Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default The Beginning of My Reloading Adventure

I've talked about doing this recently, so for my own benefit (of your input) and the benefit of others (so that they might learn from my mistakes), I am starting this thread as a running AAR for my first forays into learning how to reload.

I decided for certain about 3 months ago that this was something I wanted to seriously pursue. Upon some much respected advice on here, I purchased 2 reloading manuals immeadiately. Below is my take on them in the order I read them.

Lee Reloading Manual - Never have I read a more blatant plug for one's own brand in my life. However, there was alot of very useful information in the beginning on techniques, but even some of these are colored by Richard Lee's desire to push his own product. However, based on my knowledge of the process before, I did find it very helpful. This was first introduction into pressures, the importance of the graduated process in working up loads and it helped me to establish a bit more respect for the material that I would be working with. The data in the back however was nice in that it gave you powder measure by volume rather than just grain wieght. The down side is that it is a bit dated and some of the newer loads like .338LM aren't in it. The book was relatively inexpensive and I got it used off Amazon, so I consider it to be money well spent.

Lyman #49-This is a more up to date loading manual than the Lee and had both the .338LM and the .500S&W data in it (but is by no means exhaustive). I am not finished reading the theory portion of the beginning yet, but I am taking it slower so as to try and find the significant differences between that and the Lee maual.

My next two I plan to purchase are the Sierra Reloading Manual and the Hodgen Data Manual.

I also stopped in and talked to Roger and Kings Shooting Supply down the road from my house last night. He asked me a TON of questions about what kind of shooting I do, in what volume...how many calibers in an affort to help me get matched up with the propper products. We talked at some length about the two different types of loaders, those that shoot to load and those that load to shoot. Seeing as I'm just getting into this, I believe I load to shoot...but if I get bit by the bug...who knows. I have come to the conclusion that if I do this for a couple months and I like it, I'm going to prolly end up getting a Dillon 550, for the volume of .45acp and .30-06 I like to shoot. For now however, I'm content to have a single stage so that I get an in-depth understanding of the process so that I might better be able to trouble-shoot issues later on down the line.

So that's it for now...we'll see what's under the tree and I'll be back when I start setting stuff up.
    Last edited by kiltedguard; December 3rd, 2010 at 10:48 AM.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: The Beginning of My Reloading Adventure

Would recommend that you start with handgun (your .45acp) first. Rifle is a little more complicated since you may have to trim cases, etc.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rainier42 View Post
    Would recommend that you start with handgun (your .45acp) first. Rifle is a little more complicated since you may have to trim cases, etc.
    I was planning on starting with .500S&W Mag simply because I save only about 30 Bucks a box if I start loading my own.

(York County)

Good luck! I was where you are about a year ago. I think I even started my own thread just like this one

YB
    The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.
    Ayn Rand

(Delaware County)

I decided about a month ago to start reloading handgun. Well, I've thought about it for about 6 months.If I had a 500S&W, i'd have already decided I need to reload..lol.
    I never bought a .45 because of ammo prices. Well now I can buy one and afford to shoot it.

I agree with you on the Lee Reloading manual. I only bought it because I bought a Lee Turret press. I don't think his load data is that great, but it gave me some tips on using his equipment. I'll get another manual to go with my Lyman and Lee if I need to. My loading is pretty basic, so what I have works pretty well.
    I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning.[

R.I.P......Murphy.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by kiltedguard View Post
    I was planning on starting with .500S&W Mag simply because I save only about 30 Bucks a box if I start loading my own.
    Still a handgun round so it should be a little easier than rifle. One of the benefits is that you can tailor your loads and tone them down a bit if you like.

Hornady 7th Edition is also a good book to have. When you actually get to the reloading part pay particular attention to the primers you pick up ... I believe the 500S&W Mag uses a plain old Large Rifle primer (and NOT a magnum).

Don't know which range you shoot at but if there are others shooting the 500 and are not picking up there brass, pick it up. Once fired range brass is great and will help you save $$s. You can also find good deals on reloading supplies at:

http://www.wideners.com/

http://www.grafs.com/

Locally:

http://www.kingshooters.com/

Good powder deals (but you pay a Hazmat fee):

http://www.powdervalleyinc.com/

Remember that once you start pay attention to the details and take it slow.

(Delaware County)

I prefer to use a few different load books and then tweak them to fit into my realm. I've got hornady, speer, lyman, etc. reloading books. once I find a load I like, I generally log the data and then just continue to use that load.
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rainier42 View Post
    Still a handgun round so it should be a little easier than rifle. One of the benefits is that you can tailor your loads and tone them down a bit if you like.

Hornady 7th Edition is also a good book to have. When you actually get to the reloading part pay particular attention to the primers you pick up ... I believe the 500S&W Mag uses a plain old Large Rifle primer (and NOT a magnum).

Don't know which range you shoot at but if there are others shooting the 500 and are not picking up there brass, pick it up. Once fired range brass is great and will help you save $$s. You can also find good deals on reloading supplies at:

http://www.wideners.com/

http://www.grafs.com/

Locally:

http://www.kingshooters.com/

Good powder deals (but you pay a Hazmat fee):

http://www.powdervalleyinc.com/

Remember that once you start pay attention to the details and take it slow.
    Thanks. I'll take all that into consideration. With what I save on Hazmat and shipping...I'll just WALK to Kings form my house for alot of that stuff. Wideners seems to be out of alot of stuff. If that's a normal thing, I'm a big fan of reliable suppliers who will have what I need.

(Venango County)

Now you just need to start casting your own handgun bullets. Something I have been doing research on. Mrs says I can't spend any more money just yet though. We will see.
    I'm so fast, I can bump fire a bolt action.

(Blair County)

I am still going to suggest that you pick up a copy of the abcs of reloading. It is all theory and not expensive.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast