Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Starting to reload...

I think I might start to reload since I'm starting to use lots of ammunition in many different calibers. I use 9mm, .38 special, .367 magnum, .223, 5.56mm, 7.62x54r and .22.

I looked over the sticky topic on getting starting, but none of the links work. Which tools do I need to get started, which brands/models do you recommend, how much should I expect to pay for each tool and how much does a reloading set-up cost overall?

Thanks.

(Beaver County)

Default Re: Starting to reload...

There is bit of tools to start. I recommend a single stage kit from rcbs to start out. It will give you the basic main tools you need to start. stuff like a press, powder drop, scale, hand trickler. You'll also need a tumbler and a case trimmer if you plan on doing rifle shells along with a decent dial caliper. I'd figure at least 500-600 would give you just about every basic tool you would need plus a few nifty ones like deburring tools. Lee stuff is a bit cheaper but fit, finish, and function isn't always the best. RCBS is good, Dillon is better but more expensive, and Redding is crazy expensive. Also pic up a few books like ABC's of reloading, the most current Lyman manual or the most current Hornady Manual. Most recipes by powder manufacture are also available online. There is much more info out there and I'm sure others will add to what I said.
    Last edited by DucatiRon; August 19th, 2011 at 01:17 PM.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by DucatiRon View Post
    There is bit of tools to start. I recommend a single stage kit from rcbs to start out. It will give you the basic main tools you need to start. stuff like a press, powder drop, scale, hand trickler. You'll also need a tumbler and a case trimmer if you plan on doing rifle shells along with a decent dial caliper. I'd figure at least 500-600 would give you just about every basic tool you would need plus a few nifty ones like deburring tools. Lee stuff is a bit cheaper but fit, finish, and function isn't always the best. RCBS is good, Dillon is better but more expensive, and Redding is crazy expensive. Also pic up a few books like ABC's of reloading, the most current Lyman manual or the most current Hornady Manual. Most recipes by powder manufacture are also available online. There is much more info out there and I'm sure others will add to what I said.
    How does this look for a first purchase?
    https://shop.rcbs.com/WebConnect/Mai...&route=C04J148

It's an awful lot of money to spend on something that offers absolutely no details or description of the products included, lol.

You want to reload .22

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by P89 View Post
    You want to reload .22
    No. I do not want to reload .22. .22 is a caliber that I use therefor I included it in the listing of amunitions I use. Imagine that.

Good, cause I wanted to come over and watch you struggle trying to reload .22's

The best advise I can give is don't try to out think your reloading manual.

(Beaver County)

Try this.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=646599

Try to do your shopping at MidwayUsa. They got some of the cheapest prices around and best selection.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by DucatiRon View Post
    Try this.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=646599

Try to do your shopping at MidwayUsa. They got some of the cheapest prices around and best selection.
    That's much better. thank you!

(Berks County)

midway has some deals but so does sinclair grafs and midsouth depending on what you want to get look around, loading tools midway is probably your best bet, but when it come to getting bullets and stuff grafs and midsouth shooters has some really good deals, if you spend a couple of bucks and do some paperwork to get your C&R FFL you can get even better deals, my first order I made to midway after getting my FFL paid for my license from the savings you get from having it.

Hold on thar . . . I started with a SS and it was so slowly painful, I had to get a Lee - which many people like - I was not one of them.

Now I have a Hornady LNL AP - which is sweet.

I know everyone will tell you use SS when starting out and I agree; however, you can use a LNL in a SS mode.

Believe me - once you spend an hour to load 75-100 and get used to it, you will be longing for a progressive press.

The kits are OK - but at $300, you may want to look at a progressive.

My LNL is nice - I added a case feeder, have the Giraud trimmer, RCBS ChargeMaster - yep - I went all in on the rig.

You can come to my house, I could give you $50 and I could make that much ammo before you came back with store bought stuff.

Going at a slow pace, I load maybe 300 an hour . . . .

Other thing about kits is - you get some good items with some OK items.

I trimmed 40 rifle cases, looked at them - looked at the 4,000 on the shelf and went right back in and bought a $425 trimmer. I'm old and my hands could never take that sort of abuse.

The trimmer can do 1,000 an hour - it spends 98% of its time on the shelf.

Best advice I can give - is: BUY QUALITY

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast