Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: stupid question

(York County)

Default stupid question

ok i am going to get my ccw soon (kind of besides the point) and live in pa (now heres the dumb question part)..i work in MD,the range i go to is in MD,

1) because its close to my work
    2)cause its a new range and the place is great,people,service etc.

now i understand the part about not carrying over into MD and gun has to be unloaded and locked up yada yada yada,but the next part is confusing,by the law i cant even have it with me unless I'm going to or from the range hence i cant take it leave it in vehicle while I'm in work then go to the range ? if thats correct it sucks and MD sucks (glad i moved).now i know ill get the "just go to a pa range" but i really like that range,its like a good doctor you find one you want to keep it,and back to the carrying part especially with recent situations in the area id feel safer (as safe as you could feel i guess ) carrying.not that i want to give my life for my vehicle but now days they dont care about your life so you never know if your life is in danger or not in a robbery anyway and i work hard for what little i have and the bastards aren't just gonna take it from me.(sorry off my soap box..lol)..i guess bottom line Maryland law sucks,its meant more to protect the criminal than its law abiding citizens...any thoughts???

(York County)

Default Re: stupid question

When I was a Marylander
    I spoke as a Marylander
    I understood as a Marylander
    I thought as a Marylander;

but when I became a Pennsylvanian, I put away Maryland-ish things.

As a former Marylander who also still works in Maryland I implore you to investigate PA's ranges. There are more ranges in York County than in all of Maryland. Find one you like. Seriously.

Want Gucci and spendy? Check out Freedom Armory in Glen Rock, or Isaac Walton. Want economical? Expect to pay in the neighborhood of $20 - $30 per person per year for some very nice ranges. These very nice ranges will not be close to your work, they will be close to your home. You still go home from time to time, right?

Welcome to PAFOA, and welcome to Pennsylvania. And once in a while, close and lock the gate to 83-S into Maryland, and explore York, Adams, and Lancaster Counties.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(York County)

Welcome to York county. I'm over at the York Riflemen Range atleast once every two or three weeks. If you're interested send me pm and we can do a little shooting and let you see the range.

(York County)

i get what your saying curmudgeon,its just going to the range before the hour drive home feels better,once i do the drive im just ready to be home,not to mention alot of family and friends still live in md and i enjoy range time with them,its more of an event than just shooting..lol,i will check the ranges up here, and even though i couldnt wait to get out of md some rituals are just hard to break especially the ones i enjoyed,thanks for the info.
    Last edited by axell2002; October 21st, 2011 at 11:39 PM.

(York County)

much appreciated biohazard,i just checked out the rifleman page,it looks pretty cool being a club but not sure I'm ready to join a club yet but i do thank you for the invite and will definitely keep that in mind.

side note:basically to everyone on these threads,this site is great,people are friendly and informative,respectful and interesting,so far Ive been treated great,no smart or out of line comments,just a great place to chat with some really good people on here. thanks

(Dauphin County)

I would say visit your range for dedicated range trips so you can still patronize your favorite haunt, however seriously consider looking into ranges on our side of the fence for ease of use.

I don't think there can be a much better answer as I'm fairly certain Maryland does not recognize any other state Carry Permits, nor do they grant out-of-state permits (Again, not sure on this, but I wouldn't put it past them.....)

(Mercer County)

As I tell the students in my classes: You always hear the cliche phrase, "There's no such thing as a stupid question." This isn't true, there ARE such things as stupid questions. However, they do not exist in the world of firearms. What you don't know can kill you or get you thrown in jail. It's better to ask and find out, than it is to assume and pay the consequences. So I don't want to see any of this "Stupid Question" nonsense in your thread titles again. I commend you for seeking guidance. Stick around this site, and you'll learn more than you ever thought possible.

That said, I wouldn't take a gun into Commuland for any amount of money. Yes, there are supposed to be provisions in place to allow for certain things, but it doesn't always work out that way. Ask Brian Aitken.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

(Monroe County)

" you cant always get what you want, you cant always get what ya want"- Rolling Stones

(York County)

sprrdhawk44,
    thanks for the advice and i have another question since your an instructor,I'm cross eye dominant,i don't have to any problems with pistols i just use both eyes open,but haven't shot many rifles but have recently acquired some so should i just shoot left handed or is it worth it trying to train my right eye,hearing conflicting advice even to just lean head over more to use left eye on sight,what ya think?

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by axell2002 View Post
    sprrdhawk44,
    thanks for the advice and i have another question since your an instructor,I'm cross eye dominant,i don't have to any problems with pistols i just use both eyes open,but haven't shot many rifles but have recently acquired some so should i just shoot left handed or is it worth it trying to train my right eye,hearing conflicting advice even to just lean head over more to use left eye on sight,what ya think?
    That depends on the individual. How dominant is your left eye?
    I'm left eye dominant but shoot right handed using my right eye, there isn't a huge difference for me. My dad learned to shoot left handed, it's the only way he can do it, and he wins competitions and gets long range woodchucks. (I mean real long range, beyond 1000 yards). I know other guys who shoot right but use their left eye, it looks awkward but works well for them. There is no "right" way to do it other than whatever works best for YOU.
    Try it all and find your own best solution. If you're lucky you'll get good at shooting more than one way.

I don't have a short temper, I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast