Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default ATI Titan Guide Rod/Recoil Spring/Recoil Spring Plug (Fix Info)

I bought an ATI Titan (used), and really like the gun. Unfortunately, my Titan, like others I've read about, suffered from a few issues. The most common (it seems) is associated with the recoil spring guide rod, and the way that ATI chose to attach the guide rod back plate to the guide rod (with a screw). The ATI Titan guide rod is on the left in this photo:

Thanks to TomWalshCo (from 1911 forum for the pic and info):
    http://forums.1911forum.com/showpost...1&postcount=11

In my case, not only was the guide rod/spring assy a pain to remove, but the back plate cracked. In fact, so too did the guide rod plug (bushing).
    I initially contacted ATI, spoke with a helpful/nice Tech, who sent me a few replacement parts. I thought he and I were on the same page during the phone call, but the parts I received were incorrect. I was planning to contact him again, and email him some photos, but I thought, even if I get the right parts, they're probably going to be the same failure prone parts.

Instead, I ordered this from Kimber:

It can be found here:
    http://store.kimberamerica.com/Produ...4/Default.aspx

or here:

http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/768...tainless-steel

This includes a guide rod plug that though different in length, still seats/fits perfectly. It's perfectly flush, as it should be, from the muzzle end of the gun, and though it extends a bit further into the slide, it mates with the included Kimber guide rod/spring assy perfectly.

This part addressed three issues for me. The guide rod plug/bushing, the cracked recoil spring back plate, and of course now, there's also no chance of the screw backing out of the guide rod (another issue others have reported).

Yes, I could have persisted with ATI, and I'm quite sure they would have ultimately sent me the correct parts (free, as the gun's with warranty). And, yes, I spent nearly $50 on the Kimber part above. But, it was a plug and play replacement part, and it's of better quality.

Your mileage may vary. I am not encouraging anyone to replace the parts in their ATI Titan, "just because". The gun doesn't run any better with these parts. It works just as it did. The recoil spring tension feels about the same, the slide locks back after the last round, no feed, fire or eject issues. No issues of any kind. But again, if the original parts work, this won't make it any better. If you do decide to go with this part, think carefully before you spend your money. I have no data or long term experience with this part yet, so I don't want to see anyone feel they ordered a part, and got hosed. It works well for me, and I offer this only as a suggestion.

I posted this here, in the event someone does have similar problems, and wants what so far, for me, appears to be a quick, drop-in solution. I've seen other posts that reference the Colt Defender spring/guide rod assy. I haven't tried it, but AFAIK, that part does not include the plug/bushing.
    Last edited by marks; October 21st, 2011 at 05:43 AM.
    "I don't care what went wrong. I beat the snot out of it until it works" - Clint Smith

(Beaver County)

Default Re: ATI Titan Guide Rod/Recoil Spring/Recoil Spring Plug (Fix Info)

Thanks for this info! I just bought a Titan and even though I have yet to shoot it, I'm glad I have a known issue to look for and a potential solution. I may just get one anyone for spare parts.

Hello, this is my first post and would like to say thank you for sharing this information. I have owned a Titan for about 6 months. I was currently on my third guide rod, 5th bushing, and several replacement recoil springs to include wolf springs for the defender as well as colt defender springs. They do not work in the Titan. Using any recoil spring for the colt defender will only acomplish one thing, a broken bushing. The defender recoil springs while stiffer than stock will not allow full compression. This results in excess pressure on the front bushing and it will crack. The stock recoil spring does work however it wears out extremely fast. I was experiencing failures to feed where the slide would not fully close and that was with 230 grain ball ammo. A slight tap on the back of the slide would put it into battery. The Kimber assembly 100% cured all of the problems. It is not a direct drop in fit though. The bushing for the Kimber is completely round and the Titans bushing has a cut out in it to seat flush against the frame. This cut out takes about 10 minutes with a dremel. After making the cut it fits in the Titan as if it was made for it. Needles to say it looks 100% better as the front of the Titan looks finished. After 200 rounds with the Kimber assembly there have been 0 issues. In my opinion it is the best 50 bucks you can spend on the gun. Thanks again for the info.

(Chester County)

Marks, how is this "mod" working for you in the ATI? I ask because I am looking into picking up a Titan myself and would like to hear if this has been successful for you. I just like to know as much of the tips & tricks about any particular gun I am thinking about buying.

Also, it helps to know any potential problem areas to look out for especially is buying a used weapon.
    If you're not outraged & disgusted, you are simply not paying atttention

I bought this gun about 3 years ago and it has really been a great gun. On July 15, 2013 it saved my life and my clients. I feel naked if I happen to leave it on my nightstand. I even mow my yard and take it to the bathroom with me. It has the most fantastic trigger I have ever touched on a 1911 including my Auto Ordnance Government Model. So far no problems with the guide rod or recoil spring, but I have thought of replacing it. Just wished you could find a full length one to replace it with.

Quote Originally Posted by virtualvictum View Post
    Hello, this is my first post and would like to say thank you for sharing this information. I have owned a Titan for about 6 months. I was currently on my third guide rod, 5th bushing, and several replacement recoil springs to include wolf springs for the defender as well as colt defender springs. They do not work in the Titan. Using any recoil spring for the colt defender will only acomplish one thing, a broken bushing. The defender recoil springs while stiffer than stock will not allow full compression. This results in excess pressure on the front bushing and it will crack. The stock recoil spring does work however it wears out extremely fast. I was experiencing failures to feed where the slide would not fully close and that was with 230 grain ball ammo. A slight tap on the back of the slide would put it into battery. The Kimber assembly 100% cured all of the problems. It is not a direct drop in fit though. The bushing for the Kimber is completely round and the Titans bushing has a cut out in it to seat flush against the frame. This cut out takes about 10 minutes with a dremel. After making the cut it fits in the Titan as if it was made for it. Needles to say it looks 100% better as the front of the Titan looks finished. After 200 rounds with the Kimber assembly there have been 0 issues. In my opinion it is the best 50 bucks you can spend on the gun. Thanks again for the info.
    Do you have photos of the cut you made to fit the ATI titan?
    wtkeller@gmail.com
    Thanks

(Monroe County)

So many one post wonders.

Way to necro thread.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Rosco the Iroc View Post
    So many one post wonders.

Way to necro thread.
    Just not a chatty person. Said what I wanted. I have run about 250 rounds through my Titan and not a single hiccup or broken part. Maybe I have the one gun not meant to give trouble. It is as strong and true now as the day I bought it. Three times in the last 3 years I have had to pull it to protect myself. The most recent was a road rage incident.

(Bucks County)

If you had to pull it that often, sounds like you should definitely get the Kimber change!

WTF are you people talking about? All I want to know is how to fit the Kimber reverse plug to fit the ATI Titan?