Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: misfire ?

(York County)

Default misfire ?

Ive recently purchased a Taurus model 65 revolver.Ive taken it to the range twice putting about 50 rounds each time but it has misfired a few times seems always last shot and in single action.I'm not saying every sixth shot,but when it happens it seems to be on the sixth shot.any ideas? is there a "break in " period or is this more of a problem? just wondering should i just send it in or work it out? and please no "buy a real gun" or "Taurus sucks" comments,it is what it is i already own it and do have Glocks and Rugers so please stay on point,just asking a question is all.

Default Re: misfire ?

Is there a primer strike indentation? if not it may be out of timing. but then again if it were out of timing shouldn't it affect all cylinders?
    FJB

(Susquehanna County)

What ammo are you shooting? My Smiths will occasionally misfire with certain primers. I don't even try anything now but Federal. (I have heard that Federal factory rounds now may have CCI primers. CCI is the hardest to ignite.)
    If your gun has a leaf type mainspring, you may check the tension. If it's a leaf it will be a flathead screw in the front of the frame on the bottom. I think, tho, that Taurus uses a coil spring. Try a couple types of ammo. You might find one it likes better.
    Also, your hammer will fall with more force double action. Try pulling all the way through the cycle smoothly. It may just need firing to smooth itself up. Hope this helps. Good shooting!
    When seconds count, the police are only minutes away...

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    Is there a primer strike indentation? if not it may be out of timing. but then again if it were out of timing shouldn't it affect all cylinders?
    wish i wouldve checked that...lol so i dont know at this point till i go back

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by drphil1057 View Post
    What ammo are you shooting? My Smiths will occasionally misfire with certain primers. I don't even try anything now but Federal. (I have heard that Federal factory rounds now may have CCI primers. CCI is the hardest to ignite.)
    If your gun has a leaf type mainspring, you may check the tension. If it's a leaf it will be a flathead screw in the front of the frame on the bottom. I think, tho, that Taurus uses a coil spring. Try a couple types of ammo. You might find one it likes better.
    Also, your hammer will fall with more force double action. Try pulling all the way through the cycle smoothly. It may just need firing to smooth itself up. Hope this helps. Good shooting!
    I'm using federal 180 grain jsp.thanks ill switch up ammo and try what you mentioned about pulling through the cycle..much appreciated

As a fan of many Taurus models, I would call their CS dept. and see what they advise. There have been a few issues with this model and light primer strikes. It should ignite just about anything you put in it. You can try cleaning everything well with something like "Gun Scrubber", especially the firing pin and channel. Reoil when dry and work it in well with an unloaded cylinder. If this doesn't do it, I would probably let Taurus adjust it for me. JMHO
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.