Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Handgun Christmas Ornament

Urban Outfitters has a Christmas Tree Ornament for sale in their store and online. It is under attack by some anti-gun groups in Philly. They plan to picket the store if it is not removed.

http://www.myfoxphilly.com/myfox/pag...Y&pageId=3.2.1

Philly's Fox news has a poll on weather it is a good or tacky. I went to the Urban Outfitters web site and ordered two of them.

(Washington County)

Default Re: Handgun Christmas Ornament

I don't see the problem with this. If people don't want it, it wont sell, and off the shelf it will come. In other words, it will take care of itself. For the media to say people hanging a little gun from their tree will make people shoot each other, is well, sad. And they wonder why subscriptions are down.

(Philadelphia County)

Default urban outfitters face boycott over gun xmas ornament

maybe some of you would be interested in either getting one of these ornaments, or telling urban outfitters you think it's cool. somehow i doubt the group planning to stage the boycott spends much money at urban outfitters....

Call for Outfitters boycott
    Retailer sells ornament shaped like handgun
    By SIMONE WEICHSELBAUM
    simone@phillynews.com 215-854-5324

The latest controversial offering from Urban Outfitters has led a Philadelphia community group to call for a boycott of the popular, trendy, style-oriented store.

Shoppers can buy a $6 Christmas tree ornament in the shape of a handgun from the international chain in order to "bust a cap in your tree," according to urbanoutfitters.com.

Now, Bilal Qayyum, cofounder of Men United for a Better Philadelphia, wants to keep the ornament out of Philadelphia and its bullet-infested neighborhoods.

If the store doesn't comply with Qayyum's demand to remove the ornament from both Urban Outfitter's online and in-store stock, Qayyum said he will call for a boycott along with a protest outside the retailer's downtown location on Walnut Street near 17th.

"Having a gun on a Christmas tree is not proper," Qayyum said on Wednesday. "Guns are only made to kill."

Qayyum said he reached out to a manager at the Walnut Street location and described his frustration over the ornament. Other than that brief phone call, Qayyum said he hasn't heard a peep from Urban Outfitters about whether they will dump the gun.

A corporate spokesperson could not be reached for comment because of the Thanksgiving holiday.

But a quick search of the word "gun" on the Urban Outfitters Web site turned up about 10 weapon-chic items, ranging from $8 assault-rifle-decorated underwear to a $60 gun-shaped vase.

"It is like they are trying to educate a whole new generation of kids about guns," Qayyum said.

Critics have slammed Urban over the past few years for selling "Ghettopoly" (a version of Monopoly centered on the sale of housing projects and crack houses) and hawking T-shirts with a variety of rude slogans such as "New Mexico, Cleaner than Regular Mexico" and "Voting is for Old People".

(Franklin County)

Default Re: urban outfitters face boycott over gun xmas ornament

"It is like they are trying to educate a whole new generation of kids about guns," Qayyum said.

Somebody has to do it. The liebrals sure don't want to!!

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: urban outfitters face boycott over gun xmas ornament

if they'd open a store around here I'd give'm a few buck.

(Union County)

I also ordered one the ornaments--Not because I want to put it on my Christmas Tree, but to show support for the Company.
    They have the right to sell what this want and I have the right to purchase what I want.

grizz

I'm buying one for the same reason as Grizz. Also, because I can...this is completely silly thing to boycott...if you don't want one...don't buy one.

(Montgomery County)

Toy guns were a staple of things you give children at Christmas. And still are in most parts of the country. Most of the ornaments are copies of toys.

This is just an small group of people trying to show they are on the job. "See me working hard for you?" "Now send me money".

(Montgomery County)

They came. Cute little things. Glad I got them.

(Carbon County)

Darn I was JUST in their stor ein King of Prussia and didnt se them
    BTW they sell a Charlie Brown's sad "little tree" if anyone is interested
    if you ever see my post edited...its most likely for speling :D
    "Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges"-In Time of War the Law Falls Silent-Cicero
    "Si vis pacem, para bellum"-If you want peace, prepare for war-Flavius Vegetius Renatus

"America Starts Here!"-former PA state Slogan...until NJ complained and our wussy GovRendell changed it!