Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Dauphin County)

Default FFL-toFFL transfer questions

Friends,

I hope this is not the wrong place to post this; if I missed, please advise.

I am looking at purchasing a handgun from a private party in CO. Since I am not traveling to CO to do this as a F2F transfer, I understand this requires an FFL-to-FFL transfer. The seller's FFL quoted $40 to perform his tasks and ship it here to PA to my FFL.

- What charges might be in that $40? I presume there is some paperwork to be filled out on the CO end, but is there a requirement for some special kind of shipping or can it simply come UPS Ground insured?

- Since the sale technically is taking place in CO, is my FFL obligated to collect PA Sales Tax? Is it based on the sale price printed on the paperwork coming with the gun?

Thanks for any information.
    -gonzo, SoCenPA. "Before all else, be armed." --Niccolo Machiavelli
    http://forum.pafoa.org/feedback-109/...nzogeezer.html

(Northampton County)

Default Re: FFL-toFFL transfer questions

$40 is reasonable for shipping that distance, your FFL will not look to collect tax on the purchase price of the gun, and it will likely ship Fedex next day air. Although FFL's can also use the USPS to ship to other FFL's. I suggest you ask if there is insurance on that shipping, if not, have it added for your own protection.

Two things here.

(1) With very few exceptions (e.g., C&R eligible handguns for a FFL 03 holder and inherited firearms), handguns must be transferred to you at a dealer in your home state. That means even if you were inclined to travel to CO for the deal, you still couldn't take it home with you. It would have to go to an FFL in PA for pick up and transfer.

(2) The fee you pay to the FFL in CO is for shipping and the 10 minutes he spends logging the firearm in his bound book as being received from the seller and shipped to another dealer. He will then ship it to your FFL, where you will have to pay a transfer fee and pass PICS. I believe no taxes are due since you're not buying it from the dealer, but I'm not sure (I'm from Delaware where we don't have sales tax anyway). The transfer fee will run from $20 on the cheap end to $50 or more for shops that don't like doing transfers. Once you pay the transfer fee and pass PICS, take your new acquisition home and have fun.

(Centre County)

The $40 going to the shipping FFL covers:

Paperwork (boundbook entries, addressing package, USPS form if using USPS, etc.)
    Shipping container and packing material (if not using a USPS flat rate box)
    FFL time to pack for shipment
    FFL time to take to shipping location (UPS, FedEx or USPS)

For $40, it is probably going USPS Priority Mail. It will take 2-3 days to get to PA. $30-40 is what I normally charge to ship a gun, depending on what all the shipper wants (insurance, delivery confirmation, etc.)

Your PA FFL cannot charge sales tax as he did not sell the gun

The transfer fee at your PA FFL can be anywhere from $5-$50, he should be able to tell you that up front.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by GonzoGeezer View Post
    Friends,

I hope this is not the wrong place to post this; if I missed, please advise.

I am looking at purchasing a handgun from a private party in CO. Since I am not traveling to CO to do this as a F2F transfer, I understand this requires an FFL-to-FFL transfer. The seller's FFL quoted $40 to perform his tasks and ship it here to PA to my FFL.

- What charges might be in that $40? I presume there is some paperwork to be filled out on the CO end, but is there a requirement for some special kind of shipping or can it simply come UPS Ground insured?

- Since the sale technically is taking place in CO, is my FFL obligated to collect PA Sales Tax? Is it based on the sale price printed on the paperwork coming with the gun?

Thanks for any information.
    That part in bold is a good thing. ...because interstate FTF transfers is illegal under federal law. Handguns require the gun to be transferred at a FFL in the receiving party's home state. Long guns can be transferred at a FFL in any state.

Legally it only requires a FFL on the receiving party's end for handguns. However shipping FFL-to-FFL is often easiest. His $40 fee on the CO is about right. Expect to pay $5 to $50+ on your end. Shop around for a local FFL with the best rate.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Dauphin County)

Friends,

Thank you for the replies and information. I should have remembered the rule about only buying through an in-state FFL; I had no intention of going to CO anyway, certainly not just for a 1911.

Good information, clears things up for me. PAFOA comes through again!

Be Safe out there.

(Lancaster County)

Out of curiosity what 1911 are you buying? There are many in the classifieds here.

(Dauphin County)

I found a LNIB SS Loaded Springer. Still working on final price but it will less than the few similar models in recent classifieds.