Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Tell me about T/C Contender/Encores

I am toying with the idea of getting a T/C pistol/rifle chambered in 5.7x28mm (I also have a Five SeveN pistol and am going to buy an AR-57, so it would be neat to have a really nice sporting arm in the same caliber, please don't tell me why you would pick some other caliber instead)

What do i need to know about this platform (i've never owned one), and what i should look for.

Thanks!

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Tell me about T/C Contender/Encores

A contender or an encore is a versatile gun in the aspect that it can be switched from caliber to caliber rather quickly and easily. The early contenders are limited to contender barrels while the encores will take the contender and encore barrels. I am not sure but I think the contender g2 will also take both.

The early contenders had to b broken open to reset the hammer. The newer models and encore does not.

There are barrels for almost any caliber out there including wild cat cartridges.

I have several frames and barrels. I am currently paying on a encore pro hunter in .243. And I have a s&w 500 barrel for it.

When I was a kid they were used for silhouette shooting at some extreme distances.

Any thing specific that you want to know?
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

Well i want to make sure that whatever i get has the maximum amount of flexibility, and can take both the nice wood stocks and the synthetic stocks for actual hunting use, and of course i'll want a nice handgun grip for it too.

What is the "best" of the various models. Is the Contender G2 or the Encore "better"? And why?

Default Versatility, and Db levels of T/C Contender/Encores

I have T/C in .35 Herrett, .45-70, .45C/.410, .22/250, .357M, and .44M. I reload for all of them. @cocking w/o breaking open: why? I do hand-load but my misfire is not likely to be a faulty primer. Hmmmm. L1S1
    "1"starts the Militia; you are not alone but fight as though you are.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Valorius View Post
    What is the "best" of the various models. Is the Contender G2 or the Encore "better"? And why?
    THe encore is the larger heavier frame for high pressure cartridges and contender is the lighter smaller frame. I own an Encore rifle and a contender pistol. The answer to your question is either could be better. I like the contender, but you cannot get a 416 Rigby contender. So whatever you find yourself needing will determine the model you should choose. The only thing i find my self wishing is that I had purchased a prohunter rather than a regular encore. I have yet to find myself in need of an obscure barrel, but they are available for both models. Hope this helps. Also with the pistol and rifle on the same frame you should check the laws in regards to Short Barreled Rifles. You want to be clear as to what is legal and what is not.

(Luzerne County)

Post Re: Tell me about T/C Contender/Encores

There are barrels for almost any caliber out there including wild cat cartridges.
    True. There are about a bazillion barrel/cartridge combinations. The real danger is contracting BAD (Barrel Acquisition Disease).
    In a sense, the Encore is more versatile since it offers the possibility of more powerful chamberings. The trade off is weight; the Encore being heavier - still lighter than a rifle.
    If you plan on using your receiver as both a rifle/carbine and a pistol, you must buy one that has been manufactured as a pistol frame and have it recorded at sale as so. Legally, you can put a longer barrel and a a shoulder stock on to a pistol frame but you cannot legally put a short barrel and a pistol grip onto a rifle frame. It is impossible for someone to tell which combo is which without checking serial numbers but the legalities are as stated.
    Pete

The legality of the pistol to carbine conversion was settled in the Supreme Court in 1992.
    See: http://www.stephenhalbrook.com/tc.html
    Last edited by Pete D.; October 18th, 2011 at 06:34 AM.
    “Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games.”Hemingway ...

Thanks guys, i appreciate it.

So if i want a pistol, i want a Contender G2? Do they make that one in the pro-hunter series? If so, what extra features does that have?

What is the most powerful round that a contender G2 can handle?

Also, if i want to fire .22 WMR through it will that work? I imagine the rimfire and centerfire firing pins are different?
    Last edited by Valorius; October 18th, 2011 at 12:02 PM.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Valorius View Post
    Thanks guys, i appreciate it.

So if i want a pistol, i want a Contender G2? Do they make that one in the pro-hunter series? If so, what extra features does that have?

What is the most powerful round that a contender G2 can handle?

Also, if i want to fire .22 WMR through it will that work? I imagine the rimfire and centerfire firing pins are different?
    What is the most powerful the g2 will take is tough to answer. I have a 45-70 barrel for my contenders. And they seem to keep coming out with new stuff.

The answer to the firing pins would be. The frame will accept Either rim fire or center fire barrels. The is a lever that engages one or the other.

You should check out the thompson site. It is pretty informative.

http://www.tcarms.com/index.php

There are other companies that make barrels for them as well.

(Luzerne County)

My barrels include
    contender
    30 cal herret, 223, 45lc/.410, .357 herret, 45-70

Encore
    .243, s&w .500

Sounds like i want a contender G2.

I really wanted to ask actual owners to get their personal experiences and views on these weapons.

A website can't give that kind of feed back.

Right now i know i want a 5.7x28mm barrel, and beyond that, i haven't really made up my mind yet. I have a couple 9mm handguns, so a 9x19mm barrel would be kinda cool too, an odd bird for sure. And a .22LR barrel i guess.

Will the G2 handle something as powerful as a .30-06?

I see they already offer a 5.7 Contender, B30576 - 5.7x28 FN
    Last edited by Valorius; October 18th, 2011 at 02:01 PM.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast