Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Hokkmike Guest

Default Anyone have good coyote strategies?

I have NEVER hunted coyotyes. I am interested in trying. There certainly are enough of them around here. Someone, not long ago, suggested night hunting, but I don't know. Anyway, if somebody here has any definitive coyote hunting strategies, procedures or tricks learned from experience I'd appreciate hearing from them.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Anyone have good coyote strategies?

they are VERY attracted to Road Kill deer. need I say more?

Rich W.

(Allegheny County)

Yeah I got a great strategy... Buy a bear license.

Next fall, I'll just write: "Coyote License - because you already know I'm not going to shoot a bear" in the memo field on the check to the PAGC.

I've seen them in hoards and I wish I could explain to you where. An old man who is actually my mother's older cousin took us up to his cabin. Cabin was an understatement; his cabin is nicer than mine or my folks' house. We followed him up rt66 to meadville, then we took back roads for 2 hours. He said NY was close... So I guess the only reason we didn't stay on main roads was his grumpy "old man-ism".

Up there twice, I was swarmed by coyotes. It was exilerating to say the least. It really made you feel like you weren't the greater species. I guess their prowess made them too cocky... Because it was easy to take one. But they weren't pretty. They were big woods coyotes and very shaggy.

HokkMike, I've hunted coyotes all of my life and would be happy to pass on some basic strategies for the 'yotes. I don't have the time right now to type everything out, but those interested, keep your eyes on this thread because I'll have a detailed techniques post coming VERY soon. I'm 24 years old (fixing to be 25) and have hunted coyotes with my father since before I could even hold a rifle. I have personally killed around the 100-150, and been with friends that have killed just as many. We're pretty serious about the coyote hunting. Anyway, I'd be happy to pass along some knowledge.

(Adams County)

Tomcat088, did you kill these critters in Texas.....or east coast? I hunted them quite a bit in southern california, and found that the Eastern yotes are a bit different. It will be interesting to see your strategies. Here in the eastern woods they can creep up on you and "appear" less than 20 yards away without you knowing they were there at all....happens alot in spring turkey season when cutting/yelping and not even hunting yotes at the time!. Not at all like the 200/300/400 yard shots required in southern cal. Most of the places out here offer fairly short range cracks. Looking forward to your post.

PS: Does "Tomcat" refer to the F-14 Tomcat? Just curious.

First, you get yourself a good sheep costume.....Sorry, I had to do it. I think learning how to call is the way to go. I am not much of a predator hunter, but the guys that I know who are, are obsessed with calling.
    Jules

(Chester County)

Why do you want to kill coyotes?

Quote Originally Posted by str8shooter View Post

I don't think that was the reply he was looking for in this thread.
    Jules

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by str8shooter View Post
    Wow......didn't see that coming....if you want a great answer I can forward you to a rancher in California and a Farmer in Maryland. Both have lost substantial income because of Coyotes. I have started hunting them again because the farm I deer hunt on has had numerous fawns killed by them, and the farmer has asked me too help protect is livestock. I've offered to help bale hay, fix fences, feed, you name it.....all he asks of me is to kill as many groundhogs and yotes that I can. The pay back?.....a great place to hunt deer, dove and turkey.

Not to mention the challenge of hunting coyotes....it seems to change wherever you go.

(Columbia County)

I have tried the songdog thing just to get 1 for the pelt and find out how tasty they are. But never saw one night,day no diffrence calls diddn't even help. The ruger NO. 3 (223) will have a word with a few gophers this spring.
    ZRT: SECTOR 3(SNIPER) Among othe tasks...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast