Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default 1858 Remington from cabelas

Just bought a Pietta 1858 remington from cabelas. No reason... Just looked cool and i decided to get it for $179. Does anyone have any experience with any of the Pietta revolvers? I hear good things. Cant wait til it gets here!

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: 1858 Remington from cabelas

Quote Originally Posted by elementfreak431 View Post
    Just bought a Pietta 1858 remington from cabelas. No reason... Just looked cool and i decided to get it for $179. Does anyone have any experience with any of the Pietta revolvers? I hear good things. Cant wait til it gets here!
    Is that a cap and ball one or one using the frame but modern internal shooting methods?

(Jefferson County)

I have a 1851 Navy made by Pietta. Its works great.

The 1858 is a beefier gun and can handle hotter loads that the 1851 design. Keep BP loads at 30grs or less though. Also, remember that BP and its substitutes is measured in volume - not weight.

Just remember to tilt the gun as you recock it after firing. ...you do it so the old fired caps don't fall down into the action.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by gfanikf View Post
    Is that a cap and ball one or one using the frame but modern internal shooting methods?
    Its cap and ball, so its getting sent straight to my door. Im thinking of getting a kirst konverter for it. Im not sure which caliber though. The ones I'm interested in are 45LC 45ACP and 22LR

(Montgomery County)

Its cap and ball, so its getting sent straight to my door. Im thinking of getting a kirst konverter for it. Im not sure which caliber though. The ones I'm interested in are 45LC 45ACP and 22LR
    Ah cool. I'd love to try black powder as its cheaper to start out with, but I have a feeling its not something a beginners tries out till much later in his shooting.

(Chester County)

It sure looks like a lot of fun. I think I've been bit by the black powder bug... And it all started with a miniature black powder cannon....

They are a lot of fun to shoot and not that bad to clean. Just use hot water and dish soap, then bake it at about 200 degrees until dry.

If it is a steel frame you can use the 45 colt cylinder but have to stay in the light cowboy loads. The hotter loads like like regular .45 acp and 45 colt will stretch the frame.(don't ask) If it is a brass frame do not even use full steam BP loads, they will have recommended loads in the manual.

Have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Courage is being scared to death--but saddling up any way. John Wayne

(Chester County)

I got the steel framed one. At first, I did buy the brass frame but when I heard about it stretching I sent it right back for an exchange. It should be here by the 27th!

(Chester County)

(Lancaster County)

I have three. I've shot 1000's of rounds. Used them in Cowboy Shoots. Lots of fun, easily on paper at 25 yards. Just follow loading and cleaning advice above. They are very reliable. I liked using felt wassup between the powder and ball, seemed to help swab bore and reduce cleaning during shoots, although I did tend to swab bore, clean cylinder and such every couple cylinders.
    Black powder is dirty and tends to gum things up.
    They are a blast!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast