Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Fixing a cracked stock

I have an old WWII 98k and the stock is beginning to split down the middle, beginning at just to the rear of the bolt.

What would you guys recommend to repair this? I could simply wood glue it but I want it to be a quality repair that will fix the problem for good and not look sloppy. Should I get a gunsmith to pin it?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Fixing a cracked stock

i did my own, but it was a project gun from dunhams for $124. I used epoxy and a syringe to inject it. I also pinned it with a piece of brass rod that i filed notches in for grip and recessed with a punch. Where the crack was, simply clamping closed it up so it wasn't noticeable. you have to clean the excess epoxy that oozes while clamping when its wet though. And you have to get creative when clamping so you do it effectively and don't dent the wood.

I also repaired a small chunk from the 1 end of the crack with a mix of epoxy and pre-stained wood chips and sawdust. I used the same mixture to fill the hole where the pin was.

I was refinishing the whole stock, so I wasn't worried about sanding the filler smooth. If I wasn't refinishing, I don't think i would have attempted filling the holes, but the crack itself was easy to repair without screwing it up.

If this is an all original matching firearm, i.e. valuable, I would pay someone experienced to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by ham385 View Post
    i did my own, but it was a project gun from dunhams for $124. I used epoxy and a syringe to inject it. I also pinned it with a piece of brass rod that i filed notches in for grip and recessed with a punch. Where the crack was, simply clamping closed it up so it wasn't noticeable. you have to clean the excess epoxy that oozes while clamping when its wet though. And you have to get creative when clamping so you do it effectively and don't dent the wood.

I also repaired a small chunk from the 1 end of the crack with a mix of epoxy and pre-stained wood chips and sawdust. I used the same mixture to fill the hole where the pin was.

I was refinishing the whole stock, so I wasn't worried about sanding the filler smooth. If I wasn't refinishing, I don't think i would have attempted filling the holes, but the crack itself was easy to repair without screwing it up.

If this is an all original matching firearm, i.e. valuable, I would pay someone experienced to do it.
    Its no collectible. Its a beater I bought for reenacting and have slogged through the mud and thrown onto the ground. I just love the weapon and want to keep her looking good and serviceable.

(Montgomery County)

Wood glue can't be used as a gap filler like epoxy can. If you use wood glue it must be clamped tight and some types of wood glue better than others. Epoxy is a good choice. I have found it works best to apply it twice. Let one coating soak into the wood and harden, then fill the crack with a second larger amount and over fill it. Then go back and sand it smooth when its hard. I would avoid gorilla glue. It foams and makes a mess. It holds well, but I think an epoxy would look better and work better. I think it is a type of epoxy, but it foams.

(Lehigh County)

Soldat- sorry I didn't see this earlier. Use Acraglas gel - I've fixed many stocks, car dashboards, you name it and it stays fixed. There's even a small tube of wood - colored stain to get the right color - I've fixed some stocks such that one simply can't tell where they were split, and I'm not that good with these types of things! Use surgical tubing as well- The tubing will strongly hold the parts together and can be tied off- no dents.

(Perry County)

I watched a buddy of mine use epoxy and a hair dryer. He mix the epoxy, smeared it on the crack and hit it with the heat from the hair dryer. The epoxy wicked right into the crack. He then wrapped it with surgical tubing to clamp the wood together.
    He says you have to use the right epoxy or the heat just sets it up rather than making it run. Unfortunately I don't remember what brand/type of epoxy he was using.
    Molon Labe