Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default First glock ... Need night sight advice

So i just picked up my first glock. It is a Glock 23. I got a great deal on it because it was "used" but definitely never fired.

Anyway, i dont like the plastic guide rod at all...and i would rather not wait for it to break to look for a replacement.

Which metal guide rod should i get? Links are greatly appreciated.

Also, what spring should i change/order with the guide rod?

I will be shooting mostly stock 165 gr and 180 gr fmj's if that matters. Probably carry some gold dots or pdx1 ammo for sd. (is thAt matters at all)
    Last edited by jachrist; October 20th, 2011 at 02:01 PM.
    The Beauty of the 2nd Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.

Default Re: First glock ... Need guiderod advice

If I may, why don't you shoot it some before you change anything. You may not like how it shoots. Putting a metal guide rod in it won't get anymore money for it if you sell it. As a number of people said in another post, Glocks been using them for a while and they rarely break. You have to be super hard on the pistol just to even put a strain on it, if it even gets strained at all. I would presume that the heat would affect it more than anything, but like I say, you have to be hard on it. 300 rounds in an hour is not hard on a Glock. All the guide rod does is keep the spring in place and keeps the kinks out.

Editing: I have yet to see a broken guide rod from a Glock. I am not saying it doesn't happen, but I see a lot of them and never seen one broken.
    Last edited by harold63; October 20th, 2011 at 12:47 AM.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

Quote Originally Posted by jachrist View Post
    So i just picked up my first glock. It is a Glock 23. I got a great deal on it because it was "used" but definitely never fired.

Anyway, i dont like the plastic guide rod at all...and i would rather not wait for it to break to look for a replacement.

I will be shooting mostly stock 165 gr and 180 gr fmj's if that matters. Probably carry some gold dots or pdx1 ammo for sd. (is thAt matters at all)
    Take the guide rod out and look at the round plastic end. If it is marked with a "1", then the rod is actually a glass filled polymer and should last you thousands of rounds. The spring will wear out before the rod breaks. Just an FYI.
    Jules

(Monroe County)

op you dont have to change the guide rod completely, there is a company that makes a steel rod that you insert into the the front of the current plastic rod. Most Gun shops carry them for about $4 a piece i have them for all my Glocks except my 26 which doesnt need one.

Check it out.

If the gun is practically new you dont need no new springs for it , but Wollf makes a Rod/sprink kit for your Glock , see them at www.gunsprings.com

Leave it alone. Stop buying into internet folk lure. Sure the plastic may be inferior to metal but it is more than sufficient for its application as a recoil rod. The mags and frame are plastic, so you gonna change them out to metal too?

Bridges made of plastic is a bad idea, there is a reason why it is made of steel. Your car interior is made of plastic, are you going to change that to metal?

Beretta went to plastic triggers, safety, and recoil rods too.

Spend your money on ammo and range time. You arent going to break it unless you plan on dropping your Glock out of an airplane or pistol whipping an entire football team.

(Allegheny County)

I don't understand the question. Should I be concerned about the frame on my Glock? Should I replace it with a metal one?

That's not really "advice", and I'm no Glock worshiper/fan/follower, but I'm pretty sure I've heard a lot more reports of kabooms in Glocks than guide rod failures. I tend to be more of a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" guy though, so...

ETA: Looks like we were posting the same thing at the same time! ^^^ LOL
    Last edited by Emptymag; October 20th, 2011 at 12:50 AM.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    I tend to be more of a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" guy though, so...
    I work for WM and have tried this approach with them for years. Maybe you could give um a call...

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    I don't understand the question. Should I be concerned about the frame on my Glock? Should I replace it with a metal one?

That's not really "advice", and I'm no Glock worshiper/fan/follower, but I'm pretty sure I've heard a lot more reports of kabooms in Glocks than guide rod failures. I tend to be more of a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" guy though, so...
    Older subcompacts had some issues with their two part assembly. It has been remedied by Glock. Like I posted above, a number "1" stamped on the end indicates a stronger, new version polymer rod filled with glass. I will reiterate that the spring will wear out before the actual rod. Replace the unit for 20 bucks when the spring shits the bed and be done.
    Jules
    Last edited by ar15jules; October 20th, 2011 at 12:54 AM. Reason: spelling

Just popped the slide off of one of my G21's and the guide rod barely even has a mark on it. It has definitely been shot a few times.

I think at most, you may feel a little difference in recoil, but I would suspect it will be minimal.
    Last edited by harold63; October 20th, 2011 at 01:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jachrist View Post
    So i just picked up my first glock. It is a Glock 23. I got a great deal on it because it was "used" but definitely never fired. If its never been fired you should have no worries about breakage

If it aint broke dont fix it.

Original owner probably traded it after 50 rounds for a 19 after realizing .40S&W sucks. Here comes the flamejob. Hah
    Last edited by brownman; October 20th, 2011 at 02:31 AM.
    and to the dust you shall return

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast