Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Let's Talk Glocks

So I've been thinking about Glocks. I have to say holding them, I really did like how light the Glock was, it was weird in a way. My wife (yes I got her to go along to Classic Pistol) liked the Glock more. She's "still don't want a gun in house" blah blah, but she's coming along, and it's more a complaint than a demand though, and I did get her to hold the Glock, Baretta, and Remington 1911. She figured since the ammo's cheaper, I'm more familiar with 9mm and it's really easy (though the guy at the store had trouble) to disassemble and clean with few parts. It seems like a good learning handgun. I have to get over the look of it, but aesthetic issues can only go so far I guess.

Now my question is which Glock to get, there are a ton of types with different revisions. It's like Apple products. lol

http://www.glock.com/downloads/GLOCK_en.pdf

As a preference I really don't want a compact gun, but a full size one.

Default Re: Let's Talk Glocks

You're correct. Glocks are a bit lacking in the aesthetics department. They are a good, solid, dependable handgun though. Since you're thinking 9mm, I'd say G17 for a fullsize gun or G19 for something a bit more concealable. The G19 is a nice size. It's small enough to conceal, but still large enough to handle comfortably.

After you get it, buy lots of ammo & invest in a training class for you & your wife. The cost of the training class will be money well spent.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Wyoming County)

I'm not a glock guy so I have no advice...BUT...I'm glad to see the pendelum with your wife is starting to swing towards the positive a wee bit

(Allegheny County)

The Glock 19 - the one Glock that everyone should have

Good luck with your choice.
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

What do you plan on doing with it? Range, CCW, HD, all three?

How often would you be shooting?

You need practice with the weapon and will require range time. So ammo cost must figure in. Can you afford the price difference between the 9, 40, or 45?

(Lancaster County)

I have a 19 and a 26 and carry them interchangeably most of the time in the same holsters. I've had them both for 10 years and have never had a single issue with either one.

The 26 is easier to conceal because it's smaller, but I don't have a problem concealing the 19 as long as I dress appropriately.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

Quote Originally Posted by gfanikf View Post
    As a preference I really don't want a compact gun, but a full size one.
    I, personally, would get the G19 -- what Glock calls the "compact" model, but which is large enough to be a duty pistol. It'll do nicely on nightstand duty and will also work well as a carry pistol if you go down that road.

As far as aesthetics, consider it this way: When you hear the window breaking at 3AM, it's going to look like the prom queen sitting on your nightstand. For what it's worth, my first pistol was a G19. I still own it. It's a great gun. It's not a "learning gun", it's a serious firearm that was developed to be functional, not pretty -- and functional it is, in spades. There's no law saying you can't own more than one gun, you know. Buy a pretty range gun later!

For CC purposes, I chose the Glock 26 based on the fact it can carry 10 in the mag and the reliability. I have had her for about a month and have put though about 1000 rds, from various manufacturers through her and she has performed flawlessly. Again, the 26 is strictly for CC. If you plan on CCing in the future I would highly recommend the 26 or 27 even though it is a little wide IWB.

(Lackawanna County)

I would get the Glock 19. We had one, but sold it, because it was just easier to part with a Glock than a 1911. That's not to say I didn't like shooting it, I just didn't carry it, and neither did my boyfriend. I'm not the best shooter in the world, but I was pretty damn good with the Glock. We'll get another one eventually, I'm sure.

(Pike County)

Don't forget to check out the M&P line from Smith and Wesson before making your final decision. It does everything the Glock does but it feels better in your hands (Replaceable back straps makes for comfortable shooting for you and your wife) and it's American designed/built unlike the Glock.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast