Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default Attended my 1st Carbine Class

This past Saturday I took the Carbine 1 Class at Lower Providence Gun Club. First, let me say all of the instructors were incredibly helpful and professional. Many thanks to them and for volunteering.

I just purchased my AR-15 a few weeks ago, so needless to say I'm very new to the platform. Before taking the class, I put maybe 100 rounds through the rifle. But I guess the benefit of being a newb is that I haven't had much time to develop bad habits.

There was a lot of information to absorb. Muzzle discipline and overall safe handling of our rifles was paramount obviously. There was an exercise that simulated a misfeed with a dummy round during a 2 shot drill that was the most challenging for me. At one point I grabbed my optics mount, thinking it was the charging handle. Yup, I felt like a dip shit at that point.

At the end of the class the instructors pulled out a steel tree for a bit of fun. We shot in pairs, where the shooter fastest to hit all 3 targets @ 35 yards wins - but the first shot had to hit otherwise you're disqualified. I ended up advancing to the final round, only to get smoked in the end. I think the guy I went up against fired 3 shots (all hits) before I got off my 2nd shot. Baby steps, I suppose.

Overall, it was a great time. Anyone who wants to get into learning how to use a carbine like it should be used should check it out, no matter your experience level. Hell, even if you have the training, it's not too often you get to shoot the amount of rounds we did.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Attended my 1st Carbine Class

Thats great, glad you had a good experience...

Now you can practice some of the same drills at your range...