Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default I've made up my mind on my first gun.

I've decided that I'm getting the Smith and Wesson Sigma SW9VE 9mm. The price is pretty much exactly what I wanted and it seems to be a nice Glock clone (which is why Glock originally sued them when it first came out lol). I figure it will be a good gun to train on. That is unless anyone has some horror stories or comments on it. I figure that while it might not be as great a Glock, it still is S&W, so its not like I'm buying from some no-name company. The videos seem to show the weapon handles itself already and best of all it's not a compact or something that screams liquor store robber.

With any luck I should have it in by Saturday.

(Butler County)

Default Re: I've made up my mind on my first gun.

Congrats on the purchase. Update with pictures when you get it.

How did it handle when you shot it? That's the main thing that matters. Congratulations on your first!

(Westmoreland County)

The Smith and Wesson SW9VE is like the name says...........a Smith and Wesson. I still have to run into a bad S&W and have my mind set on a SW9VE myself so please keep us updated. I am not really a semi man but since I have some empty spots in my safe......it most likely will fit the bill.
    Besides.......if I don't like it, the misses might be able to use it.
    You can only get smarter by playing a smarter opponent

(Cumberland County)

Just curious if you have already paid for it? Or are you ordering it tomorrow? You may want to google s&w sigma problems and read through a few hundred pages first. Please dot think I am trying to be a downer. Any gun is better than no gun, but I just wanted to try to save you some of the heart aches I endured when I owned a sigma.

There is a reason you can buy one new for under $300...
    There is a reason a glock costs $400-$500 depending on if you are willing to go used.

I owned my for a total of 3 days before it went back to s&w. I could not get through a full magazine of 10 for anything. Two weeks later, I got it back and it would not lock the slide back after the last round and still had some Failure to Eject issues. It went back to s&w again. At that point I was so pissed off, I sold it to a friend (who knew of te issues with it) for next to nothing just so I could go buy a good, RELIABLE gun.

I ended up with a springfield xd .40 and after 5 years of hard use (12,000 rounds to date) I have not had a single issue whatsoever.

Bottom line is it is your money and your decision. And it's great that you are getting a handgun. Even if you want to take my experience with a grain of salt, AT LEAST do some research on the problems common to the sigma series.

S&W m&p 9mm 's are a whole different story, and I would highly recommend one of them if you are wanting the Smith and Wesson name.
    The Beauty of the 2nd Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.

(Westmoreland County)

There are always what I like to call "Monday Morning Monsters," this is with every brand and even with Glocks. I owned a Glock once that had problems all the time and it got to the point that I actually traded it for pennies on the dollar. If the OP has his mind set on the SW9VE than more power to him............he most likely tried the same model out before buying (I would've).

It is like you said......"A" gun is better then no gun but I would not trash the S&W name as they are still amongst the leaders.

My 2 cents

(Cumberland County)

Clearly no trashing on smith and wesson is present since I gave a plug to them in recommending the m&p series of auto handguns they have. please read the whole post before replying to it.

Also, the sigma series must be only made on Monday's and Tuesday's then, because one out of every two seem to be junk. do research, then come back and support them.

Also, the original poster made no indication whatsoever that he has been able to try it out. In fact , he says "the videos seem...." so he hasn't even touched one yet. Again, a little critical reading will go a long way in avoiding unnecessary and useless posts based on assumptions.
    The Beauty of the 2nd Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by jachrist View Post
    Clearly no trashing on smith and wesson is present since I gave a plug to them in recommending the m&p series of auto handguns they have. please read the whole post before replying to it.
    I did read and like I stated at the end of my post....."my 2 cents"

Also, the sigma series must be only made on Monday's and Tuesday's then, because one out of every two seem to be junk. do research, then come back and support them.
    Can you post some links where it says that these are junk? Please no yahoo or Ehow sites, but sites like GB forum etc etc.

Also, the original poster made no indication whatsoever that he has been able to try it out. In fact , he says "the videos seem...." so he hasn't even touched one yet. Again, a little critical reading will go a long way in avoiding unnecessary and useless posts based on assumptions.
    Whether the OP made his decision based on a video or actually held the gun and tried it has nothing to do with this. I support him/her for the full hundred percent and like my parents always said, you learn from your mistakes, although I do not think the OP is making a big mistake by buying a SW9VE. I respect your opinion as I expect you to respect mine and for the SW9VE...........they are considered to be just as good as a Glock. Further more..........I don't think my post was useless....if all....it was constructive.
    Last edited by D10; October 24th, 2011 at 02:37 AM.

(Montgomery County)

Your comment, "I figure that while it might not be as great a Glock . . . " is, IMO, accurate.

But, though there are a lot of guns that might not be as great as another (the list would be endless, as would the debate), why start out with one that's got a somewhat tainted reputation? To be clear, I do not now, nor have I ever, owned one. I'm basing this on what I've read and heard. I've read/heard negative things about a lot of guns, so, I don't take one or two opinions as gospel. But, I think most folks will agree that while gun to gun, you might end up with a great one (and I hope you do), overall, the Sigma series wasn't S&W's shining moment.

You also mention it being a good gun to train on. As has already been said, any gun is better than none, but it's probably easier and far more enjoyable to train on a gun you can trust, than on one you'll have to screw around with (again that's if you have problems).

Your mind appears to be made up, and honestly, I look forward to reading a great post from you, similar to the experience I had with a used Taurus PT-940 (bought it despite it's reputation, because it was $225). In my case, that gun runs flawlessly. I'll be the first to admit though, I think it was luck. It wasn't my first gun, and I expected problems, but was willing to take the chance. So again, here's hoping you report back that runs like a top.

If your mind is still open to other possibilities:

I'd consider a used Ruger MKIII 22/45. No "big bang", but it would be hard to find a better gun to build your skills with, have a blast, and do both while spending almost nothing on ammo. And, a used MKIII 22/45 can usually be found for between $150 and $225, with new ones around $329. I'd also consider a Glock 19 or Glock 17, because despite their boring appearance, either one is likely to work forever. Used Glocks typically run between $329 and $429) with new ones starting around $469. Or, maybe a nice Beretta 92FS or M9. Those are probably my top picks for "first gun", but seriously, take it for what it is: info from a guy that changes guns like socks.

I wish you the best with whatever you get - seriously. Enjoy it, and let us know how it goes.
    Last edited by marks; October 24th, 2011 at 02:53 AM. Reason: Spelling. It's very late. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
    "I don't care what went wrong. I beat the snot out of it until it works" - Clint Smith

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by marks View Post
    Or, maybe a nice Beretta 92FS or M9.
    I second that option......and might I add the Taurus PT 92/99 as a substitute?
    The price of a Taurus compared to a Beretta is bar none cheaper and they can be found second hand for as low as $225 on "gunsAmerica" or "GB".

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast