident LTCF and also FL and AZ non-resident carry permits, so my understanding is that it will be legal to carry in TX, LA and MS. But in AL it is less clear, from the different travel reciprocity websites I have examined I am either OK or not OK to carry in AL in my situation. The question is whether AL honors non-resident permits from states that honor AL permits (like FL), and even the AL state website is somewhat unclear on this issue.

Since I was going to fly out of Birmingham, I want to be certain of the legality of my FL/AZ permits for valid carry (otherwise I might prefer to extend the travel to fly out of TN which definitely will be OK). Can anyone at PAFOA in my situation with FL/AZ permits share experience carrying in AL? (or otherwise prepared to advise?)

Default Re: Reciprocity of FL and AZ non-resident permits in AL

Quote Originally Posted by PPKman View Post
    I am planning a trip in which I will traveling by air from Philly to TX and then driving through LA, MS and AL before returning by air to Philly. I have a PA resident LTCF and also FL and AZ non-resident carry permits, so my understanding is that it will be legal to carry in TX, LA and MS. But in AL it is less clear, from the different travel reciprocity websites I have examined I am either OK or not OK to carry in AL in my situation. The question is whether AL honors non-resident permits from states that honor AL permits (like FL), and even the AL state website is somewhat unclear on this issue.

Since I was going to fly out of Birmingham, I want to be certain of the legality of my FL/AZ permits for valid carry (otherwise I might prefer to extend the travel to fly out of TN which definitely will be OK). Can anyone at PAFOA in my situation with FL/AZ permits share experience carrying in AL? (or otherwise prepared to advise?)
    According to handgunlaw.us both your Florida and AZ permits are honored in AL. What info have you uncovered to make you think otherwise?
    I am not a lawyer and nothing I say should be construed as legal advice.

(Bucks County)

AL Attorney General

NOTE REGARDING NON-RESIDENCE LICENSES

Will Alabama honor a non-resident concealed handgun license in addition to honoring the concealed handgun licenses issued to a resident of one of the states that recognizes and honors Alabama concealed handgun licenses?

Alabama issues concealed handgun licenses only to residents of Alabama, through the sheriff of their county of residence.

Some states, with whom we have reciprocal recognition of concealed handgun licenses, issue handgun licenses not only to residents of their state but also issue "non-resident" concealed handgun licenses to residents of other states.

At the present time, Act 2001-494 does not specifically address the issue of Alabama's recognition of a non-resident handgun license issued by a state with which Alabama has reciprocal recognition of concealed handgun licenses. Nor is there a formal Attorney General's Opinion, or Alabama case law on this subject. If an Alabama law enforcement agency requests and receives an official Attorney General's Opinion that opinion will be available to the public on our web site in the Opinions section.

Until the Legislature, or a court of competent jurisdiction, or an "official" Attorney General's Opinion addresses this question, our office's "unofficial opinion" is that, at this time, Alabama will honor non-resident concealed handgun licenses from a state which recognizes handgun licenses issued to Alabama residents. Since this is a new area of law and subject to change, we do urge caution. It is suggested that persons whose state of residence does not recognize Alabama concealed handgun licenses periodically check our website and the website of the state which issues their non-resident concealed handgun license, as well as being aware of news stories and court cases on the subject.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by zackattack784 View Post
    According to handgunlaw.us both your Florida and AZ permits are honored in AL. What info have you uncovered to make you think otherwise?
    The travel reciprocity page on the USCCA site for example indicates AL is illegal.

The AL state site is supportive, granted, but there has been no test in court nor 'official' pronouncement apparently.

Still curious how this might work out in practice, if there is anyone out there who has had individual experience checking in at an AL airport with a valid nonresident permit from a nonresident state.
    Last edited by PPKman; October 24th, 2011 at 11:26 PM.

The travel reciprocity page on the USCCA site for example indicates AL is illegal.

The AL state site is supportive, granted, but there has been no test in court nor 'official' pronouncement apparently.

Still curious how this might work out in practice, if there is anyone out there who has had individual experience checking in at an AL airport with a valid nonresident permit from a nonresident state.
    Would they even ask for a permit at a AL airport and if they did would you be legally required to produce it? My guess is no to both.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by zackattack784 View Post
    Would they even ask for a permit at a AL airport and if they did would you be legally required to produce it? My guess is no to both.
    Yes that is probably right, the risk is low. But it is not zero. I was just in Des Moines IA where at a late hour check-in when TSA was standing aside the airline agent while the bag was checked (I was the only one around), both the the airline agent and the TSA agent DID ask to see the permit and there was a discussion about it. They were satisfied and there was no issue, but it was more thorough than I expected. Hence my curiosity about anyone having experience in AL.

Yes that is probably right, the risk is low. But it is not zero. I was just in Des Moines IA where at a late hour check-in when TSA was standing aside the airline agent while the bag was checked (I was the only one around), both the the airline agent and the TSA agent DID ask to see the permit and there was a discussion about it. They were satisfied and there was no issue, but it was more thorough than I expected. Hence my curiosity about anyone having experience in AL.
    I've never checked a firearm on a flight so clearly you have more experience with it than I do lol. If it weren't for the whole flying thing I'd probably just say concealed is concealed. Hopefully someone else comes along that has some first hand experience.

(Bucks County)

But....checking a firearm thru airport luggage...doesn't require a permit...? If that were the case our neighbors to the East could never fly.