Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Best loads for 9mm Luger

I currently use 115 grain Hornady Xtp's w/ 4.2 grains of Titegroup @ a 1.100 Col. Any suggestions on different powder & Col's?

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Default Re: Best loads for 9mm Luger

Please, get the Lyman Reloading Handbook, 49th Edition. It will list powders to satisfy your every need. That is "The Bible", as far as reloading recommendations go.

I, personally, have found excellent results with Accurate #5, with both cast and jacketed bullets in 9mm. And in 40 S&W, as well as 45 ACP and 38 SPL.

There are lots of good powders. Titegroup is one that is just a bit more economical per-round cost than AA5,

Flash
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

(Cumberland County)

i have used bullseye, unique, both are smokey makes cleaning a pain. both meter well and are consistent. just be aware it is easy to double or even triple charge a round because of the small volume of powder used. my new favorite is hp38, meters well is clean burning and gives consistent loads. all of the above are easy to find, inexspensive and give a lot of rounds per pound. the above powders work well in a lot of other pistol calibers as well

(Susquehanna County)

I use Win 231. (HP38) I shoot a plate load as light a charge as will run my guns (4.0 to 4.3 gr.) and everything is sweet! Light recoil, not messy, meters well (ball powder) and I get something like 1500 or 1600 rounds per lb. It's easy to find, and I can load magnum 357 loads with it too. I use the same powder for all my .38 plate loads as well. Plus, there is the slower "recoil arc" which gets you back on target faster than Bullseye or Unique. Some call it "softer recoil". Works for me!
    When seconds count, the police are only minutes away...

(Philadelphia County)

Have you considered Power Pistol powder? Can make very accurate 9mm loads so long as you don't make powder puff loads with it.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pws View Post
    I currently use 115 grain Hornady Xtp's w/ 4.2 grains of Titegroup @ a 1.100 Col. Any suggestions on different powder & Col's?
    Why?

Are you having FTF? FTE?

You may be a bit light on powder. One of my books list 4.1 to 4.5 for titegroup with a 115 jacketed bullet. Another lists 4.5 to 4.8. Hodgdons reloading data center lists 4.5 to 4.8 @ 1.125 for HP's.

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

The best loads are ones that function reliably without a lot of fouling. Hot enough to always cycle the action and mild enough to not beat the slide and frame to death.

(Susquehanna County)

Concerning COAL: I have found that my guns tend to like the longer rounds. Max. length is 1.168. I run mine at 1.160 or more. I know of some who run longer than that and use 38 super mags. The longer COAL keeps pressures down. Experimenting with what your gun likes is part of the fun, but you should be able to start at around 1.140 and go from there. I started at 1.168 and loaded 25 rounds of each length decreasing .010 down to 1.100. Have fun. Be safe!!

(Susquehanna County)

more thoughts! I run mostly 125 gr lead bullets. I have rercently tried 147s because I have read that the recoil impulse is softer, hence, quicker target acquisition.... I think I may switch to the 147s for my plate load. That's the main reason for the OAL experimentation... I think my load was 3.5 gr Win 231, 147gr Berrys plated, 1.155 OAL. Nice shooting load!

(Lebanon County)

my shooter p08 gets fed 125 gr lead loads in front of 8.0 grains of accur #7. oal doesn't seem to matter to it. plenty enough to cycle it, but does not beat it up.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Clearfield County)

I spent some time getting good loads for a 9mm. I tried Bullseye, W235, Unique, Clays, HS-6, AA#5, AA#7, and more I can't remember. Win Super Field (WSF) delivered the best accuracy when measurably tested in the three 9mms I have. The OAL was 1.167. These targets were shot at 50 yards. I hope this helps.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast