Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
    (Luzerne County)

Default Re: Open Carry vs. Concealed Carry ~ A paper by Garry E. Harvey

Quote Originally Posted by RobW View Post
    There is no absolute right or wrong; I'm with Cole. For every person I've spoken to on this issue that agreed with OC I've heard ten people say "it is more likely to solidify opposition to ALL carry" and I tend to agree (and I'm talking about gun people, those already on OUR side) . The last thing we want, IMHO, is getting the soccer moms all up in arms because "you don't even need a license to carry in this state". The next 8 years are likely to be bad enough without painting a bullseye on ourselves. ...
    So when do you predict this will come to fruition? As on OC'er I have seen net effect exactly the opposite.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Armstrong County)

There is no absolute right or wrong; I'm with Cole. For every person I've spoken to on this issue that agreed with OC I've heard ten people say "it is more likely to solidify opposition to ALL carry" and I tend to agree (and I'm talking about gun people, those already on OUR side) . The last thing we want, IMHO, is getting the soccer moms all up in arms because "you don't even need a license to carry in this state". The next 8 years are likely to be bad enough without painting a bullseye on ourselves. Analogies about multi-tools and box cutters miss the point - some people have a very emotional response to firearms.
    Just my .02
    --Rob W.
    So, we should just go a long to get a long.
    If my memory and history serves me correctly the Founding Fathers laid their fortunes, asses and comfort on the line to ensure our freedoms. If you read the Federalist papers the 2nd Amendment was not put in place to protect “hunters”. It was put in place as a reset button for the Constitution. It is the only Right that has the threat of force against an over reaching government

This is the problem the “firearm owners’ and most of the other Sheeple are afraid to step out of their comfort zone to really stand up for their Rights. ‘Firearm owners” keep saying they will never take my guns because I don’t own any EBR’s, machine guns, or “I’m a hunter and these laws they are making don’t affect me”
    Look at England or Australia and what has happened over there. Think it can’t happen here? I got news for you England took years to get to where they are now because of complacency or being afraid to offend anyone.
    I have learned over the years that a lot of firearm owners are like the sheeple we like to make fun of. As long as they condone a use like trap, sporting clays, hunting, target shooting or competition it is ok with them. The moment you say CC/OC or Self Defense they think Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad because it doesn’t fit into their agenda. At several gun clubs I belong to it’s always the Trap guys against the IPSC or High Power guys. These were the same guys that supported the “Assault Weapons Ban” because they didn’t understand why anyone would want an ugly gun like that compared to their elegant shotguns. Then all of a sudden some of their elegant shotguns were under fire to be included. It didn’t take them long to change their minds.
    I have rewritten the Constitution to make you “FEEL BETTER”

U.S. Bill of Rights Amendment II to the Constitution of the United States
    A well regulated Militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms (except Machine Guns, Bad looking rifles, Pistols that hold more then 10 rounds, and other scary looking firearms) shall not be infringed. (except who we, The GODvernment designate as acceptable to Open Carry, Conceal Carry, or who we designate are Legally allowed to even own).

Pennsylvania Constitution Section 21
    The right of the citizens to bear arms (except Machine Guns, Bad looking rifles, Pistols that hold more then 10 rounds and other scary looking firearms) in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned (except who we, The GODvernment designate as acceptable to Open Carry, Conceal Carry, or who we designate are Legally allowed to even own).

Go right ahead and stick your head in the sand
    Soon you or/and your children will reap the benefits to your complacency and go a long to get a long altitude.
    As for me I’ll stand up for my Rights and if the sheeple don’t like tough shit.
    If someone is offended by my Open Carrying to bad, I’m offended by them exercising their right to the 1st Amendment.
    Just my 2˘
    Ed
    FeedBack: https://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.p...ight=edstephan
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3790&dateline=1331561  797An OathKeeper and OC Activist, 1 of the 3%, Ed Stephan

There is no absolute right or wrong; I'm with Cole. For every person I've spoken to on this issue that agreed with OC I've heard ten people say "it is more likely to solidify opposition to ALL carry" and I tend to agree (and I'm talking about gun people, those already on OUR side) . The last thing we want, IMHO, is getting the soccer moms all up in arms because "you don't even need a license to carry in this state". The next 8 years are likely to be bad enough without painting a bullseye on ourselves. Analogies about multi-tools and box cutters miss the point - some people have a very emotional response to firearms.

Just my .02

--Rob W.
    First- I thought someone had bumped this because of the original article, which is a very good read and I'm glad that it was bumped just so I could have that experience.

But then I read this one and see that it is the close mindedness of another anti gun rights person masquerading as a proponent of CC only. Which by the way isn't a right but a regulated privilege. The best he can come up with is we are in fear of losing our privilege become some are exercising their rights. Not being able to show any legislation being introduced to back up his claim he looks into his crystal ball and sees nothing but bad coming from this.

First I'd direct you , sir, to Opencarry.org for a list of all the legislation that is being introduced in states that currently don't recognize this right. This legislation is before the states because of the work of people here in PA and in VA. The normalizing and desensitizing of the general public by OC is having a positive effect. As more people see guns and people not being assaulted the more they come to accept that it is a good thing.

So we see that just the opposite occurring then his fear and crystal ball gazing. OC is gaining momentum and it's not fear that is driving it. What most of us have experienced in our personal lives is that anyone with interest will simply ask why we carry. Finding out that we are allowed to protect and defend ourselves has for the most part been an eye opening revelation to those who didn't know it was legal. With all the crime going on more and more people are looking for alternative to a system that isn't working.Along with this we see that many police officers understand our desire to live and think it's great because they can't protect everybody.

And the fears we hear from those who think we will lose our privilege are the same thing we heard when the 'shall issue' movement happened a decade ago. They said that carrying guns was bad and the street would be flowing with blood. It took some time for the politicians to come around. But when you can show them statistics that run contrary to what some people think then they are left with little but to change their minds.

The fear mongering of losing something didn't work for the anti gun crowd then and it's not working now. For all the brainwashing from the media and those who derive their control by scaring the populous, we see grassroots movement proving time and again that it's not the tool but the person using the tool that makes a difference. The media goes out of it's way to sensationalize when someone gets killed but seldom covers when someone lives from carrying.

Even the story of my friend, who just this week defended himself from an armed robbery, was shunned by the local paper. They even had their own commentary after receiving so many people writing in thanking him for standing up to crime. What they suggested was to not defend yourself but to bend over and take it like a man. They are so out of touch with reality that they think that just giving the criminal what they want that the criminal will have a change of heart and do you or others no further harm. When what they suggested actually enables and encourages the criminal to do it even more often and with more force.
    Last edited by stephpd; November 29th, 2008 at 03:09 PM.

VMJade
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by stephpd View Post
    But then I read this one and see that it is the close mindedness of another anti gun rights person masquerading as a proponent of CC only. Which by the way isn't a right but a regulated privilege. The best he can come up with is we are in fear of losing our privilege become some are exercising their rights. Not being able to show any legislation being introduced to back up his claim he looks into his crystal ball and sees nothing but bad coming from this.
    Wow. I had a long reply composed, but deleted it in favor of this:

I do what is important every election cycle. I vote and I contribute. I do not attend OC luncheons, as it isn't my cup of tea. That does not make me the enemy. The enemy hopes you are wrong. I hope you are right!

--RW

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789