Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Indiana County)

Default Beretta 92FS Problems

I have a Beretta 92FS and it started having a few problems. The weapon will not always extract the casing after a shot is fired, sometimes it will just stay in the chamber. Also, sometimes when the casing is extracted the next round will not properly feed. I keep the pistol quite clean and even just purchased a new magazine for it (thinking the magazine was the problem)... I also don't shoot limp-wristed--as I know that can cause similar problems.

Any suggestions?

(Lebanon County)

Default Re: Beretta 92FS Problems

how old is the weapon?
    number of rds through it?

weaK/worn extractor spring.
    matbe possible worn/weak main spring.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Allegheny County)

I don't think it'd be a problem with the grip -- the M9 was our service pistol and I believe is the same gun. We had all kinds of folks from all kinds of backgrounds (male/female/pilots/nurses,etc) qualify with the pistol and had few stoppages that I can recall. In general it was an extremely reliable pistol.

I'd probably take it to someone who knows what they're doing (unless the problem was unique to one type of ammo--case tolerances or pressures ?). Maybe an extractor spring or extractor ? Our pistols had alot of rounds on them and seldom had problems, even when not very clean -- I don't recall parts or springs being replaced very frequently. Is it unique to one type of ammo ? Could be recoil spring, but I'd think that would cause more the failure to feed than extract. Can't remember how ejector worked, but maybe you could take a look at that. Also, Does the pin/locking device move freely ?

Good luck.

(Northampton County)

The Beretta 92 and the M9 are the same exact pistol, and limp wristing should not have any or much effect on it's performance. My 92fs did the same thing, and after I replaced the magazines, it did the same thing. All I can say is to put enough rounds through it to give it a thorough break in, and it will be good to go. Also try other brands of ammo, mine is a little fussy.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by mjf View Post
    I have a Beretta 92FS and it started having a few problems. The weapon will not always extract the casing after a shot is fired, sometimes it will just stay in the chamber. Also, sometimes when the casing is extracted the next round will not properly feed. I keep the pistol quite clean and even just purchased a new magazine for it (thinking the magazine was the problem)... I also don't shoot limp-wristed--as I know that can cause similar problems.

Any suggestions?

How old is the pistol? How many rounds have been shot through the pistol?

have you cleaned under the extractor? A lot of junk gets under there which would tend to not allow the extractor to pull the case from the chamber.

What do you mean by "not feeding properly"? Is it double feeding?

(Lehigh County)

i had that with my service pistol. there was actually carbon buildup on the ledge of the extractor. I should note that it was a USMC M9 that prly had about a billion rounds through it. CLP and a toothbrush only do so much.

anywhoo, the carbon buildup was slight, but just enough prevent extraction intermittently. maybe or maybe not your problem. probably more complicated than that, since you say the next round won't feed.

take it to a gunsmith and see if anything will be covered by the manufacturer.

I bought a S&W 9mm years ago for the police academy, and brand new it double fed every time. the gun shop owner claimed there was nothing wrong with it, until I told him what the purchase was for. I exchanged for a new 92fs and had zero problems. The seller put the S&W back in the sale case, however.
    The last thing I want to do is hurt you... but believe me, it's on the damned list.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by PAUL CHAMBERLAIN View Post
    The Beretta 92 and the M9 are the same exact pistol, and limp wristing should not have any or much effect on it's performance. My 92fs did the same thing, and after I replaced the magazines, it did the same thing. All I can say is to put enough rounds through it to give it a thorough break in, and it will be good to go. Also try other brands of ammo, mine is a little fussy.
    I heard that there are planned QC differences between pistols bound to be called M9s and those that will be B92s. Is this true? Do they really have a lessor standard for the millitary bound weapons? I sure hope not...

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by ScaredOnce View Post
    I heard that there are planned QC differences between pistols bound to be called M9s and those that will be B92s. Is this true? Do they really have a lessor standard for the millitary bound weapons? I sure hope not...
    No. Beretta is not going to put out a lesser grade pistol for military use, especially if they want that money to keep coming in. Beretta has been around for over 400 years, and they are pretty adament on quality control. The two guns are identicle with minor exceptions.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by mjf View Post
    I have a Beretta 92FS and it started having a few problems. The weapon will not always extract the casing after a shot is fired, sometimes it will just stay in the chamber. Also, sometimes when the casing is extracted the next round will not properly feed.
    The Beretta open top design means that limp wristing should have no effect.

Best guess: dirty or chipped extractor.

Misfeeding: more details, please. The slide could just be too dry (not enough lube).

(Fulton County)

id start with the extractor and work from there

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast