Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default New to PAFOA, moving to Pittsburgh

Hello PAFOA Allegheny members,

I’ll be returning to Pittsburgh sometime this winter after a 4 year stint in the DC area. I’m currently active on the Virginia analog of PAFOA, VAGunTrader.com, and would like to get established here on PAFOA in advance of my move back to the ‘Burgh.

Due to the nature of the DC area, I only get to shoot about once a month out here, and will be looking to join a club sometime in the spring, but as of yet I’ve only just begun evaluating the various options within an hour of downtown Pittsburgh.

I’m a fairly community-oriented and active person who strives to be an asset wherever I’m at, thus making a decision on where to invest my time and money will probably take a few visits. I understand that PMSC is the one of the most popular clubs in the area, and the location will be hard to beat, but if anyone has any suggestions for other locations to check out, I’d love to hear from them.

I’m especially looking for a club with good and reasonable guest policies as I invest a fair amount of time doing 2A outreach to coworkers and friends who otherwise might never shoot due to their political or circumstances or fears of the unknown.

Here's a pic of one of my firearms, just for fun.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: New to PAFOA, moving to Pittsburgh

Welcome. I'm a member of PMSC and without a dout it's the best club within an hour from Pgh.

I have been out of Pittsburgh for quite a while, but still consider it "home". PMSC is a nice club. I have been there a few times. I belonged to Clairton when I still lived there. It was a nice club 12 years ago but has changed a bit. So, "welcome home". Oh, is your photo of an Iver Johnson M1 Carbine in .22?
    Jules

(Allegheny County)

Welcome! The husband and I are members at PMSC and love it. Great facilities and activities.

(Allegheny County)

Welcome back,

My wife and I are members at Collier Sportsmen's Club - nothing fancy, but it is very close to us and we are able to practice our drills without problems a couple of times each month.

We are also going to start up a monthly defensive practice session with a group of friends of ours at A&S Indoor Range in Youngwood this fall.

While not a member, from everything that I have read/heard/and seen PMSC is the most "progressive" club in the area though.

Otto
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

(Allegheny County)

Welcome to the forum!

PMSC is a great club. Not sure offhand what the specific rules are in regards to guests, but as I recall, you can only bring the same person "x" amount of times. The thinking is that if that same person is repeatedly "visiting", maybe they would benefit from a membership. Makes sense.

Don't be afraid to ask questions and feel free to join in the forum discussions!
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Allegheny County)

have you heard of this place called PMSC ?

welcome.

(Allegheny County)

Welcome, once your done checking out PMSC (i'm also a Member there), I can help feed your Firearms Needs. Stop on down to Ace Sporting Goods in Washington PA, and ask for Chris S. we have the Largest Selection of Firearms in Western PA.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

(Allegheny County)

Welcome back to the area! I just recently joined Coraopolis District Sportsmens Club in Coraopolis and I have to say its been great so far. Definitely the closest to the city, save ACRC, but I've heard the wait time is over a year currently.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by arjohnson View Post
    Welcome. I'm a member of PMSC and without a dout it's the best club within an hour from Pgh.
    Thanks ARJohnson. It's currently at the top of the list though I've heard some chatter that they'll begin limiting membership at some point in the future. If that's true, I may not make it in time. My move date is still up in the air and with all the stuff involved in an interstate move and buying a house my wife would probably kill me if she caught wind that I'm prioritizing and spending time scouting clubs instead of looking for a house haha!

Quote Originally Posted by ar15jules View Post
    I have been out of Pittsburgh for quite a while, but still consider it "home". PMSC is a nice club. I have been there a few times. I belonged to Clairton when I still lived there. It was a nice club 12 years ago but has changed a bit. So, "welcome home". Oh, is your photo of an Iver Johnson M1 Carbine in .22?
    Jules
    Thanks for the welcome. The carbine is a 10/22 with a blonde M1 clone stock, M1 sling, .243 shell instead of oiler until I can get a wood shop put together and make an M1 oiler fit properly, and it's using Tech-Sights. It's got a few internals upgrades as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Annie Oakley View Post
    Welcome! The husband and I are members at PMSC and love it. Great facilities and activities.
    Good to hear! Checked out your website and blog, cool stuff, you seem like a pretty good shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Orive 8 View Post
    Welcome back,

My wife and I are members at Collier Sportsmen's Club - nothing fancy, but it is very close to us and we are able to practice our drills without problems a couple of times each month.

We are also going to start up a monthly defensive practice session with a group of friends of ours at A&S Indoor Range in Youngwood this fall.

While not a member, from everything that I have read/heard/and seen PMSC is the most "progressive" club in the area though.

Otto
    Thanks for the welcome. Collier doesn't look too far away either. I used to live in Robinson, but I'll probably be in the city this time around. What do you mean about PMSC being "progressive"?

Quote Originally Posted by renegadephoenix View Post
    Welcome, once your done checking out PMSC (i'm also a Member there), I can help feed your Firearms Needs. Stop on down to Ace Sporting Goods in Washington PA, and ask for Chris S. we have the Largest Selection of Firearms in Western PA.
    I'm always game to check out another shop. So far I've only been to Braverman due to the close proximity to Point Breeze, my last apartment before the move to DC.

Quote Originally Posted by NAV3 View Post
    Welcome back to the area! I just recently joined Coraopolis District Sportsmens Club in Coraopolis and I have to say its been great so far. Definitely the closest to the city, save ACRC, but I've heard the wait time is over a year currently.
    I'll have to check that one out too.

Thanks everyone!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast