Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Glock 23 vs M&P compact .40

I'm looking for a new compact .40 for myself. It will have multiple uses. I have yet to meet anyone at the range that owns an M&P, tons of Glocks everywhere, I myself own a G29. So how do you all think that the M&P compact .40 stands up to the G23?

Default Re: Glock 23 vs M&P compact .40

I have a Glock 21 and a Glock 30 currently. I have owned a 23 and several 27s. I have large hands. I don't know if that plays into it or not, but the M and P pistols are ergonomically superior to the Glock in my opinion. It doesn't bother me enough to get into a new platform. That may be something to consider if you are going to keep your current Glock. The M and P is also striker fired and does have a bit of a different feel than the Glock. They essentially work the same and while they are different, I can't say that I prefer one over the other. I have heard it argued that "You don't have to dry fire the M and P to field strip it". OK, but you are still going to check it, then check it twice, so that is a moot point as far as I am concerned. I say you are good with either choice, but ultimately it is up to you. I might suggest that you try to get your hands on one before you make a decision.
    Jules

(Cumberland County)

Cool Re: Glock 23 vs M&P compact .40

quality seems to be compatible although the glocks have been around longer. ergonomics as we all know is subjective to each individual,s preferences and has nothing to do with quality. which one feels best in your hand and instinct points the best for you? this should be your starting point and the next step is to shoot them. after this is done you can make a informed decision that works best for you. this is coming from a glock guy even so i have no bad thoughts on the m&p.

I tell people all the time about the G23. Finest CC gun ever made, hands down.

(Lackawanna County)

I personally own a Compact M&P chambered in .357 Sig. I bought a .40 barrel to shoot 40 at the range cuz it is a little bit cheaper. I carry this weapon all the time and I love it. I have a lot of rounds thru it and have never had a jamb or a misfire. Also I shoot ultramax reloaded ammo. If you were in the area of NEPA shoot me a PM id meet u at the range so u can try it.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by RBELARDI View Post
    I personally own a Compact M&P chambered in .357 Sig. I bought a .40 barrel to shoot 40 at the range cuz it is a little bit cheaper. I carry this weapon all the time and I love it. I have a lot of rounds thru it and have never had a jamb or a misfire. Also I shoot ultramax reloaded ammo. If you were in the area of NEPA shoot me a PM id meet u at the range so u can try it.

Rob
    Aside from all the bullshit on here, this is why I still frequent this forum. Gun minded people helping other gun minded people! These kind of posts were the majority in 2007.
    Jules

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tech View Post
    I'm looking for a new compact .40 for myself. It will have multiple uses. I have yet to meet anyone at the range that owns an M&P, tons of Glocks everywhere, I myself own a G29. So how do you all think that the M&P compact .40 stands up to the G23?
    The M&P was designed from the ground up as a .40, the Glock was not. If I had to shoot .40 for some reason I would choose the M&P, they are much easier to handle.
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by ar15jules View Post
    Aside from all the bullshit on here, this is why I still frequent this forum. Gun minded people helping other gun minded people! These kind of posts were the majority in 2007.
    Jules
    If im able to help someone make a $500 decision as easy as letting them shoot one of my weapons, id be happy to do it. I have had weapons that I wish I was able to fire before dropping 500-700 on that I hated once I bought it and ended up loosing $$$ when I sold it.

Rob

(Philadelphia County)

Thanks for all of the posts everyone, I am just going to see if I can rent an M&P before making my decision. Over the years I have squeezed off about a thousand of rounds through G23s, but I'm trying to mix things up a bit. I recently bought a G29, which I must say is an outrageously awesome gun, and surprisingly the recoil is not all that much for a full power 10mm chambered pistol. The only brand I haven't gotten into much is S&W, for no particular reason other than coincidence. I'm going to try and hit the ranges today, hopefully at least one will have an M&P in .40 for rent. I'll make my decision by the end of this week, this will be my last purchase for a couple of months, I've been increasing my collection frequently lately. Thanks for the posts again, I'll be back with an update soon.

(Allegheny County)

i have both and really like both pistols, the M&P is, IMHO a superior handgun. I have carried the g23 as a duty weapon both in and out of uniform and as a ccw piece and it's a good, solid pistol. Tm&p is also a good solid pistol. i would give the mechanical edge to the M&P but just by a slight bit.

being able to fit the pistol to your particular hand is a great advantage!
    MORDENTE MEUM

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast