Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Any CQB training resources?

So far I've been unable to attend any courses, but I'd like to expand my knowledge of CQB tactics and techniques.. I'd appreciate any DVDs/books forums or websites that'll help me in that specific endeavor. Particularly with a rifle/carbine. Not so much thinking handgun.

And yes, I'm searching this forum as well for old related posts.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Any CQB training resources?

No offense intended, but I have to ask what purpose you think training in CQB/MOUT style tactics will serve you in the private/civillian sector. I know it looks all whiz bang cool when you see the "operators" (usually actors) doing it on the History channel, but the fact is that CQB is dangerous, labor intensive, requires a level of fitness that most don't posess, and a plethora of specialized equipment that serves to mitigate some of the risks involved. To top it all off such tactics are pretty much useless in any scenario that you are likely to encounter in the really real world of civillian home defense.

You freely admit that you have no other training, so I would recommend hitting up some basic defensive pistol/rifle training from a reputable instructor and getting a good solid handle on the basics because they are what is going to save your ass in a pinch. You gotta crawl before you can walk man, and you have to have a goal in mind for your training, otherwise you are just wasting your money, time, and effort on lessons that mean nothing to you and cannot be applied.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by silverado_mick View Post
    No offense intended, but I have to ask what purpose you think training in CQB/MOUT style tactics will serve you in the private/civillian sector. I know it looks all whiz bang cool when you see the "operators" (usually actors) doing it on the History channel, but the fact is that CQB is dangerous, labor intensive, requires a level of fitness that most don't posess, and a plethora of specialized equipment that serves to mitigate some of the risks involved. To top it all off such tactics are pretty much useless in any scenario that you are likely to encounter in the really real world of civillian home defense.

. . . .
    There is a problem is in the definition of "CQB." I completely agree with you that military small unit tactics, as well as individual techniques, are both useless to an ordinary civilian and beyond the physical capacity of most. I am also frustrated when schools promote enrollment by advertising that is what they teach to people who will never use that kind of training.

But to many, “CQB” (and “CQT”) means individual contact distance defense. Ordinary civilians (“harry homeowner”) can, and in my opinion should, learn some contact distance defense skills. I think this is as necessary if they are going to carry a gun as if they are not.

(Philadelphia County)

Let me provide my definition.. fighting within the confines of a building with a rifle against one or more armed individuals. No, I said I have not received training in a student-instructor fashion, not that I do not train. My training involves more physical fitness and maneuvering with an unloaded weapon practicing room clearing than live fire, obviously, because we don't seem to have any dynamic or interior ranges here in Philly. Sure wish we did. Please stick to the question rather than providing me with anecdotal "well ya gotta crawl before ya can walk bro." No offense, but its condescending.

Also there is no specialized equipment involved (under my definition) other than ones mind and something that resembles a rifle. Might as well use a stick, but I like something with sights and the proper weight so I get that ol' muscle memory down propper.

So far I've been unable to attend any courses, but I'd like to expand my knowledge of CQB tactics and techniques.. I'd appreciate any DVDs/books forums or websites that'll help me in that specific endeavor. Particularly with a rifle/carbine. Not so much thinking handgun.

And yes, I'm searching this forum as well for old related posts.
    Like for example, here's a specific thing I've been mulling over. If I'm pinned down in a room under fire and have no cover to move out of that room, what should I do? Blindly provide suppression fire in the general direction of the fire I'm receiving? Pop smoke? Make an exit through a window? I mean, I'm pretty fucked in that situation, and I'd like to improve my odds. These are the sort of things I'd like to improve my knowledge of. Perhaps I should just go read lightfighter.
    Last edited by topsykretts; October 16th, 2011 at 12:38 PM.

I wouldn't dismiss mick's advice so readily. As a civilian who has undergone formal training similar to, albeit far more reality-based than, what you are describing, I don't think his intent was condescension as much as it was a realistic assessment of how people learn these things properly.

That is all.
    Last edited by vicious; October 16th, 2011 at 02:22 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by topsykretts View Post
    Let me provide my definition.. fighting within the confines of a building with a rifle against one or more armed individuals.
    So now we know what we are talking about.

I apologize if it sounds condescending, but one is about as likely to achieve competence at fighting with a rifle by practicing on his own and reading books as one is to become competitive at Judo wrestling with his buddies on the street corner. It is posssible, but, at best, it will take much longer and waste an awful lot of training time.

So it was with me. There are simply matters of technique that one will not likely evolve on thier own, but may be shown in a few hours.

You asked for resources, this is truly my best recommendation: start with some formal training from a reputable source. If all you want is DVD's and books, go on the 'net and type in "carbine" and "fighting." You will get a long list.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by topsykretts View Post
    Let me provide my definition.. fighting within the confines of a building with a rifle against one or more armed individuals. No, I said I have not received training in a student-instructor fashion, not that I do not train. My training involves more physical fitness and maneuvering with an unloaded weapon practicing room clearing than live fire, obviously, because we don't seem to have any dynamic or interior ranges here in Philly. Sure wish we did. Please stick to the question rather than providing me with anecdotal "well ya gotta crawl before ya can walk bro." No offense, but its condescending.

Also there is no specialized equipment involved (under my definition) other than ones mind and something that resembles a rifle. Might as well use a stick, but I like something with sights and the proper weight so I get that ol' muscle memory down propper.

Like for example, here's a specific thing I've been mulling over. If I'm pinned down in a room under fire and have no cover to move out of that room, what should I do? Blindly provide suppression fire in the general direction of the fire I'm receiving? Pop smoke? Make an exit through a window? I mean, I'm pretty fucked in that situation, and I'd like to improve my odds. These are the sort of things I'd like to improve my knowledge of. Perhaps I should just go read lightfighter.
    Sorry to have offended your delicate sensibilities, that was not my intention.

Since you are obviously a cut above due to you self-taught and I'm sure battle proven tactics, I'll let you in on a little secret;

The USMC has for years been using the Call of Duty video game franchise as training for it's infantrymen. There's your answer. Get a PS3 and COD Modern Warfare and just train train train to your hearts content. When you can achieve the nuke killstreak three times, you are ready to deploy to Afghanistan.

Since you saw through my attempts to talk you out of learing the secrets of indoor combat, I figured I'd better just tell you the truth before you got angry with me.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by silverado_mick View Post
    Sorry to have offended your delicate sensibilities, that was not my intention.

Since you are obviously a cut above due to you self-taught and I'm sure battle proven tactics, I'll let you in on a little secret;

The USMC has for years been using the Call of Duty video game franchise as training for it's infantrymen. There's your answer. Get a PS3 and COD Modern Warfare and just train train train to your hearts content. When you can achieve the nuke killstreak three times, you are ready to deploy to Afghanistan.

Since you saw through my attempts to talk you out of learing the secrets of indoor combat, I figured I'd better just tell you the truth before you got angry with me.
    I'll stick with PR.

Battle proven no. Cut above the nothing, yes.
    Last edited by topsykretts; October 16th, 2011 at 06:09 PM.

(Lancaster County)

There's quite a few DVD's that are around that cover this from various tactical training companies. I've watched quite a few of them myself, but not being a fully trained operator, I cannot state which ones are better than any others.

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy-a...638b897581bb57

In the mean time, you could always learn the Tactical Macarena.

Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Philadelphia County)

The kind of answers I'm looking for are specific books and specific videos that can at least help me learn the theory and see it done before I ever go into a class. What is so hard to understand about that? Telling me to google keywords and come up with a list is not helpful. I want suggestions of things that have benefited you personally. Maybe I'm getting negative responses because I wasn't clear enough.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast