Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Delaware County)

Default Brand New Remington Model 788 .243

I have this rifle that my elderly father asked me to sell. I am not offering it for sale in this thread!

What I would like to find out is what would be the best way/place to sell it. From what I have read online, it seems to have a good reputation as an accurate rifle. I have no idea what would be a fair price for it. I suggested that we go to the local shop and he could trade it towards a carry pistol. This rifle was purchased in the '70s and went straight into a case and was never fired.

Any input/direction would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Brand New Remington Model 788 .243

A private sale should be in the realm of $400-600, sale to a shop might net you $150-300. Advertise in the Classified here or on the bulletin board at theDelco Field & Stream. Ask for a copy of LTCF & Driver's License for private sales.

Best regards,
    chalmitch
    "If you believe the term "militia" means the National Guard then you must believe that freedom of speech is reserved for the Government Printing Office." - Some guy, 2/2007

(Elk County)

They are great rifles. Not the smoothest action in the world, but they have 9 locking lugs on the bolt. Stocks were pretty basic. I have a 7mm-08 carbine. Benchrest shooters gobble them up for the actions. I usually see them go for around $350-400 around here in pretty good condition. The rare calibers like 30-30, etc bring more. Carbines usually bring a small premium also.

(Clearfield County)

Quote Originally Posted by C6U4EA View Post
    I have this rifle that my elderly father asked me to sell. I am not offering it for sale in this thread!

What I would like to find out is what would be the best way/place to sell it. From what I have read online, it seems to have a good reputation as an accurate rifle. I have no idea what would be a fair price for it. I suggested that we go to the local shop and he could trade it towards a carry pistol. This rifle was purchased in the '70s and went straight into a case and was never fired.

Any input/direction would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff
    I agree with the estimates you are getting, an as new 788 in 243 will bring $500 without too much trouble. If you want to sell it quick, take it to a King of Prussia gun show and either a dealer or (better) an attendee will give you the $500. Good luck.

(Northumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by hooknladder View Post
    They are great rifles. Not the smoothest action in the world, but they have 9 locking lugs on the bolt. Stocks were pretty basic. I have a 7mm-08 carbine. Benchrest shooters gobble them up for the actions. I usually see them go for around $350-400 around here in pretty good condition. The rare calibers like 30-30, etc bring more. Carbines usually bring a small premium also.
    ^^^^^Spot on! I collect 788's (4 so far) new, unfired may bring a little more but its a common caliber (30/30 & 44 mag are rare), also left handed versions command a premium. They are excellent rifles and very accurate, I'd think long and hard before I got rid of it. Good luck.
    "You never lived till you almost died, for those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know"

(York County)

Good luck...........